XBOX Kinect Adventures as exercise??

Options
Anybody else use any of the Kinect games as ways to get moving and keep yourself entertained? How do you log it into exercise? I figure if I play for 45 min straight and am sweating through half of it, it counts as something....but what? Have you tried the biggest loser one? Any feedback on that before I go out and buy it? Any other "games" you're using as exercise?

Replies

• bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    how funny... I just logged on to look up xbox games in exercise. I have a sports one and zumba i like to play. I get a good workout doing it... I would say as long as you active without a break it should count :)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Do you log it as aerobics? I'm just not sure how to count it :) How is the zumba one?
  • amanda_rodriguez
    Options
    I use Kinect for Dance Central i normaly use about 45 min or 1 hour.In the game u can see how many calories do u burn :wink:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use Kinect, and I put my HRM on for calorie burn.

I use The Biggest Loser and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, as well as lots of other fun games - Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Kinectimals, Disneyland Adventures.

If I'm using a fun game, I just make sure I put my all into it, and I dance around or run on the spot through loading screens and cinematics. :tongue:
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I may have to invest in a heart rate monitor. For now, I think I'll just say I walked for 45 min, and figure I probably did a little better than that with all the jumping around.

Cheryl - what are your thoughts on the Biggest Loser one? Worth purchasing?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I may have to invest in a heart rate monitor. For now, I think I'll just say I walked for 45 min, and figure I probably did a little better than that with all the jumping around.

Definitely. There's a lot to it. You need quite a bit of space, as there are a lot of floor exercises, but if you've got space then it's very responsive and accurate. I don't have quite enough, so it occasionally can't see me when I'm doing things on the floor, but it's good most of the time.

Lots of variety. Little challenges that really get your heart rate up, but the main workouts are a nice balance of strength and cardio - holding the plank position, jumping jacks, sit-ups. It works your whole body, and includes a cool-down at the end of each session.

I actually got Your Shape first, and loved that but it's quite limited - no real variety in the work-outs. They're effective, but it's often a case of doing the same moves over and over. The Biggest Loser is much easier to stay interested in, and that helps. Plus, you get Bob and Jillian to motivate, and shout at you - and you can shout back! Oh, and it reminds you to go away and have a drink.
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I use them all the time, I have used Kinect Sports every day since I started here, and WII sports as well. Its great! I also got Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 and The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout for the Kinect. So far so good! I will use Dance Central too at times, but only if no one else is home. hehe.
  • orangesumr
    orangesumr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I mark it down as low impact aerobics. And I recently found out that my Dance Central has a workout mode!!! I plan on getting the Zumba kinect game...i'm hoping that it will be fun and a great workout!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I do! I wear my HRM and doing 1 hour with my fiancee of jumping and everything burns me about 230 calories. i make sure to overexaggerate my movements- like if i'm "ducking" under something, i do a deep squat and then jump back up as high as possible when i need to. I was sweating, my fiancee was sweating, and i was sore the next day after i first started doing it!
  • Sopsongbird
    Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just finished playing Kinect Adventures (the block smashing activity) for like 15 minutes then I switched to Your Shape Fitness Evolved (the first one). I'm logging Kinect Adventures as Aerobics low impact since it's cardio. What is your gamer tag? We can play together!
  • MommaSparrow1928
    MommaSparrow1928 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do! I wear my HRM and doing 1 hour with my fiancee of jumping and everything burns me about 230 calories. i make sure to overexaggerate my movements- like if i'm "ducking" under something, i do a deep squat and then jump back up as high as possible when i need to. I was sweating, my fiancee was sweating, and i was sore the next day after i first started doing it!

I do the exact same thing when I play! I even play the volleyball on sports like I really would in reality just to get a better burn!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I have the Kinect also but this site doesn't log it as exercise.....I just say aerobics for however long I did it....
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Got calorie numbers from www,bootsdiets.com -- I entered them into the database as 'XBOX Kinect Adventures" (10 minutes). I entered a 30" and 60" time, too.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooved that game and its a ridiculously good work out. Frankly I don't fuss much with exercise calories though. I just eat a few hundred extra. At worst its cutting into your deficit a little. At best its spot on. And somewhere in between, maybe you're a little low. When I was doing personal training and using an HRM it tended to get me about 250cals per 30 minutes no matter what I was doing so I kinda use that as a mental spot check. I mean it was within 50 or 100 cals of that and that's so minor I figure, whatever, close enough.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Anybody else use any of the Kinect games as ways to get moving and keep yourself entertained? How do you log it into exercise? I figure if I play for 45 min straight and am sweating through half of it, it counts as something....but what? Have you tried the biggest loser one? Any feedback on that before I go out and buy it? Any other "games" you're using as exercise?

some of these 'games' are a GREAT workout and shouldn't be dismissed, I lost a TON of weight from the wii boxercise game.

you can create your own 'exercise' on the exercise log page and then add in the minutes/calories etc...but you should use a n HRM for accurate figures.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do Biggest Loser! My kids to the Dance games and Kinect Adventures! Very effective ways to burn calories.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Yes, I love it! There many different exercises and games. They make you do the exercise correctly as well as tell you how many calories you burned
  • lovinlifeinchrist
    Options
    I love Kinect Adventures! It is the most fun "Gym Membership" I've ever seen. I started playing when my daughter bought it for her kids! Couldn't have done it w/o MyFitnessPal!! Since I passed my 1st goal weight this month (I've lost a total of 61lbs. since I began & 49lbs since joining MyFitnessPal!) I treated myself to an XBox 360, Kinect, & Kinect Adventures. I logged it as general Aerobics 'cause I really work hard at it!
    I'm going to ask my nutritionist, next week!