Sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sodium can be bad for some and less bad for others. It's never good in excess and some times it takes years for this sort of thing to cause a detectable health concern. It is like smoking cigarettes, for some it is a killer,and for others it is just bad.
    Wow...you did not just compare sodium intake to smoking. I really hope that was a joke
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Interesting, if conflicting, answers. :smile: Thanks for chiming in y'all.

meh. for someone your age, stay under 2500mg and exercise.
    I personally adhere to the 1500mg recommendation for those of us in the pre-fossil stage of life.
    But a caveat on going low Na is to keep K up. If you don't get the right salts balance, and you go for a hard work out, cramping becomes a factor.
    So, in short, for most normal walks of life and activity, sodium is not a factor. If you want to track and find out, that's a very good thing.
    Most prepared and processed foods are sodium land mines since salt is a low budget flavor enhancer that can make many lousy things taste"good".
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yes, healthy kidneys do adapt to filter excess salt
    As you get older it becomes more of a problem, that was what I was getting at.
    Still wouldn't recommend it in large quantities though.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    Sodium in itself, does not cause high blood pressure. High blood pressure is occurs when your kidneys can't filter enough salts like sodium. Your kidneys adapt to a regular sodium intake, when you go over that value, the excess salt can't be filtered out and water will be retained (since water always follows salts) causing an increase in blood volume, leading to an increase in blood pressure.

But, your kidneys can adapt to salt intake. The kidneys aren't as fast at compensating as the lungs...they take roughly 3-5 days to adjust to higher salt intake.

Intake a CONSISTENT amount of sodium and there will be no water retention (causing elevated BP) since your kidneys will be adapted to filtering that amount on a daily basis
    I consistently get about 10g salt a day, BP is 106/68mmHg

You only need to limit salt if you have kidney impairment (diabetes)
    I am so sick of people not having a clue about sodium or how kidneys work
    <---Pharmacy student/chemist/science dork/anatomy physiology dork

I like your explanation of how sodium and the kidneys work--and I've taken two years worth of anatomy and physiology.

I know I need to work on reducing my sodium intake, partly because of a family history of type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

What would be considered large quantities?
  • soilsrus
    soilsrus Posts: 1
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic has a nice article on sodium intake, some of which shows up in this thread:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

Like so may other things, know your body and what its capable of. Eat and exercise accordingly.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

What would be considered large quantities?
    Im afraid to answer this now, I think over 2500
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Some people are more sodium sensitive then others. I eat more than my limit and my blood pressure goes sky high and I retain a crap load of water. I guess those that say otherwise are not sensitive to it.

Go check Mayo website. It is not good for ANYONE to go over especially if you are in a high risk group. The human body needs less than 50 mg a day (can't remember exact number and too lazy to look it up) so if you eat more than recommended 2300 mg you are already giving your body much more than it needs.

According to what I have found, very few people can ever get off blood pressure meds if they go on. Do yourself a favor and just don't go there. I am on them and they suck beyond belief. I take them even an hour late and it throws me off for the day and I feel like crap.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Some people are more sodium sensitive then others. I eat more than my limit and my blood pressure goes sky high and I retain a crap load of water. I guess those that say otherwise are not sensitive to it.

Go check Mayo website. It is not good for ANYONE to go over especially if you are in a high risk group. The human body needs less than 50 mg a day (can't remember exact number and too lazy to look it up) so if you eat more than recommended 2300 mg you are already giving your body much more than it needs.

According to what I have found, very few people can ever get off blood pressure meds if they go on. Do yourself a favor and just don't go there. I am on them and they suck beyond belief. I take them even an hour late and it throws me off for the day and I feel like crap.

My bp is usually dead normally, or even low, so I don't *think* I'm super sensitive. But...there is a history of heart disease and whatnot in my family. Interesting stuff....
  • Blizz970
    Blizz970 Posts: 4
    Options
    OMG! I just started to track my sodium intake for the last week. I'm taking in over 3000mg a day and some days over 5000mg. I've been on blood pressure medication for over 10 years, I exercise regualrly, I thought I ate pretty well. Now I get it! :ohwell: I just never knew how much sodium I was eating every day. My poor, poor kidneys...

Time for a real change in diet.

Blizz
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Your weight and age is the major factor, seriously sodium intake above what is recommended contributes to about a 2mmHg increase whereas losing every 10lbs contributes 14mmHg decrease
    Stop blaming sodium for high blood pressure

My BP was 130/85 when I weighed 185lbs, down to 106/68 at 167 lbs, I ate the same amount of salt at both weights
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    <---Pharmacy student/chemist/science dork/anatomy physiology dork

Would you happen to know anything about the calcium/magnesium relationship? I was checking out the supplements at Vitamin Shoppe not too long ago and one of the sales associates (possibly the manager on shift) lectured me for 45 minutes on how Americans consume too much calcium and not nearly enough magnesium (stating how a significant number of food & beverages are fortified with calcium). She went on about how too much calcium is bad for the heart and we need to get more magnesium to "balance it out." Anyway, I've never heard anything like this before, but it was interesting and I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could elaborate on this. Thanks!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't really care whether it's good or bad for you, or whether the person is doing it on a consistent basis... MY concern is that anytime I see someone consistently going over on sodium, they are usually eating absolute junk all the time. Fast food, processed food, lots of boxed stuff, as those items are so high in sodium. I'm a believer of junk in moderation (I just had a teeny slice of cheesecake, so I speak with fresh experience!) but sometimes I look at peoples' diaries and want to gag. It DOES make you retain water though, so if for nothing else... lay off the sodium before an event or photos being taken.
  • Blizz970
    Blizz970 Posts: 4
    Options
    It is partially hereditary. My mom and dad both have high blood pressure. When I was in my 20's and joined the army, I was jogging every other day, and practicing karate 3-4 times a week. I was in great shape and only weighed 180lbs. Imagine my surprise when the doctor doing my physical said, your blood pressure is a little high (140/80). I didn't think much of it then.

Then I got married and put on 60 pounds (she's a great cook). I went to a physical and the doctor was going to put me in the hospital (206/102). I started on blood pressure medication and began to exercise without changing my diet. I dropped 20 lbs but my blood pressure remained high, unless I take my meds.

I've have 3 different doctors and they only prescribe meds. Not one has ever asked about my diet or exercise. I think they only want to push blood pressure medication, not really help.

Now that I see how much sodium I'm taking in, I can reduce it and see if it helps my blood pressure. Plus, I'm still trying to dump another 40 lbs.