Weighing yourself

Options
I am curious to know how often everyone weighs themselves. I know you really only should weigh yourself once a week, but I have a terrible habit of doing it everyday. I am trying to break the habit, because I know when i see the number go up, it can be extremely discouraging.

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know how often everyone weighs themselves. I know you really only should weigh yourself once a week, but I have a terrible habit of doing it everyday. I am trying to break the habit, because I know when i see the number go up, it can be extremely discouraging.

I weigh every day, and record officially every Monday.
  • kristynkayte
    kristynkayte Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I too get discouraged by the scale...but can't help but weigh myself every day. I record every thursday and measure.
  • lapac
    lapac Posts: 3
    Options
    Yep I am a daily weighter and I know we shouldn't. I look at it as what did I do yesterday to cause an increase? Not enough water, too much salt but I only log the once a week on my scheduled day
  • palmerb2
    palmerb2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do my official weigh in once a week..the same day of the week at the same time of the week in the same outfit..lol. However my scale is in my bathroom and I get on it everytime I see it. It is interesting to me to see how much it can vary in one day from morning till night. I do like to see that it is staying close to the same or going down so when I have my weekly weigh in I don't have any huge surprises. I am still learning how different foods effect my weight so it helps me to monitor it more closely. If it seems to go up a few pounds I stop and think of what I had to eat for the day to see why.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    There is no "you really should weigh yourself once a week." Do what you want to do. Personally, weighing every morning helps me stay on track because I see daily/weekly results. I like seeing that.
  • TXPaul
    TXPaul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale so I weigh at the same time every weekday at work. I only record on Fridays.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I weigh every day, and record officially every Monday.

^^Same here.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm a constant weigher, but really don't give the scale much creedence. I just jump on the damned thing out of habit. I go by measurements and how my clothes fit.
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    I weigh myself 2 to 3 times a week. I weigh myself Wednesday morning (midweek) just to make sure I am on target...that my weight isn't going up. That way I can make adjustments to my diet or up my workout. Then, I weigh myself Friday and Saturday mornings. Saturday is my official weigh-in day, but if the weight has dropped radically on Friday I record it then.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand your obsession and, unfortunately, I have been doing that too. As a result, I've not been getting the real picture of my weight loss. I may appear to lose a whole pound or close to it and the next day it's back. No, once a week is as often as we should weigh and even less than that is not a bad idea. Obsessing about our daily weight is not a good habit.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just weigh whenever I want. I don't set rules for it. Sometimes I wait a week or two, and sometimes I weigh daily. Depends on my mood I guess.
  • slowlylosingsam
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Sometimes I'll weigh myself out of curiosity on other days but just officially once a week!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There is no "you really should weigh yourself once a week." Do what you want to do. Personally, weighing every morning helps me stay on track because I see daily/weekly results. I like seeing that.

Me too. I weigh every morning and every night, I log it in a spreadsheet, and I have a graph showing my progress. I realize there will be daily fluctuations, so I'm not devastated by them. No one is going to have a new low weight every single day.
  • eva_lawlor
    eva_lawlor Posts: 81
    Options
    i weigh myself a few times a week even though i want to weigh myself everyday, try putting the scale someplace you have to go out of your way to get to it(:
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know how often you're "supposed" to weigh yourself, but if you want to weight yourself daily or even hourly, that's what you should do. I think it's important for frequent weighers to keep the "noise" in mind (16 ounces of water weighs plus one pound, and sixteen ounces of urine weighs minus one pound; weight varies strongly with time-of-day; the measurement uncertainty associated with a reasonably-priced scale is substantial). But a person who spends a few weeks weighing daily or more often is soon going to have a pretty good feeling for the measurement noise anyway. It's your scale -- get some enjoyment out of it!
  • P_Thomas042106
    Options
    I am also an everyday weigher. I like it this way because Then I know how the food the da before effected me. Do I need to not eat something that I ate the day before or do I need to eat more of something new I introduced. I only record once a week. at the same time in the same outfit. This away I can get a true reading. If I am in the same outfit I know that I have not unknowingly added any weight. Keep up the good work :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    . I know you really only should weigh yourself once a week...

There's been at least one study finding that people are more successful when they weigh themselves daily. It's fine to do it every day, as long as you understand that there are fluctuations related to things like water and salt intake.

I weigh myself several times a week, under the same conditions. If i'm near a computer, I enter the weight and body fat % estimate every time.
  • andreamariexo
    Options
    I weigh my self about once every week & a half. But I'm always tempted to do it every day
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i weigh myself before breakfast and after dinner everyday ( im obsessed ) but i record my morning weigh in every other Wednesday
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh and take measurements the first of every month! Due to the various changes a female goes through monthly, I find that this time frame works best for me!