CHANTIX USERS...

Options
I just started taking Chantix on Tuesday morning. I would love to hear from anyone who has taken it or knows someone who has. Did it work? Any side effects? How did you feel? Anything you can tell me is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i dont think you need a pill.,..i have plenty to say if you want help not taking them. i am 4 years quit without a pill or a patch. but either way...keep up what your doing..your making the right choice to quit smoking! :)
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit in April 2007 with no patch, no pills, no problems. In September 2009, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I was by her side as she went through multiple surgeries, chemo, radiation, and finally a terminal diagnosis in March 2011 - all the while smoke free. I was by her side as she started hospice and stayed smoke free. She died on June 26, 2011, on her 65th birthday and that is the day I started smoking again. I have no excuses -- it was all just too much and somehow in my head smoking would make it better. Now, almost a year later, I have tried several times to quit, but have been unsuccessful. My doctor prescribed me Chantix in April and I just started taking it. Any advice you have to give, I'll certainly take it! :smile:
  • aparis33
    aparis33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chantix successfully helped me quit. Next Friday (June 1st) marks my 3-month quit date! My advice to you:

1) Follow/use the GetQuit support program. I found it to be a little cheesy and annoying, but it really did teach me some important coping skills needed to truly make a lifestyle change. I did the program while my husband (who was also on Chantix) did not. I quit smoking sooner than he did and had a much easier time refraining from cigs. I truly believe most of that was because he didn't learn the tools he needed.

2) Eat something with your pill. The nausea side effect can be overwhelming sometimes (my husband even puked once).

3) Ambien is your friend. I don't like taking Rx drugs unless I really need them. Chantix can cause sleeping problems while you're on it. My issue was that I would wake up after every crazy dream (another side effect) I had and had difficulty falling back asleep. I got on Ambien and then I was finally able to sleep through the night.

4) Talk to your doctor about lowering your dosage if the side effects get too bad. After about 4 weeks, I had to take a lower dosage because the nausea was too bad. I finally stopped Chantix altogether after 2.5 months because it was causing me depression and really bad anxiety. That being said, I DO NOT regret taking Chantix! It worked, and I had failed so many other times before. A lot of people stop taking Chantix too soon for it to have really been effective. They don't even consider lowering their dose, they just stop taking it. I encourage you to push through the hard times in the first 1-2 months but also suggest you keep an eye on your mental state. Be aware of any mood changes and go to your doctor if things just don't feel right.

5) Last but not least, try to avoid triggers. I actually secluded myself for the first month and didn't go out with friends, go to restaurants, etc. Everything was a temptation! Avoid other smokers if you can help it. When you get comfortable enough to be around smoking environments again, try not to drink then, or at least have a supportive non-smoking friend there with you (someone who can distract you if you get edgy).

I wish you much luck! Feel free to message me along your journey. :)
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I am on Day 2 of the second week (so my second day smoke free) and so far it has not been too bad. The worst side effect has definitely been the nausea, which is pretty bad after the morning pill. I think it's because I don't eat a very hearty breakfast and then take the pill. The even dose, which I take after dinner, has not made me sick at all. I have had a couple of crazy dreams, but they are not waking me up and they are not nearly as bad as when I tried the patch. All in all, my cravings have been minimal, and more than cravings I think it is a routine issue... I realize it would be breaktime at work and that I would normally be smoking. Thanks for the advice!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Be careful.

I've known several folks who had bizarre dreams/behaviors. I definitely would NOT take ambien with it, since that already is known to cause odd behaviors.