I'm 112 lbs trying to gain wieght...any tips will help

Options
I'm 5"1 & 112lbs and im trying to gain wieght but it's really been hard....I struggle with getting the recommended amount of calories in everyday because I don't have a huge appettite...im a stay at home mom of three kids..4yr old and 1 yr old twins...soo im very busy....what are some ways i can get in my calories without eating a lot...thanks in advance

Replies

• territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    You need to eat. You need the energy to keep up with your babies.

When my son was going into the Army last year, he failed the weight portion of his physical by 1 pound. 1 stinking pound!!!! They gave him a week to gain it. I made sure he ate 3 squares a day loaded with protein. And protein shakes for snacks. When he went back a week later he gained 5 pounds. His recruiter was laughing and asked how much of the cooking did mom and dad do. My son told him all of it. It was a tough week for him and at one time he told me to stop feeding him so freaking much. And I made him a ham sandwich after he said that.
    He is still a skinny little turd. But I am proud of him.
  • brons2
    brons2 Posts: 6
    Options
    eat PB&J and drink chocolate milk. If you make it on that extra size orowheat bread, that's about 800-900 calories right there between the sandwich and the milk.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"1 & 112lbs and im trying to gain wieght but it's really been hard....I struggle with getting the recommended amount of calories in everyday because I don't have a huge appettite...im a stay at home mom of three kids..4yr old and 1 yr old twins...soo im very busy....what are some ways i can get in my calories without eating a lot...thanks in advance

Don't get low or non-fat versions of anything - full fat, milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt. This also means less sugar usually added to make up for the taste.
    Fatty vegetables, olives and avocados.
    Almonds, pecans, ect.

More protein, and weight bearing exercises to build up the muscle.

Usually once you start eating more, your metabolism will rise, and you'll get hungry. Of course problem there is you are now burning more all day, but you can still out-eat that.
  • Peachycherries
    Peachycherries Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem!!
    Shes been drinking ensure protein shakes and they seem to be help. They come pre-made..
    Along with breakfast lunch and dinner she is able to maintain 115 at 5'6... Drink at least 2 per day
    still very petite but if she doesnt have the shakes she loses weight!
  • AmyLyn1983
    AmyLyn1983 Posts: 100
    Options
    My mother had a problem with gaining weight as well. Her doctor advised her to start drinking protein shakes. Evidently protein is the way to go. Good luck :drinker:
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN. Protein, water, & weights.

Good luck on your journey!
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Umm Some people can't just eat to gain weight. I had a friend that was 112 and very skinny. what ever she ate she just could never gain weight.. It is your metabolism.. Must be very high.

If you have a problem talk to the doctor..
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problem!!
    Shes been drinking ensure protein shakes and they seem to be help. They come pre-made..
    Along with breakfast lunch and dinner she is able to maintain 115 at 5'6... Drink at least 2 per day
    still very petite but if she doesnt have the shakes she loses weight!

Ensure isn't necessarily the way to go. It's processed, & full of crap. My mom was on that stuff when she was dying of cancer. It tastes like candy, but it's high in sugar & fat.

My advice - Try ViSalus, or Whey Protein Powder in a shake you mix yourself. Get some almond milk (you won't taste the difference, I promise) & some frozen fruits for the freezer. It takes less than a minute to pop a scoop in the blender, pour in some almond milk & drop a scoop of frozen berries/banana, etc. in the blender in the morning. Some blenders even mix right into cups so it's great when you're on the run.

I know ViSalus has a bunch of recipes too so you can't get sick of the flavour... there's even some that taste like Butterfinger Candy Bars, Smores, etc. That are still reasonably low-calorie, but high protein & fibre. The other thing with a meal replacement shake program like Isogenics or ViSalus is that they provide a TON of vitamins & minerals that you might not get as a busy mom with a low apetitie. Could have a ton of benefits for you!
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Nuts and meat! Nuts for the calories, meat for the protein.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The majority of people on here increase their protein intake to help with weight LOSS and to SURPRESS appetite.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Calorie dense foods....nuts and nut butters.....I agree full fat everything dairy....olives....avocados.....I'd make a trail mix with nuts and dried fruits. Eat more often even if you only eat a little bit.

And I'd talk to your doctor or a nutritionist if you're really concerned.
  • audreyj1982
    Options
    I have an update! I finally now at 128lbs...my appetite has picked up and very happy with my progress
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Edit: lol - just noticed it was an update bump.

OP: good for you!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Nothing to see here...