56 F, Quit Smoking = 15 lb Gain

Options
seabrzjo
seabrzjo Posts: 27 Member
Hi All - I've played around with the same 20 pounds (158-178) for two decades, but now I have ballooned to 189 lbs since quitting smoking last March and I swear that I am gaining weight just by sleeping. I am now in full panic mode, but I will never go back to smoking.

WW was always my go-to resource for weight loss in the past, but I did not like the newest program when it debuted in Jan 2011 and know that it will not help me now.

I like the concept of MFP tracking calories minus activity, but am not really sure how to get started. Do I just start logging my food and exercise? I guess I expected more of an intro "how to get started" thing, but I am fully ok just going forward on my own.

So just wanted to introduce myself, real name is Jody, and would love to hear from others that have challenges similar to mine.

Replies

• MissMiley
    MissMiley Posts: 49
    Options
    Hey Jody!

I'm also a 56 and trying to loose this weight for the last time! I've done WW in the past and lost weight but was never successful keeping it off. I really like MFP because its so easy to track my calories, carbs, protein, etc..

Yes, you do just start by logging your food and exercise! Its as easy as that! Plus if you'd like you can add friends who are all working toward the same goals and face the same struggles as we all do! Its a great way to give and get support and motivation!

Click on my profile and add me as a friend! I'd be happy to have you join me and we can do this together!

Cynde
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking Jody!! :drinker:

I put on about the same when I quit, but the main things to remember are a) Don't let yourself snack when you would normally smoke. Have a glass of water, chew sugarfree gum nor otherwise occupy yourself so you don't go to the cupboard. b) The weight is easier to lose now that you don't smoke because exercising is going to become easier and easier to do without your lungs all clogged up.

Log your cals and be absolutely honest about what you eat and the exercise you do - that simple.

P.S. Don't expect miracles, don't set your weight loss for 2 lbs a week, just accept that slow and steady really does win the race.
  • mechrissy67
    Options
    Hi Jody,

I'm new here and quit smoking back in November. I never thought I would be smoke free and am very proud of myself. I put on 15 lbs too and am having a hard time with it. I am new to MFP and haven't really seen any progress but I will stick with it. I wish you the best of luck.

Chrissy:smile:
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm 58, quit smoking 10 years ago and gained a ridiculous amount of weight. The weight has yo-yo'd back and forth for a decade, then decided to soar after my hysterectomy. So I have lost almost 30 pounds, and have about 40 to go. If you need someone to cheer you on, feel free to add me!!!!