Weighing yourself

Options

Replies

• trishobr
    trishobr Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set day. I weigh about twice a month or so.
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know how often everyone weighs themselves. I know you really only should weigh yourself once a week, but I have a terrible habit of doing it everyday. I am trying to break the habit, because I know when i see the number go up, it can be extremely discouraging.

I have found myself becoming addicted to weighing myself, so I made the decision to only weigh myself once a week (Sunday mornings, since that tends to be my cheat day). I also keep the scale in my mother's bathroom, so I don't have to see it and be tempted to weigh myself.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale so I weigh at the same time every weekday at work. I only record on Fridays.
    I hope to get here one day... I have cut back to one day a week. I was addicted and whatever number showed up dictated my mood for the day. I hated living like that.
  • KRFinLeth
    KRFinLeth Posts: 22
    Options
    I weigh myself when I feel good or feel that I'm down. Sometimes that could be twice a week; sometimes twice a month. Even if I watch everything I eat all the time I may not consistently lose weight. Throw in the monthly visit from Aunt Flo and the feelings of futileness can be overwhelming. My body hasn't read The Guide to Proper Weight Loss; it loses when it feels like it, usually in spurts. So I read my body instead and weigh in when it feel right.
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I only weigh once a month-- that way I can get a handle on the overall trend, not just daily fluctuations. It is a lot more reliable!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I can't help myself. I have a scale in all 3 bathrooms and I even have one in my camper! Yep, I'm a lil' OCD here. I don't get upset if the scale goes up or down.. I try to look at it long term instead because of water weight fluctuations and as long as I'm losing gradually, all is good! I guess I just want to know what I weigh,, everyday!

When I do weigh it's in the morning, naked, after I pee and take my teeth out. I also brush my hair in case any of them would fall out. That makes me weigh less. Yes, I'm just kidding but I do weigh in the morning after going pee. lol
  • claire7090
    claire7090 Posts: 67
    Options
    My official weigh in is Sunday morning before breakfast, but often weigh myself in the week especially if I am concerned that I have overeaten/under exercised in the first half of the week and then I use the midweek weigh in to check I am not going totally off track. Hoping tomorrow morning sees me reaching my goal weight!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I weigh everyday and I don't know why because it's pure torture for me when I don't lose after working so hard which I what's been happening since I've hit this ridiculous plateau.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I pee. That way I can see the weight coming done a couple ounces at a time, and I don't freak out when I have my TOM and gain three pounds overnight. I know that extra "weight" is really water and don't get discouraged. IF I didn't weigh as often, I wouldn't know if I actually was on track. Besides, I studied chemistry and more data points is important in any experiment ;)

THIS! I also find that I'm more motivated by weighing daily as I can see a slight change and that spurs me on, or I don't see a change and I'm then more determined to be good lol
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    This is perfect because you can create a graph within your spreadsheet that shows your weighloss trend. I think too many of us (myself included) get hung up on the small stuff and don't see the bigger picture. The graph helps with that. I weigh everyday too, but usually when my weigh goes up, it's from not drinking enough water, so my body is dehydrated. When I am dehydrated, I hang onto the fluid that is available, and it has a reverse effect. It usually isn't affected by what I eat the day before.
  • katykosto
    katykosto Posts: 80
    Options
    Everyday, its become an obsession, if I see its went up since day before I work harder
  • Luciendasky
    Luciendasky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a book about diabetes and how to avoid it (or get rid of it) and it actually suggested weighing yourself everyday.

It recommended using the scale as a "tool" and not as a "measurement". The book suggested that those who were able to get into the mindset of not being depressed by what the scale said actually end up doing better than those who weight themselves once a week because they are more aware of what they are eating and doing (and in my case, I have found this to be true)....

That is why I weigh myself everyday, but only record once a week. I don't get upset when I have (gasp) gained 3 pounds over night because I understand that my weight will fluctuate. I only pay attention what I weigh Saturday to Saturday - and I have consistently lost weight each week so far.
  • Zoeeee_xx
    Zoeeee_xx Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i am my most consistent when i weigh in everyday, when i skip days/weeks i get WAY off track, *sigh* like now!
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    every 2 days. if i do it every day i get obsessed, if i do it once a week or less i tend to put on weight easily xx
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    naked or underwear only...:P in the morning after i pee
  • Arctic_Blonde
    Arctic_Blonde Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you do get discouraged it is probably better to stick to the once a week weigh-in. For me, I bite the bullet and force myself to weigh once a week no matter what. There is no pressure really, as what we are trying to accomplish is a life-style change and we will have our ups and downs. There is a time and a season for each of us to commit. If I've gone off track and gained for that week, I weigh more often during the next week to make sure I am on track to lose what I gained. It helps me to stay mindful. When I read the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet book years ago, it was suggested to weigh every day and take the average for the week...it is a more accurate reading as weight fluctuates so much day to day. Don't be discouraged, but if you can, force yourself to stay mindful by weighing in. You may find you are straying less and less often because of that.
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale when I started here after not having a scale for 7 years. I use it every morning, log here once a week and log any loss on the fitbit site. I see it as fully enjoying my scale and I don't let it dictate my mood for the day. It's just one of the happy fun tools I get to play with.
  • getskinnyby25
    getskinnyby25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning as soon as i wake up so I know where i stand for the day. In the same way that it can be discouraging it can also be very encouraging!!
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    I just bought a tracking scale after having my more basic scale appropriated several months ago. I will be officially weighing myself on Sundays (starting tomorrow) but I had to get on it to test it out tonight and I am happy to report that since that last time I got weighed (the first week of this month at the dr's) I have lost a bit. Now that I have it I will probably use it more than once, but only Sundays will be official.