Sick of Eating Out of A Box!

Options
Hello Everyone,

I have been on this new fitness kick for about 6 weeks now. I cut my calories down to nearly 1,200 and I workout 3-4 times a week for about 45 minutes.

My gripe is this. I've been eating either, Lean Cusine, Healthy Choice, or Smart Ones for lunch and dinner, for the past 6 weeks and it has gotten pretty boring and tasteless. Sometimes at dinner, I'll grill a piece of fish or chicken to add some life to my "boxed dinner". But really, I cant go on like this. I choose this method because it was the easiest way to cut calories and fat while saving time. But now, it's working to my disadvantage because my taste buds are seriously unhappy. I get full, but later on, I just end up nibbling on something that actually taste good (like my husband's food!).

I think that I really went wrong when I went to O'Charley's last weekend and ordered the grilled salmon, it was just sooooo darn good.....Now my boxed dinners taste like crap.

Please help,

Thanks,
Rochelle

270514.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I tried sticking to these kind of boxed meals for my lunches at work, and not only did I get bored with them but I found they're actually really high in sodium...

I've found it really doesn't take long to make simple meals that are healthy. For example, I'll have a turkey & cheese sandwich (whole-grain bread) for lunch with yogurt and baby carrots, then I'll have a salad with chicken, black beans and a side of fruit for dinner. I just had to dump the mentality that it took "too long" to assemble a meal from scratch, because it really doesn't take long. And the meals I put together now taste sooooo much better and keep me satisfied for longer. The biggest thing you have to remember when doing this is to watch your portions - I measure everything right now because I'm not good at 'eyeballing' it on my own yet.

edited to fix a typo... :blushing:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Its really so easy and simple to cook or assemble healthy meals for yourself. Even if you aren't much for cooking there are some good options. Browse the recipe thread here, there's so many great ideas.

http://www.amazon.com/EatingWell-Serves-Two-Healthy-Suppers/dp/0881507237/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255323747&sr=8-8

This cookbook is my favorite, I give it to everyone. I have probably bought a half dozen and given them away as gifts. Its called "eating well Serves Two."

I'm single so it is so great to have recipes that are smaller portions, I cook once and eat twice, or three times. And there is nutrition information for everything. It really is easy stuff, alot of the recipes have quick short cuts like buying shredded cabbage in a bag...I haven't made anything that wasn't simple to do.

Another of my tips if time is an issue (It is for me, if I don't plan ahead i eat fast food just because its easier...)

Plan your menus for the week, and look for ways you can cook once, or twice during the week and spread your leftovers out into other meals.

I cook chicken breasts once a week and keep them in the fridge to use for everything...I make brown rice when I cook the chicken...

Also, I portion everything into individual servings that I have measured. (I love my gladware!) This way I get the portion control of prepared meals.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Make your meals ahead of time. I used to eat loads of barley-bean-tomato soup with celery sticks. Then, I would do something new for the following week.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Also, try some of Trader Joe's Indian boxed food. yummy.
  • rochelle971
    rochelle971 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! Your advice has been REALLY HELPFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!