Vacation/Eating out help?

Options
Kind of a random question just wanted some advice or opinions. In July I am going to NY to visit family I haven't seen in YEARS. My cousin that I will be staying with is kind of funny because she has a personal trainer and works out but never loses weight because she eats out and drinks so much. She has actually asked me to teach her my eating habits because neither her or her mother cook so they eat out just about every day.

I am a little nervous about visiting because I think it would be rude to stay home every time they go out. I'm not worried about the alcohol because I don't drink but the eating out (Realistically even getting a salad at restaurants isn't healthy) I am worried about because I will be there almost 2 weeks. I don't want to come off as rude by not eating what they eat or wanting to go to the store for my own food, especially because the whole reason I am going up there is for her 21st birthday and obviously she is going out that night.

I'm not sure how available working out will be either, I am hoping her apartment has a gym or something.

Replies

• Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Eating out once isnt going to do damage. For example order a salad with the dressing on the side and no salt and pepper.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    She has a personal trainer so working out won't be a problem. She is sure to have resources for you. There are ways to eat out and still keep within a calorie goal, if she wants your help you should be able to suggest cleaner eat out places.
    I hope someone in NY answers you with most healthy eateries, I can't help there.
    Maybe if they don't find this thread you can make a thread asking "healthy places to eat out in NY" or whatever region of NY you will be in.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Treat it as you would any other time you eat out. Plan ahead. Make her decide early in the day where you are going. Tell her it's one of your secrets to success. Once she tells you, you can sit down with her and look over the restaurant's online menu, and pick the healthiest thing. Then you can go get a workout in together. Tell her you are going shopping (out to eat) and you need to go earn some money (calories) first.
    Stock up on yogurt though. When I went to my cousin's wedding in NY a few years ago, we were eating out very frequently and it wreaked havoc on my digestive system. The only thing that saved me was yogurt. All the nice probiotic & stuff.
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    There are plenty of options for when you eat out as long as you know what you're doing, most of the chain dinner restaurants have low cal options these days that are good. Ruby Tuesdays is a good one, I go there sometimes. Olive Garden is hard, because most of the food is super creamy pasta stuff. Outback Steakhouse can be good if you choose carefully. For lunches I recommend Subway. Breakfasts tend to be bad everywhere, so I rarely go out for breakfast. I prefer to go to well known chain restaurants that I can look up the nutrition info online. The smaller local restaurants you have to basically just guess what you're actually eating, lol.

If I were you though I would go out and buy some of my own food, but join them on their outings every so often so they don't feel like you're being stuck up or antisocial about it. What part of NY are you coming to?
  • abbiepql
    abbiepql Posts: 45
    Options
    Almost every place has salads you can customize or veggies - many time I go out I order only sides due to that reason. Or go for the grilled lean meats and veggies, just tell them to hold the cooking oil or go lightly and it will really cut your calories. I don't eat bread or fried foods normally, so I don't eat them when I go out, that cuts in half most menu choices. Encourage your hostess to let you plan your own meals two times a day and go really lean, giving you some extra for when you are forced to go out. And biggest tip, plan ahead, map out your strategy before you step foot in the door and you just have to follow through. Have fun :-)
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks guys.

@Emily, my cousin lives in a super small city called Kingston so half my time will be there and the other half in NYC