5k run

Options
2»

Replies

• GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet, but years ago when I was in HS there was a guy at my school that ran cross country and would constantly hit 15 min flat. Sometimes under.
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet, but years ago when I was in HS there was a guy at my school that ran cross country and would constantly hit 15 min flat. Sometimes under.
    15 minutes is not a realistic time for most people.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just joined a 5k training group -- I'm not a runner, so this is a real challenge for me
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    i ran one again today and my time was not quite as good do you think it might be that I’m sore/tired from yesterdays and it might just take my body a little while to adjust to the increase in running?
  • kkmarie11
    Options
    Just joined a 5k training group -- I'm not a runner, so this is a real challenge for me

neither am i but I’m working on it
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I started running again. in Feb 11 after a 4 year break. In Mar 12 I ran a 20:10 5k. My training was mostly just lots of miles at an easy pace.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    i ran one again today and my time was not quite as good do you think it might be that I’m sore/tired from yesterdays and it might just take my body a little while to adjust to the increase in running?
    It could be - I started c25k at the end of January & finished in March. Ran my first 5k race this morning. :bigsmile: I still only run every other day, and find that I run stronger and often faster with at least a one day break in between runs. For this race, I made my last run on Tuesday so I'd be fresh & strong for today (ran my best 5k time and fastest mile ever! yay!).

So yeah, you might consider running every other day. And as far as increasing distance, have to be careful with that too. In my own experience, after completing c25k I was able to run 4 miles, then decided to push for 5 - and ended up with knee pain. Had to take it easy for awhile to let it heal, and I haven't run past 4 miles since. Now that I've run the race, I am going to work on building distance again but going more slowly just to avoid injury.

Some people can move up faster than others, some people run daily with no problems - just have to see what works best for you and go slow as you figure it out. Better to move up slowly and stay injury free than to push too hard and sideline yourself with an injury for several weeks. That's no fun.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The key to improving "race" time is to not run race effort every day. Slow down. Run longer. Run easy. Do your 5K time trial once a month. The rest of the time, just run easy.

I started running in 2004. First 5K time was 29:xx. Last month, I ran a personal best 19:36 on a tough course. I run a lot of easy miles with only a smattering of fast stuff thrown in. Take it easy, build slowly and the times will come.
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k last week, and am loving it! My hubby and I are signed on for our first 5k on June 17. I figure it'll be a wlak/run, but I am going to run as much of it as I can. I have never been a runner, but always have walked quite a bit, so this first week was easy for me. Feels great, pushing myself that extra wee bit! Lovin' it!:drinker:
  • kkmarie11
    Options
    thanks for the advice i think im gonna take it a little slower.....i wanna be able to do cross country in the fall so I'll work on my distance now and work on speed later when it gets closer to xc time!
  • winkie77
    winkie77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 1st 5k this past weekend. I've only been running for 3 months. It was 92+ degrees and the run was at 4pm on fresh blacktop. I ran it in 32:48. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life!! But, I know I'll keep going, try to break my time, and hopefully do a half marathon next spring!