hips lock up..

Options
Yesterday I was doing the P90x for abs and one of the exercises made my hip have a shooting pain like a charlie horse only not as.. inmoveable.. I don't know if I should try to push through the pain or just skip that exercise all together. Has anyone else had this happen?

Should mention very new to working out thing. Single mom who has been very lazy over the last few years lol

Replies

• thelandofwin
    Options
    Definitely not! You should stop, rest, and if it keeps up, see a doctor.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    ok just wanted to make sure. I know they say to push through the pain but I wasn't sure if this was they pain they were talking about lol
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you are new to working out, try P90 instead of P90x

or really, try anything for 'beginners'. Because P90x is NOT for beginners. Be careful with yourself.

and yeah, don't 'push through' any sorts of pain like that. it can be dangerous!
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my knee sometimes acts up when i work out. i would try taking an anti inflammatory medicine, i just use ibuprofen, an hour before i work out. it seems to really help!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    They're just hips for crying out loud. It's not like you need them or anything.

Seriously, take it slower in that area and if it becomes a real problem see a doc.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I know p90x is out of my range but it looked so fun I had to try it! I'll wait till I can do regular sit ups with no problem before I attempt it again lol
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I was doing ab ripper x, but had to stop because it was causing me a lot of hip flexor issues. It got a little better, but they still feel very tight.
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    It's important to work at your fitness level. I'm annoyed because I've been playing tennis for a couple of years and recently started running. It's so frustrating to have no pace at all, but my heart rate monitor doesn't lie and I have to force myself to slow down.

Also, for anyone who cares, taking an anti-inflammatory before working out is not recommended because it hinders muscle repair (this was a scientific study done in professional athletes).