Treadmill vs Stair stepper

Options
Which is better for quick overall weight loss?

Replies

• zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    which ever one you use.
  • sweetgirl83
    sweetgirl83 Posts: 32
    Options
    Is that suppose to be helpful?
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    I would try each out. I find exercising on machines to be incredibly boring but you might find that you like one better than the other.
  • orangechair
    orangechair Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    At the heart of it, it really does depend - which one would you be more likely to stick with on a consistent basis? Also, are you talking about running on the treadmill or more 'power' walking? Those would make a decent difference in calories burned during exercise.

For me, I get on the treadmill and walk because during the first 'phase' of my weight loss I'm trying to be nicer to my joints, and we happen to have one at home. So it just depends - speed, intensity, length of workout, etc. And like I mentioned above, which one are you most likely to stick with? I really don't get on the treadmill for the calorie-burning aspect - it's just to get myself moving on a regular basis so I can get back "in the game."
  • bena0218
    bena0218 Posts: 41
    Options
    well for me i use the treadmill cause it has all in one running and walking and both can keep your heart rate up and you sweat faster that way and burn calories easy taht way
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    I would try each out. I find exercising on machines to be incredibly boring but you might find that you like one better than the other.

Thank you! :)
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    Stair stepper is better, because your knee works against gravity. and it uses more muscles. For maximum benefit do the stair stepper under water. It's a low oxygen environment,makes you work harder and burn more calories.

Very informative. Thank you very much! :)
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    well for me i use the treadmill cause it has all in one running and walking and both can keep your heart rate up and you sweat faster that way and burn calories easy taht way

I am with you on this one. I sweat heavily on the treadmill but then again I usually do an hour on the treadmill and only 10-15 min on the stair stepper. I am going to test doing an hour on the stair stepper and see which one will cause me to sweat more. Thanks!
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    At the heart of it, it really does depend - which one would you be more likely to stick with on a consistent basis? Also, are you talking about running on the treadmill or more 'power' walking? Those would make a decent difference in calories burned during exercise.

For me, I get on the treadmill and walk because during the first 'phase' of my weight loss I'm trying to be nicer to my joints, and we happen to have one at home. So it just depends - speed, intensity, length of workout, etc. And like I mentioned above, which one are you most likely to stick with? I really don't get on the treadmill for the calorie-burning aspect - it's just to get myself moving on a regular basis so I can get back "in the game."

Thanks for expounding. I usually do an hour on the treadmill at 3.0 -3.5 speed. Not sure if that's a "power" walk or not. I burn between 280-300 calories. Doing 15 minutes on the stair stepper, for me, I burn between 130-140 calories. I don't really have a preference for either. I can handle either one of them but I want to stick with what will benefit me more in the sense of losing weight the quickest.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    stair stepper by far.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Agree with that. That was a strange post they replied with. very vague
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    I know you're getting comments you don't want to hear. But honestly, all jokes aside. It depends on intensity.. If you go slow on the stair climber you burn less compared to going fast on the treadmill. It all matters how hard you work.

Quick weight loss doesn't work over the long term.

Honestly, I wouldn't have posted this topic if I didn't want to hear ALL insight. I'm grateful for everyone's help. I agree with you 100%.
  • sweetgirl83
    Options

Thank you!
  • sweetgirl83
    Options

Agree with that. That was a strange post they replied with. very vague

I know right?! lol
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    stair stepper by far.

Thank you, Thank you!
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options

You have to ignore the sarcasm that is rampid on these forums. Sometimes its best to keep your questions among your friends list sadly. I know you'll get a bigger pool of responses here, but sometimes the people are simply here to give others a hard time.

My thought is whichever gives you a higher calorie burn, and don't just rely on the machines' estimation. Invest in a heart rate monitor if you haven't done so already. I like the treadmill because it gives less shock or stress to my knees and heels. To boost my overall calorie burn and effort, I use five lb weights when I walk. If you REALLY wanna a high cal burn, try the stairmill! It's scary looking but oh so fabulous on the sweat factor!
  • Yeti1083
    Yeti1083 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to use the treadmill but my knees weren't handling it well because I like to watch a show while doing it, usually for an hour. If you have access to a stair climber that has a weight loss program on it you can select, I'd go with that one. I would also say if you're going to be working out for less than 30 minutes, go for the treadmill, but go hard. Consistency is where you'll really get the burn on the stair climber. I also set my stair climber at least level 5, but build up to that if you're going to try it.

You said that you're looking for quick weight loss... that is very difficult to achieve if it's something you'd like to maintain. I don't like preachers so I'm only giving advice that was given to me about a year ago. If you're serious about getting in shape, then do it. The first few weeks of change are hardest, but if you make it through that, your changes become a new habit. Get lots of sleep, and eat well. You can do it!!!!

All in all, for great weight loss, I'd go for the Stair climber.
  • sweetgirl83
    Options

You have to ignore the sarcasm that is rampid on these forums. Sometimes its best to keep your questions among your friends list sadly. I know you'll get a bigger pool of responses here, but sometimes the people are simply here to give others a hard time.

My thought is whichever gives you a higher calorie burn, and don't just rely on the machines' estimation. Invest in a heart rate monitor if you haven't done so already. I like the treadmill because it gives less shock or stress to my knees and heels. To boost my overall calorie burn and effort, I use five lb weights when I walk. If you REALLY wanna a high cal burn, try the stairmill! It's scary looking but oh so fabulous on the sweat factor!

Very helpful. Thank you ma'am.
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    I used to use the treadmill but my knees weren't handling it well because I like to watch a show while doing it, usually for an hour. If you have access to a stair climber that has a weight loss program on it you can select, I'd go with that one. I would also say if you're going to be working out for less than 30 minutes, go for the treadmill, but go hard. Consistency is where you'll really get the burn on the stair climber. I also set my stair climber at least level 5, but build up to that if you're going to try it.

You said that you're looking for quick weight loss... that is very difficult to achieve if it's something you'd like to maintain. I don't like preachers so I'm only giving advice that was given to me about a year ago. If you're serious about getting in shape, then do it. The first few weeks of change are hardest, but if you make it through that, your changes become a new habit. Get lots of sleep, and eat well. You can do it!!!!

All in all, for great weight loss, I'd go for the Stair climber.

Thank you so much! You're right. I need to take my time but I want to lose it fast. I guess, I'll just stick to what I'm doing, change my lifestyle, and pray. LOL! Ya'll have been so helpful.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I actually use both and wear an HRM and they both give me a similar calorie burn per hour but I have to work harder on the treadmill to get my heart rate up. I use the setting called "Rolling Hills" on the stairmaster, three big hills total for 30 minutes, by the time I top the third hill my heart rate is maxed out. To get that same burn on the treadmill I have to incline to 12 at around 3.3 mph, I go to max heart rate not holding on, then hold on to bring rate down and keep going back and forth. Switch it up and do both on different days but when using the stairmaster be sure not to lean onto it, just hold on to keep your balance.