Scale malfunction

Options
I have a delima and I'm unsure what to do.
Just found out my scale is off by 9.6lbs. Apparently the scale malfunctioned which I found out when I went to the dr.office
I had been logging my weight on a weekly basis and then I found out about the malfunction. My delima is I don't know what to do? I'm still losing weight and its discouraging to not be to able to report my losses.
I'm open to suggestions.

Replies

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    No two scales will ever record the same weight, so it maybe that your scales haven't malfunctioned, they are just configured differently. The way to check is get an unopened bag of something you know the weight of (potatoes, sugar, flour) and pop that on the scales and see if it registers the right weight. If it doesn't you know they're wrong and you need new scales or it does and your GP's scales are wrong.

Personally I would stick with the scales I've been using all the time and carry on in the same way as before.

I have two sets of scales and one set differs from the other by 3lb, but i continue to use the one that gives the higher reading, because its the set i've always used. Having said that, I'm just tracking loss at the moment, not aiming for a specific figure.
  • LivingHealthyLovingLife
    Options
    Looks like you're ready for a new scale :tongue:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    When you weigh yourself at home are you naked?

At the doctors office they generally weigh you clothed.

Yes clothes can account for that much weight. I have a pair of sweats that weigh 7 pounds.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    When you weigh yourself at home are you naked?

At the doctors office they generally weigh you clothed.

Yes clothes can account for that much weight. I have a pair of sweats that weigh 7 pounds.

Exactly what I was thinking. Clothing can easily add ten pounds.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depending on the type of scale your doctor's office has, it may be off as well aside from the fact you're clothed. They're supposed to calibrate them periodically (I believe every 3-6 months) to keep accuracy but many don't. You can always ask when was the last time it was calibrated and how old that specific machine is.

As for your own scale, like someone mentioned if you want to test the accuracy grab something with a defined weight like a dumbbell or sack of flour and set it on the scale. As long as it's accurate by .2 then your scale's alright. If the weight's off then yes I would look into another scale.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use the gym scale, don't know if you belong to one?
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    No 2 scales are the same, I just had a recent meltdown over a scale switch that had me upset for days. Once you weight in on your new scale, ONLY weight in on that one. Just count on it, that if you get on a different scale, there will be MAJOR differences.
    Good luck :)
  • proudnannaX3
    Options
    My question is, what do I do about the 9.6lb. difference? The Dr.scale was 9.6 lbs heavier. Do I take the 9.6lbs as a gain? The crazy thing is that my scale now agrees with the doctors scale, I'm really confused.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    weigh in on your normal weigh in day .. on your scale .. track that .. dont worry bout the drs scale:flowerforyou: