help im injured!

Options
So i was working out in the gym about 2 hours ago. I warmed up really good (stretches, walking, and eliptical). When i go to do my lunges, I feel a sharp pain in my left thigh. I always do lunges. This time I think that the medicine ball I was using may have been to heavy (7-8lbs). Anyways I asked my instructor why did this happen. She told me that shes not sure because she seen how much I had warmed up. She told me to put ice on it and take it easy.
Why did this happen??? I work out alot, and have never had this happen.
did i tear the muscle, or did I strain it?
Im limping around like a fool and I just want to know what I should do to get this better.
should i stop working out completely for a couple of days, or still try to use the muscle?
Plz dont respond if your not sure, I dont want to take any risks of being injured more!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt you tore anything, trust me, you tear your Quadriceps and you'd KNOW it. I mean, you wouldn't be able to walk, and would need pain killers just to move around. Could it be a micro tear (a really really tiny tear that's more like a pull) or a muscle pull? Sure it could, that happens to everyone, no matter how much you stretch, pulls can happen, it just comes with the territory. Yeah, immediately after a pull, ice for about an hour to keep the swelling down, then for the next few days, heat to promote healing and to keep the muscle from tightening up on you and causing even more pain. If the pain lingers for longer than a week, or if it's so bad you can't walk without aid, then go see your doctor as it could be a very lite tear (I doubt it though, I've seen plenty of quad tears in my time, and in almost every case the victim was screaming and rolling around in agony, and it doesn't sound like that happened to you).
    In any case DO NOT exercise on a pull, you'll just make it worse, or injure a different muscle by overcompensating. Give it about 4 to 5 days before you (very gently, test it out, there should be NO pain when you start working on it again, some stiffness and soreness is fine, but nothing sharp)
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Find out for sure what it is, either a tear or a strain. Which muscle is it exactly, the quad or the hamstring?

For a few days at least, use RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Work out your upper body in the meantime. Injuries stink, but it happens. If you have good muscle development already like you probably do from what you said, you should heal quickly.

Make sure you get ice on it often for a few days though. Good luck.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I seriously doubt you tore anything, trust me, you tear your Quadriceps and you'd KNOW it. I mean, you wouldn't be able to walk, and would need pain killers just to move around. Could it be a micro tear (a really really tiny tear that's more like a pull) or a muscle pull? Sure it could, that happens to everyone, no matter how much you stretch, pulls can happen, it just comes with the territory. Yeah, immediately after a pull, ice for about an hour to keep the swelling down, then for the next few days, heat to promote healing and to keep the muscle from tightening up on you and causing even more pain. If the pain lingers for longer than a week, or if it's so bad you can't walk without aid, then go see your doctor as it could be a very lite tear (I doubt it though, I've seen plenty of quad tears in my time, and in almost every case the victim was screaming and rolling around in agony, and it doesn't sound like that happened to you).
    In any case DO NOT exercise on a pull, you'll just make it worse, or injure a different muscle by overcompensating. Give it about 4 to 5 days before you (very gently, test it out, there should be NO pain when you start working on it again, some stiffness and soreness is fine, but nothing sharp)

Interesting you say about the heat. That's what I had always done, but recently I've been hearing more and more about how applying heat in the first few days will soften the injured area and allow for further strain or tears. Have you heard anything recently about this? The science behind it makes a lot of sense when you read it.
  • jojogirl
    Options
    I would think to ice as long as there is inflammation (heat) in the area.
    And to apply heat when the inflammation has gone.
    ~M :flowerforyou:
  • jaminsmonster
    Options
    Ice for first 72 hours, heat will increase the blood flow which in turn will cause more inflamation! (I'm not a professional but I've worked for a doctor for 10 years & that's what he always says)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Interesting you say about the heat. That's what I had always done, but recently I've been hearing more and more about how applying heat in the first few days will soften the injured area and allow for further strain or tears. Have you heard anything recently about this? The science behind it makes a lot of sense when you read it.

As far as anything I've ever heard, and done, Ice to keep down swelling, then after a day or so, heat to keep the area from cramping up. I know that my physical therapist is still telling people this. Which is what I was trying to say in my original reply, I guess it probably didn't come off right, but that's what I meant, Ice for the first hour or so to keep the swelling down, then after a day or so keep some heat on it.

Also, Yes RICE is a good mechanism to use. But remember, continuing to Ice a pull won't really do much for it, if you compressed it, and have it elevated, heat should actually help (just not the same day). Additional injury shouldn't be happening because the person should be aware of the injury and avoiding activities that can aggrevate it anyway. I mean if someone pulls their quad, then goes out 3 days later and tries to do a 3 mile run, well... They probably deserve what they get! :tongue:
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the help. It was my quad that i strained/ pulled. I definitly work be using it anytime soon!