BBQ tomorrow

Options
I am going to my fiance's parents tomorrow for my father in laws birthday and we are having a barbeque does anyone know where i can find calorie amounts for basic bbq food please? As i have no idea and am a bit worried about not logging what im eating if i cant find out

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Most any cookout/bbq type food can be found in the database. Grilled chicken, brisket, steaks, hamburgers, etc can all be found in there. As well, there are several entries for bbq sauces. Try it out today if you have an idea of what will be served.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you can't find it in the MFP database, try here: http://www.calorieking.com/
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Thankyou so much! Ill have a proper look think i was searching for the wrong things in the database lol
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Well you can always type in various foods like you were going to log them for the day. Do you have any idea what they consider BBQ?

Some tips from my experiences- If you have access to fresh corn on the cob you could volunteer to bring some - throw it on the grill for 20- 30 min with the shucks on or naked but wrapped in foil. The benefit is that you would know you have some yummy healthy food to chow down on and then add a little of the meats and sides that can be high calorie. Or bring a giant salad with lots of yummy summer things in it, fresh fruits, nuts etc. Consider marinating some chicken and bring enough to share after it's grilled. Watch out for BBQ sauce, it can be really high in sugar and salt, and I would personally rather spend my calories on ice cream or a cocktail. :D

If you want to be good, you can do it! If you decide to be naughty, that's ok too - Just enjoy yourself and get back to business ASAP/
  • kathrynyoung71
    Options
    well done for thinking ahead thats a great place to start, I would look at the database to see what the calories are in bbq type foods and then choose the best value foods, I find with bbq's and buffets it is easier to get a meal size amount and don't go back, it soon adds up a little bit here and a bit more there, also fill up with the lower calorie foods like the salad and something filling like a jacket potato. If you do over indulge then enjoy it and try to earn a few extra calories with a walk or exercise the following day. good luck :-)
  • Assassins_Angel
    Options
    Thanks for the support girls :) will help me stay on track and not over indulge xx