Whats your Ab routine/workout?

Options
sundinsgurl
sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
I know that a nice stomache can be attained by eating healthy and exercising. However, I've realized after looking back at this months exercise log that I rarely work on my ab muscles, yet I want a nice stomache.

I was wondering if others on here would share what they do, so I could have some different routines/exercises to do a few times a week to get this ever so desired flat and toned tummy I'm after.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• sundinsgurl
    Options
    anyone? Pleaseeee
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I know that a nice stomache can be attained by eating healthy and exercising. However, I've realized after looking back at this months exercise log that I rarely work on my ab muscles, yet I want a nice stomache.

I was wondering if others on here would share what they do, so I could have some different routines/exercises to do a few times a week to get this ever so desired flat and toned tummy I'm after.

Thanks in advance

If you desire a flat and toned tummy, lose bodyfat. A consistent caloric deficit will do the trick.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I really like doing cable crunches. Some other exercises I'll do are: crunches on a stability ball, bicycle crucnches, decline crunches, jackknives, oblique twists with weight, reverse crunch-floor or bench. There's also side crunches but I tend to struggle with those on one side b/c of an old injury so I don't really do them.

But obviously nutrition will play the largest part but it can't hurt to build up the muscle under there :)
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I eat pretty clean and drink a ton of water.

I am a runner, so I do a lot of mileage during the week.

I also started P90X.

Although my stomach isnt perfect yet, it's definitely getting there. 4 babies later and I never thought I would even be close to where I am now...and I am about 7 months post partum.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eating right.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Eating right.

[/end]

• sundinsgurl
    Options
    Thanks for your exercises
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

Most ab-centric exercises are inefficient ways to get abs. You get a good core workout from doing other compound exercises (eg chin-ups, push-ups, squats, deadlifts). If you want to add some abdominal muscle exercises into your workout, that's fine but don't spend tons of time on them thinking they're the key to a six pack. My favorite two abdominal centric exercises would be hanging leg raises and the abdominal wheel thing. I don't do them for a six pack though, mainly just to have strong abs for other reasons.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

Most ab-centric exercises are inefficient ways to get abs. You get a good core workout from doing other compound exercises (eg chin-ups, push-ups, squats, deadlifts). If you want to add some abdominal muscle exercises into your workout, that's fine but don't spend tons of time on them thinking they're the key to a six pack. My favorite two abdominal centric exercises would be hanging leg raises and the abdominal wheel thing. I don't do them for a six pack though, mainly just to have strong abs for other reasons.

^^^^ This. I hardly work the abs outside a few planks and some ab vacuums and I have a pretty defined stomach. It is definitely all diet and compound movements help too.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I only do ab specific exercises maybe once a week since they get worked through other exercises. When I do it is usually: Weighted cable crunches, decline bench leg raises (extending the hips up as well. Don't know the name for the variation), dumbbell/plate side bends, or hanging knee raises.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    you don't really need to do ab exercises if you are doing heavy squats and deadlifts... because those exercises work your core as well. They require balance. I suck at them. Lol.

But if you really want to, the ab ripper x workout fro p90x is pretty killer...

Oh, and eating right. That's really the main thing of course. Without that you will never have a nice stomach.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I do the olympic and power lifting lifts (cleans,deads,squats, snatches, etc), and a number of other full body exercises that will work the core - but any lifter worth their weight in salt does not neglect those core exercises. It's not an effort to make 6 packs, it's assistance to ensure these other lifts and moves are safe, will work well, and help me improve. That it's beach season is a bonus and diet will take care of that (hence, MFP, to tweak diet and lean out a little).
    So at least three times a week, I will do something of the following. (usually as assistance to lifting sessions, metcon days are just that, but sometimes I'll do some of these too).

Weighted Good mornings
    GHD Situps
    Back Extensions
    Situps (various - not crunches)
    Weighted situps (or throw a med ball against a wall or with a partner)
    Hanging leg raises (toes to bar, or knees to elbows)
    Various leg lifts
    Planks

Most of these I'll do 3x20 or something, but a few , like various situps, I'll go to failure. Not all of this mind you, but 2-3 each time).

Will also stretch too - afterwards more than anything.

