I have no idea how to figure out my goal weight

Options
to start, I am one of those people who have been playing sports since the age of 6. I carry a lot of muscle.

My BMI is currently over weight due to some mysterious weight gain earlier this year that I've asked 3 doctors about and my wonderful gallbladder surgeon told me my weight was unhealthy. I currently wear a US size 4 or a small in most clothes.

I've used the military body fat calculator and goal weight. My body fat is normal, but if i plug in 21% body fat, it's still giving me a weight over weight by BMI.

I would like to lose mysterious weight gain, but I also know I tend to go overboard freaking out about my BMI then I get all runty and mean to people

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why do you care about BMI? It doesn't work for v. muscular people. It's a nonsense scale.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why do you care about BMI? It doesn't work for v. muscular people. It's a nonsense scale.

This. Most professional athletes would be obese according to the BMI.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderfully confusing situation! I agree with Seamonkey -- don't worry about BMI. I think that it might be best to just focus on WHAT you eat. Now that you've had surgery, isn't it important to alter your diet in order to compensate for the loss of your gallbladder? I think that taking care of your body's new needs (BMI aside) will probably be your best bet. My twin had gallbladder surgery about 4 years ago and found herself unable to tolerate fatty foods and lactose so she lost a ton of weight.

Your post leads me to wonder a couple of things. First, are you on hormonal birth control? I noticed that it MURDERED my metabolism and I literally found myself overweight just about overnight. I read an article that it sometimes destroys the metabolism (I'm grossly simplifying this) more slowly so, coupled with getting older and stress, you might find yourself unable to shake the weight gain even after you quit the birth control.

In addition -- birth control has been directly linked to gallbladder disease.