Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Failure

gwenmf
gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
Feeling like a failure and hating myself right now. I had lost almost 40 lbs...........and gained by 25 of that................sort of like a roller coaster but I should have had better control.............Did great, then walked a 5k in the early fall, hurt my previously injured knee which slowed down my activity (knee replacement in about 5 years they said).......had a synvas? injection and did better, winter came and we had a few software systems go live which had me working a complete opposite of my normal shift/schedule.... which didn't help..........all of these are excuses.........I should have kept control. How could i have let this happen? I'm so mad at myself. I could crawl under a rock. But that won't get the weight off~! Today I'm back on track - I'm still down 15 (tho my page says 4, I had lost 11 before starting on here)...............guess I'm writing this post just to have someone listen to me whine for a while.............thanks for listening.

Replies

• Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    ((Hugs)) You have 2 choices you can look at it as a failure or look at it as a learning opportunity on what not to do next time. One will drag you down, one will lift you up. I know you can do it, and I know you will be successful. Have faith in yourself and start small. One foot in front of the other and you'll be at minus 40 in no time!!!! You cannot change the past but you can move forward! Stop dwelling, it will be okay.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    One day at a time. Over the years we all have had set backs. Just look forward. Should come off quickly, hasn't been there that long. Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Failure is the opportunity to begin again with more experience. Do your best. Forget the rest. Guilt and self-hate do not burn calories; courage and determination do.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'm 43, and I've been trying to lose weight since I was 11. Setbacks are part of life.

This is my last push at finally, for the first time in my adult life, to be considered "normal weight". I've been "morbidly obese" and "obese" for too many wasted years. I'm not "obese" any more. That's taken time, patience, perseverance, and more than a few mistakes and setbacks along the way.

Pick up the baton where you left it and get back in the race.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    I have been in your shoes. in 2010 I lost around 23 pounds. All those pesky things in life kicked in and became excuses as to why I can't eat or exercise. Within a yr I had put 20 pounds back on. I restarted my journey in Jan 2012 and I am now down 29 pounds! I have even surpassed the 125 pound goal I had in 2010.....Good luck and take it one day at a time
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    It really is 1 day at a time. I know it is difficult not to let those self-depreciating thoughts dwell around the edges of your mind, but really you should try to relax and forget about the past. Beating yourself up and calling yourself a failure isn't going to change the fact that some weight crept back on. Look at it this way: you've already lost so much weight before, you can do it again. :) Forgive yourself and move forward.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Those aren't failures. They're obstacles... roadblocks. Think of them as detours and go around them. :smile:
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 96 Member
    Those aren't failures. They're obstacles... roadblocks. Think of them as detours and go around them. :smile:

You can do it!
  • It is a long journey, and it sounds like you're smarter now, refocused on learning from the past and moving forward from here ... I believe you will make it, best wishes! :smile:
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Success is standing up one time more than you're knocked down.

As long as you get up again, it's not a failure.
  • The past is gone. The future has not yet arrived. All we ever have is the present moment. You can always start over. Now.

Chinese saying - Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

And please remember, this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Best of luck.
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    I stopped smoking two times - before I quit!
  • bp716
    bp716 Posts: 68 Member
    Lost 40- gained 20- gained another 20, now have 70 to lose...Actually 68.6!!! We can do this!
  • gwenmf
    Lost 40- gained 20- gained another 20, now have 70 to lose...Actually 68.6!!! We can do this!

YES, we can! And we are!!
  • gwenmf
    Thanks everyone for your posts and support. I needed your friendship and kindness and you gave it. I'm very grateful.

moving on! Feeling much better and stronger in my attempt now. I have learned from my mistakes and the past is behind us........ I'm down 3.4 thus far (again).....