In addition to these core exercises, I'll also do some push-ups, dips, chin-ups, pull-ups, shrugs, pulls and such and various other things like this times as assistance work too.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I do the olympic and power lifting lifts (cleans,deads,squats, snatches, etc), and a number of other full body exercises that will work the core - but any lifter worth their weight in salt does not neglect those core exercises. It's not an effort to make 6 packs, it's assistance to ensure these other lifts and moves are safe, will work well, and help me improve. That it's beach season is a bonus and diet will take care of that (hence, MFP, to tweak diet and lean out a little).
    So at least three times a week, I will do something of the following. (usually as assistance to lifting sessions, metcon days are just that, but sometimes I'll do some of these too).

Weighted Good mornings
    GHD Situps
    Back Extensions
    Situps (various - not crunches)
    Weighted situps (or throw a med ball against a wall or with a partner)
    Hanging leg raises (toes to bar, or knees to elbows)
    Various leg lifts
    Planks

Most of these I'll do 3x20 or something, but a few , like various situps, I'll go to failure. Not all of this mind you, but 2-3 each time).

Will also stretch too - afterwards more than anything.

In addition to these core exercises, I'll also do some push-ups, dips, chin-ups, pull-ups, shrugs, pulls and such and various other things like this times as assistance work too.

Also, I like to do this often - much more interesting that 3x20 etc.
    Pick three (variety is good).
    Say Situps, In and Outs*, and fliutter kicks.
    Then do 5 sets of situps for 30s, in-outs for 20s, flutters for 10s, then rest 30s. Just keep going in each set, go as hard as you can and try not to rest.

Tabata protocol is also good. Work 20s, rest 10s, for 4 minutes. I like to do 4 things though, so work for 16.
    e.g. Situps for 4 minutes, then planks, then push-ups, then squats.
    You do situps 8x (on 20, off 10) then go into planks etc.
    Tabata is tough and can be done for anything. Probably good idea to keep it to body-weight though.
    * in-Outs: lie on back with feet and shoulders off ground, then knees to chest then feet out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating right.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Eating right.

[/end]

This.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

Like everyone's said, you won't see abs unless you reach a low BF%, but, with that being said, isometric exercises won't usually be optimal for growing the abs (or hypertrophy in general). Why not directly hit them?

Many on a traditional lifting program that is focused on growth tend to lean toward heavy weight/low reps, and then for some reason, do hundreds upon hundreds of reps for ab work. The abs aren't different than any other muscle - train them the exact same way as you would other muscles.

To answer your question, do weighted swiss ball crunches. The flexion point should be under the low back - flex and extend at the lumbar spine. And you don't need to go 'all the way up'. The back should not stay flat. Your hips should not move and neither should the ball. Think about curling your hips toward your shoulders (as if you were bringing both points together). Done correctly, you'll pound the abs.

Here is an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBddP5oW8Y

Look at his form at the 19 second mark. Full flexion/extension and no dropping of the hips.

To grow them, progressive tension overload will apply just as you would any other muscle. You can do them after legs, and obviously you need to be in a caloric surplus and have adequate protein intake.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Eating right.
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Eating right.

[/end]

AGREED!

... oh and eating right too :)
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

If you desire a flat and toned tummy, lose bodyfat. A consistent caloric deficit will do the trick.

this^^^^^^
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance

this^^^^^^

Although I do, do ab exercises as I have scoliosis and was told by my GP i should keep my core as strong as possible, I do not do it for a 6 pack.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I dont have defined ab mucles or a flat stomach but I am getting there with the help of doing turbo jam and some videos on youtube,
    Every move you do in turbo jam works your core. Here are some youtube videos I found that left me sore:

=TiffanyRoTheWorkout- 10 min booty shaking waist workout
    =TffanyRoTheWorkout-- Get flat sexy abs with Tiffany Rothe
    =Zumba fitness flat abs workout
    = Zumba fitness dance party
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bga008
    bga008 Posts: 90
    Options
    QUOTE:
    I dont have defined ab mucles or a flat stomach but I am getting there with the help of doing turbo jam and some videos on youtube,
    Every move you do in turbo jam works your core. Here are some youtube videos I found that left me sore:

=TiffanyRoTheWorkout- 10 min booty shaking waist workout
    =TffanyRoTheWorkout-- Get flat sexy abs with Tiffany Rothe
    =Zumba fitness flat abs workout
    = Zumba fitness dance party

I love you tube workouts~! They are great for all areas of the body!! Thanks for the suggestions!