Don't get this, sugar levels

Options
Been active here for a month now, sporting, tracking food, but not losing weight. So this morning I thought I would eat fruit for breakfast. 1 apple and 100 grams grapes. And what do I see, I already have all my sugar intake for the day with those 2 fruits. How is that possible? I thought sugar was healthy for you?

Anyone any insight in this?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    MFP does not seperate natural sugar and added sugar. I took sugar off my list because I was ALWAYS over - even a plateful of carrots & bell peppers put me over for the day.
  • 115perfection
    115perfection Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with MFPs sugar levels for this exact reason.
    I stopped logging sugar because of it.
    If you want to long sugar, I suggest you keep logging but subtract the non-refined sigars ("healthy" sugars, like from fruits)
    The only annoying thing is those stupid red numbers!

Hope I helped :flowerforyou:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it too much. the sugar found in whole foods (though you did pick two very sweet ones) are usually paired with a lot of fiber so it's not as big of a deal.

for future ref, though, you might want to consider having something savory along with one of them or space them out through the day.

not the end of the world. i had this same concern a little while back and started tracking my fiber to sugar ratio and have found that i'm well under desirable goals, despite being "over" in my sugar count because mfp doesn't separate table sugar from food sugar.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I believe it is from the grapes, allthough red apples have lots of natural sugar too. Don't feel bad I'm learning the whole food thing too. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can help each other with the foods. Also feel free to look at the new foods I've been eating, under 1200 but I feel so much better as I lose the weight.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Check out the glycemic index....It is what I use to eat fruit. Some are much lower and don't spike your blood sugar, along with other foods.
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies. I already searched a bit in Dutch on Google and it said not to worry, that it is different sugars. So that helps.

I am just so frustrated that I am not losing weight, eventhough I am watching so much what I eat.:(
  • sassynurse78
    Options
    Dont be so hard on yourself for losing slowly, it is frustrating, but why get too upset if the scale is going down and not up? I have had some weeks where I lose 0 and I was getting so irritated that I worked so hard and nothing to show. But I have learned that success is not always on the scale. i am very happy I am taking control of my life and moving in the right direction that I now tell myself when the scale says 0 at the end of a week that I am doing this right. I didn't get overweight overnight and I wont lose it that way either!
  • XstitchCarina
    XstitchCarina Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dont be so hard on yourself for losing slowly, it is frustrating, but why get too upset if the scale is going down and not up? I have had some weeks where I lose 0 and I was getting so irritated that I worked so hard and nothing to show. But I have learned that success is not always on the scale. i am very happy I am taking control of my life and moving in the right direction that I now tell myself when the scale says 0 at the end of a week that I am doing this right. I didn't get overweight overnight and I wont lose it that way either!

Thanks. The thing is I have only been at it for almost a month and I lost a bit, but then it came back on again. Will be officially weighed at the gym on Tuesday, so am at least hoping that my fat percentage has gone down.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Been active here for a month now, sporting, tracking food, but not losing weight. So this morning I thought I would eat fruit for breakfast. 1 apple and 100 grams grapes. And what do I see, I already have all my sugar intake for the day with those 2 fruits. How is that possible? I thought sugar was healthy for you?

Anyone any insight in this?

In my twisted nutritional world fruit is treated like a desert, the amounts of fructose in fruit means it has be that way, for me anyway.

I would dispute the idea that any kind of sugar (either sucrose or fructose) or anything that metabolises down to glucose is inherently healthy for you.

And this includes all the well-cited theories such as the body needing glucose to function optimally, it doesn't.

You may want to spend 15 minutes watching "Sugar, The Bitter Truth (Short Version)" on YouTube. This is where I started this journey some months ago (on a weight loss plateau, hungry, feeling deprived and sick ... all sorted now).

If this gets your interest then I can point you towards other resources that have resulted in me minimising my sugar intake and setting myself a daily carbohydrate limit of 30g, mostly coming from vegetables.

You may also want to check my MFP blog, if only to laugh at my delusions.

Having said all this, if you are going to consume carbohydrate then breakfast is probably the best time, at least the body will burn all that quick energy through the morning ... especially if, as you say, you are 'sporty'.

People can either be sugar burners or fat burners during the day and I know which one I like best.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic, so watch the sugar in everything.

I don't worry if I'm over from fruit, I just try and eat it earlier in the day.