Juice Fasts?

Options
OK, I was under the impression that juice was tantamount to sugar water, but now everyone seems to be losing loads of weight on juice fasts. Anyone care to explain it to me?

Replies

• Blackbird16
    Blackbird16 Posts: 68
    Options
    It might be from pure juice, not the already bottled stuff you get from the shops
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    People lose weight on juice fasts because they aren't eating food. Less food in your body = less weight. Once you start eating again you gain all or most back back because it wasn't a real loss.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It might be from pure juice, not the already bottled stuff you get from the shops

It's usually this or V8 which is laden with salt.
  • xandraworld
    xandraworld Posts: 11
    Options
    But juice still has calories! If you drank enough juice, which wouldnt even be that much, you would still gain weight. Or at least not lose. And sugar makes you retain water so...?
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    Yes juice fast make you lose water weight. Even some pure fruit juice is still loaded with sugar, and like the other person said V8 has a ton of salt. IF you are going to do a fast do The Ultimate Reset, it is 21 day body reset program where you still eat 3 healthy meals a day.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    Hey, don't knock juice. Yesterday I found out a gallon of Tropicana with Lots of Pulp has over 700 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 14 grams of protein. Yes it has sugar but it is natural sugar not added.
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    Hey, don't knock juice. Yesterday I found out a gallon of Tropicana with Lots of Pulp has over 700 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 14 grams of protein. Yes it has sugar but it is natural sugar not added.
    I think juice is great, I am just coming from a diabetic stance, I am not suppsed to drink alot of juice cause of the sugar.
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I think juice is great, I am just coming from a diabetic stance, I am not suppsed to drink alot of juice cause of the sugar.

Valid point.
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I just started juicing. I only replace one meal and snacks with the jucie. Depending on what you put in the juice it can have a lot of calories. I try to use less fruit or fruit that is not loaded with sugar. It has been a way for me to incorporate veggies that I normally would not eat into my diet. It does make you go to the restroom more than normal.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    People who are juicing are likely doing mainly vegatables. We had a juice as part of dinner last night that consisted of 2 cups fresh spinach, a cucumber, six carrots, a handful of parsley and one small apple. I think it was just over 200 calories each (2 servings). We tend to do juice once a day, sometimes twice, and only use an apple or pear as a sweetener. Problem for me is that it does nothing to satisfy hunger.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Juice fasts are generally pure juice straight from the fruit. Most people I know that do juice fasts have a juicer and make their own. The juice you buy from the store is about 10% actual juice 60% sugar and the rest is juice concentrate. Basically it's crap in a jar.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just did a juice fast (juicing fruit and vegetables in a juicer - not buying the juice ready made).

There were a number of changes:

1. I hit all my targets for vitamins and minerals.
    2. I hit my targets for iron which is almost impossible for me.
    3. My hair is more shiny and my skin condition (rosacea) has cleared up. I also have stronger nails.
    4. I have been less tired.
    5. I took in between 1200 - 1500 calories per day.
    6. I lost 4.4 kilos after being stuck on a plateau for ages.
    7. Most important - I have no cravings for chocolate sweets etc. Last night we were at a bring and share with a lot of cupcakes, brownies etc and I really didn't want them. What I actually just want is my juice.

I fasted for 19 days and broke my fast only because I was super busy and couldn't be bothered to make a juice, or perhaps I would have gone on longer. I am taking a break of a few days after re-introducing food slowly and then I'll will start again. I expect to always consume fresh vegetable juice as it agrees with me.

I think this can be helpful for those with food addictions (after you get past the first few days which can be tough). Worked for me, can't say how it might work for others.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's not all fruit juice that they're doing? I throw spinach, zucchini, and beets through the juicer as well and they're comparatively lower in sugar than some of the other things you can make juice from.
  • tlboyer1
    tlboyer1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got a lot of benefits from the juice cleanse. I was wondering what recipes you used being a first time juicer. I'm thinking of starting with a 3 days cleanse and see how that goes.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I mostly used very basic recipes as I found the more exciting the recipes got they got the less I liked them. I put an apple with everything. Some recipes I have enjoyed:

carrot, apple & ginger
    lettuce, parslley & apple
    beet, beet greens & apple (is a bit earthy tasting)
    carrot, spinach and apple
    pear and lettuce
    melon just on it's own
    sweet potato and orange

Any cabbage ones were absolutely disgusting to me, but I did like bok choi in my juice.

I tried to make sure the ratio was much more leaves & veg to fruit. Stopped fasting this last Friday but am still vegetarian and between 7 May and today I have lost 1/2 a pound per day.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I did a 15 day juice fast last year for religious reasons. Juice fasting will make you lose weight bc you will lose muscle and you are not eating nearly as many calories. I wouldn't do it as a means to crash diet. I'm not a proponent of them, but I think that they work as part of an overall program for some people where juicing is not the only calories being consumed. Just my opinion.