Close to goal weight, 10-15 pounds to go...

Options
I'm pretty close to my goal weight and I'm feeling like I have a hard time losing. I know when it comes down to being very close to your goal weight that it gets a lot harder, so I'm wanting to hear from people like me that have achieved their goals. I've never been seriously overweight, so trying to shed these pounds seems to be so hard since I feel like I've modified my diet enough.

My diary is open, though don't judge me so much for the last 2 days as they haven't been great. I feel like I have started to eat a whole lot better this past month.

Thanks guys, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Geez is nobody reading this! :/
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same position. I've got 7 lbs. left until I reach my healthy BMI and 9lbs. to my goal. I had been consistently losing about 6lbs. a month, but this month I've only lost 2lbs. I'm so close to goal that I can taste it, but of course this is when I plateau!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to my goal weight and I'm feeling like I have a hard time losing. I know when it comes down to being very close to your goal weight that it gets a lot harder, so I'm wanting to hear from people like me that have achieved their goals. I've never been seriously overweight, so trying to shed these pounds seems to be so hard since I feel like I've modified my diet enough.

My diary is open, though don't judge me so much for the last 2 days as they haven't been great. I feel like I have started to eat a whole lot better this past month.

Thanks guys, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Veronica,

I can give you my opinion but in order to even attempt to give you meaningful help and not just arbitrary comments about food selection (which wont help you), I will need you to answer the following questions:

1) What is your current weight and if you know it, your current bodyfat %.
    2) Briefly describe your workout to me (and frequency) and additionally, tell me how active you are OUTSIDE of the gym. (For example: Desk job vs construction worker, etc).
    3) How much weight have you lost in the past month?]
    4) How long have you been dieting and how much have you lost since you started?

If you don't reply to this in the next 30 minutes or so, I'll be well on my way to farming loot in Diablo III and consequently, I won't get this reply. If that happens, PM me with a link to this thread and I'll get back to you with my opinion.

Best of luck to you,
    Sidesteal.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I'm just going the slooooow and steady route, and not panicKing when I see no weight changes. As long as my measurements improve, I'm happy. The only other thing I would say is that if what you're doing is not working, do so ething different. Eat more, eat less, try IF, do more strength training, less cardio or vice versa. Our bodies are amazing at adapting to what we do, so do something to break out of your routine.
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!!!! It WILL happen. Focus on how far you've come every time you start to freak out -- I'm still on the first half of this journey so think of how it felt to be in my place -- I'm excited about every lost ounce so I'm VERY, VERY, VERY proud of you!
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal

1. I'm about 145 pounds, and I used a calculator to get 36.5% body fat from this website: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm
    2. I have been doing the 30 day shred now for a little over a month and am almost done. I do that almost everyday, I have taken some rest days here and there. Also, I try to do a little extra cardio with the Dance Central game on Xbox after the 30DS for about an hour. I go to a gym every now and then, lift some weights around but nothing routine. I have a HRM so I try to aim at least over 300 cal burn every work out. I work at a grocery store so I'm on my feet for my entire shift and walk around a lot.
    3. As I look back on my progress reports I've probably only lost about 5 pounds in the last month.
    4. I joined MFP over a year ago, quit, and now back at it again. This time around I started April 12th weighing 151 pounds and am now down to 145. So a little over a month.

If you can give me feedback from that, that would be awesome! :)
  • michaeltoye
    michaeltoye Posts: 48
    Options
    If I can offer a small opinion, I would not so much worry about the last few pounds as to be comfortable with my *new lifestyle with regards to food.

Maintain and get comfortable with the healthy diet and you'll be fine; those last pounds will gradually come off ;-)
  • red_jess
    red_jess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm right there with you. I'm at 144 pounds with around 10 to go. My weight loss has slowed down, so I'm trying to mix it up a bit - spike days and different forms of exercise. So far, though, I've done pretty well with just controlling my calories, so the big challenge is not to let it slide and put the weight back on.

Good luck!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Losing over a pound a week, especially with a small weight loss goal, is nothing to be concerned bout.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Sidesteal

1. I'm about 145 pounds, and I used a calculator to get 36.5% body fat from this website: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm
    2. I have been doing the 30 day shred now for a little over a month and am almost done. I do that almost everyday, I have taken some rest days here and there. Also, I try to do a little extra cardio with the Dance Central game on Xbox after the 30DS for about an hour. I go to a gym every now and then, lift some weights around but nothing routine. I have a HRM so I try to aim at least over 300 cal burn every work out. I work at a grocery store so I'm on my feet for my entire shift and walk around a lot.
    3. As I look back on my progress reports I've probably only lost about 5 pounds in the last month.
    4. I joined MFP over a year ago, quit, and now back at it again. This time around I started April 12th weighing 151 pounds and am now down to 145. So a little over a month.

If you can give me feedback from that, that would be awesome! :)

Based on the above I think the issue is that your expectations are a bit off. Considering that you are not obese by any stretch, and you're just trying to lean out further, your rate of loss is perfectly reasonable as is, and you shouldn't strive to go any faster.

As an aside, it would benefit your body composition to do more weight training and get on an actual program. New Rules of Weightlifting for Women is a popular one around MFP and while I haven't read it, I've heard nothing but good things about it.