5'1 1/2 F with 100+ pounds to lose

Options
hey guys. im new to this site and would like for all of us shorties out their to get together and talk about what works good for them. i have a lot of weight to lose and i wanna know whats the best way to go about this. i also wanna make new friends who will keep me motivated and inspired to do what i need to do better myself.

Replies

• carol5822
    carol5822 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is carol and I am short too same as you. I have a lot of weight to lose, 50+ and would welcome your companionship on the journey. I too believe it is harder for us petites, but recently read a book called "the Petite Advantage" by Jim Karras that explained a few things to me. He said, think of yourself as a baby swimming pool, surrounded by full size pools with more capacity. They hold more, and we overflow sooner. And what happens to our overflow? Turns to fat. So it is important for us to keep our intake within the boundaries of our pool size.

I also wonder, what do you think about going out to dinner with your friends and family, and where they order food I would be just as happy and much more healthy to order coffee and sip as they eat. I hate to miss the social life but my pool just won't hold it and one night out can wreck a week of good calorie counting.
  • carol5822
    carol5822 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can see that you are a young and beautiful African American woman and I am a mid sixties Scottish German woman but we have a lot in common and maybe we can pass some tips back and forth. Our issues are unique to us and the other petites on the site. Thanks for posting>

Carol
  • milkdudd0486
    milkdudd0486 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is carol and I am short too same as you. I have a lot of weight to lose, 50+ and would welcome your companionship on the journey. I too believe it is harder for us petites, but recently read a book called "the Petite Advantage" by Jim Karras that explained a few things to me. He said, think of yourself as a baby swimming pool, surrounded by full size pools with more capacity. They hold more, and we overflow sooner. And what happens to our overflow? Turns to fat. So it is important for us to keep our intake within the boundaries of our pool size.

I also wonder, what do you think about going out to dinner with your friends and family, and where they order food I would be just as happy and much more healthy to order coffee and sip as they eat. I hate to miss the social life but my pool just won't hold it and one night out can wreck a week of good calorie counting.

i went out to eat yesterday with a friend. I just ordered a water. Normally i would have gotten an appetizer and a meal. but it funny how since ive been doing this i no longer have the need to just stuff myself with large amounts of food. im way more conscience about what i put into my body
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'0. Started out having to lose 40 lbs before MFP. I am down 26 lbs and still have about 15-20 I'd like to lose. It's hard being short and losing weight! :) Sent you a request.
  • veve173
    veve173 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm only just 5"2 and I am aiming to lose 14 pounds, i've only recently joined and overall I am not finding it too bad, but I struggle to reach my calorie intake of 1,200 without going over my carb and protein allowance.. I try to eat lots of fruit but this has carbs and it makes me go over my limit and I can have much protein at all it seems.. anyone have suggestions?
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5'1 1/2, and I have another 60lbs to loose, Ive already lost 20 so far since Jan. Very slow going process. But I have some things in place the I am doing to get this fat off of me. MFP is a very invaluable source of help. Tracking and the message boards are an addiction to me.

Good luck to everyone, friend me if you want more support.

Christine
  • milkdudd0486
    Options
    I'm only just 5"2 and I am aiming to lose 14 pounds, i've only recently joined and overall I am not finding it too bad, but I struggle to reach my calorie intake of 1,200 without going over my carb and protein allowance.. I try to eat lots of fruit but this has carbs and it makes me go over my limit and I can have much protein at all it seems.. anyone have suggestions?

i have the same problem. i also tend to go over my sodium intake also. right now im just focusing on not going over the 1200 calories a day and then i will worry about everything else. but so far so good.
  • milkdudd0486
    Options
    Hello,

I am 5'1 1/2, and I have another 60lbs to loose, Ive already lost 20 so far since Jan. Very slow going process. But I have some things in place the I am doing to get this fat off of me. MFP is a very invaluable source of help. Tracking and the message boards are an addiction to me.

Christine

i dont know what i would do without these message boards. at first i thought that this site wasn't going to help me at all, but seeing all these other success stories and all the before and after pictures makes me wanna do better. its hard being on a diet when everybody else you know can eat whatever they want. Even though i will probably never meet any of the friends i have on here everyone of them i have has been so supportive and helped keep me motivated.
  • milkdudd0486
    Options
    Hello,

Christine

oh by the way congratulations on your weight loss!!!!!
  • skammerich
    skammerich Posts: 5
    Options

i have the same problem. i also tend to go over my sodium intake also. right now im just focusing on not going over the 1200 calories a day and then i will worry about everything else. but so far so good.

For a while, I was going insane trying to worry about all those different categories. I decided to focus on the calories alone as well and I've had success. I've read other message boards and a lot of members feel the protein allowances are too low anyway. Good luck!
  • Ilikepie121
    Options
    Hi
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5' 1" and still have about 95 lbs to lose too.

Congrats on starting your journey to a healthier you!
  • milkdudd0486
    Options
    Hi

well hello there :smile:
  • web9816
    web9816 Posts: 4
    Options
    hey guys. im new to this site and would like for all of us shorties out their to get together and talk about what works good for them. i have a lot of weight to lose and i wanna know whats the best way to go about this. i also wanna make new friends who will keep me motivated and inspired to do what i need to do better myself.

Hey welcome to the site. I am Kim and I have to say that honestly this site for me is better than sliced bread LITERALLY! I signed up on the site May 1st and I am proud to say since then and now I am down 12 pounds got about 50 to 55 more to go. I am also looking for a buddy to help with weight loss and would love to team up with you on this. My biggest tip make sure you log everything don't cheat. The realization of really how much I was eating by seeing the numbers really got me on track. The highlight of my day is putting in what I eat (healthy food) and logging my exercise and watching the calories increase because I have to eat. I find it hilarious that now I have to try and up my calories. In addition to the exercising and eating much better I will say I am on Adipex, Lipo-B shot and I have 2 other appetite suppressants that I do not take consistently.
  • fletchbaby
    fletchbaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm also short 5'2 and have 60 lbs to lose!!!! Friend me!
  • kshafer54
    kshafer54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    conscious
  • macro47
    macro47 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I'm not an expert but I have lost 13 lbs in just under 3 weeks. I take a LOT of protien in (120g-200g). I don't think that it should be looked at as a limiting factor like carbs. Also, there are good carbs and bad carbs. As long as you are getting the carbs from fruits, I think you should be fine. Stay away from complex carbs and such though. Just my thoughts on that. Hope it helps.
  • veve173
    veve173 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice :) its a great help and i think i will just use my calories and ignore the rest a little, i dont take in much fat at all so i think i deserve my calories :) its just that because i am not classed as overweight but healthy i find the weight harder to lose, but i look overweight in appearance and i just want to lose a bit here and there before my holiday
    mfp has been so motivating to keep under the calories! good luck everyone