question about how to lose weight

Options
Hi all:flowerforyou: I do at least an hour of cardio about 5 days a week. I rotate between the bike, elliptical, crosstrainer and the stairmaster. I am just now working on figuring out how to keep track of my calories. I am wondering if an hour of cardio 5 days a week is a good goal for trying to lose weight. I feel that I should be losing more wieght. I am just starting to track what I eat.

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    you may be doing too much cardio. especially if you just started. I'd focus just as much on building muscle as you do burning calories because muscle burns more calories overall. A Personal trainer would probably be able to help you find what works for you best.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Exercise is key. But it is more important to track your calories in and calories out . Doing that much cardio, you may or may not be eating enough. See how you do with exercise in tandem with the calorie count.
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would rotate cardio and weight/ strength training every other day. One hour of cardio is a good amt. Its true that you need to build muscle also, so its important to strength train. If you go to the gym use the machines or free weights, but really try hard. I see people at the gym just sit at a machine, do like 2 reps, and just sit there and look around.
    the days that i strength train i usually warm up on the tredmill or eliptical for about 15 mins.
    I know we all cant afford a personal trainer ( at least I cant), but you may find strength training classes at your local gym or YMCA.
    If you use free weights at home I would reccomend you tube. There are alot of classes you can watch on how to do lifts, squats, lunges, ect correctly.
    How much do you weigh? If you are very overweight, it may be easier to lose up to 2lbs per week.
    If you are only a little overweight, you should probably shoot for 1 lb a week. The heavier you are, the easier the weight will come off.
    I hoped this helped some:flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson4041
    Options
    You also have to take into account that muscle weighs more than fat....so you still may be losing INCHES and not weight. Make sure that you are eating enough so that your body doesn't start storing the fat because it thinks you are starving it. :wink: hopes this helped some...