My biggest fear...

Options
I have a huge fear that when I lose my weight I'm going to have a lot of loss hanging skin...I wanna be toned and fit...I'm 5'1 198lbs my highest weight was 210. I'm 22 years old...does anyone have any tips or anything words or advice that can help me lose this fear so I can get serious about losing weight?

Replies

• fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    Check out these websites:
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx
    http://ifitandhealthy.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
    Most importantly, you'll feel healthier and better overall if you lose the weight.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to soothe your fear about this, but I'm really interested in knowing what other people have to say. I'm in a similar boat though; I'm 5'4" and at my highest I was 192lbs and I'm 19, but I've had almost a constant 60(ish)lbs over what I should've been for the last 12 years (give or take).

If anything, it's also my biggest fear with weightloss!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm not very touchy feely so sorry if this sounds a bit on the harsh side, I don't mean it to be.

You will never know until you go there. Every body is different so you cannot take someone else's experience and expect to duplicate it. Take the plunge. If you do then get a tummy tuck. What is worse being overweight/obese and all the health concerns that has or losing the weight and maybe having a bit of lose skin.

I already know I will have some. So I keep it off for a while and then consider going in for a touch up. I know I will be much happier in the normal weight range.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    you just don't know until you get there. some people are born with the genes that allow their skin to bounce right back, others are not.

drink lots of water. eat healthy. lose your weight slowly so the skin can try it's best to bounce back.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    According to the trainers & members at my gym, the ideal situation is doing lots of cardio & "core-building" stuff (like Pilates) ..... starting now !

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just figure that loose skin won't kill you, obesity will!

Lose the weight for the sake of your health and worry about the skin later. If you are young and well nourished, it will eventually shrink back some.

Just like your weight loss, though, nothing happens in a hurry. Be patient, be diligent, be healthy.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds and I do have some loose skin, but much less than I expected. I have some on my lower abdomen and some on my inner thighs. While it's not super model attractive by any means, my body sure as hell looks better then it did 110 pounds ago. In fact, I'm seriously considering rocking a bikini top with board shorts for the first time ever, because the rest of my body, including my upper abdomen, arms and legs, look pretty good.

It is what it is, and loose skin is no worse than rolls of fat or cellulite. Shrug.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You're still young and 210 isn't that bad. I wouldn't worry about it. Besides worrying all the time raises cortisol levels. Try watching some funnies on youtube instead. Anything where somebody dubs strategically placed farts over movie scenes always works for me.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had surgery, went from a size 3x to a size 10, she exercised the whole time.

She didn't need to have any skin removed, she got it tight. ☺
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    No loose saggy skin here..... Just keep up the exercise and you'll know when you get there.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds with another 20 to go and I hate the way I look. I've started more weight training so I really hope it helps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Lose slowly (1-2lbs a week). Moisturise. Drink water.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    According to the trainers & members at my gym, the ideal situation is doing lots of cardio & "core-building" stuff (like Pilates) ..... starting now !

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

hahaha... I'm sorry but.... are you serious? are these Personal Trainers even qualified? :huh:
  • cpiccerilli
    cpiccerilli Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As most people have said, the best way to avoid loose skin is to lose the weight slowly (as frustrating as that is!). That is one reason why MyFitnessPal only lets you set a goal of losing up to 2 lbs. per week (also, it's just healthier for you!). If you lose the weight slowly and maintain a balanced exercise routine, your body is better able to repair and recover. You are also very young, so your skin elasticity is very high, which will help your skin tighten up as you lose the weight. Make sure you are not only eating healthy for your body and weight loss goals, but maybe talk to a doctor/nutritionist (or just google it, like I do!) about foods that will be extra healthy for your skin (in addition to lots of water), to help your skin even more. Good luck!!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'll just reiterate what a lot of people have said.

1. You are young, so you have that in your favor.
    2. Losing more slowly will give the skin time to adjust.
    3. Lifting heavy will help firm up and tone.
    4. Stay hydrated to keep your skin healthy.

If you do loose fast and find you have some loose skin, be patient and continue to exercise. Sometimes it takes it a little longer to rebound.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree with others... You won't know until you get there. Everyone is different, and things like age and genetics play a role.

I was always a yo-yo dieter when young... never had an issue with loose skin. Now that I'm older, I do have some on my lower abdomen and my thighs. But... I I keep exercising and I hope it will decrease some. I've been doing mostly cardio, so I know I need to work the weights and other core exercises. And remember... Loose skin is definitely better and healthier than being overweight!!!