I want to suceed! But how to manage my huge apetite?

Options
Hi everybody! :happy:

Intro: I'm 40 years old, (ex hot body girl :sad:) but now 190 pounds, 40 pounds overweight :blushing:
It's been three years that I'm overweight due to (now cured) ilness and adjusting to immigration.
Managed to get rid of 20 pounds during last two years, but the rest is stuck on me!
I am very much ashamed of my looks, but mostly pretending it's OK in front of people. :sick:
How are you controlling your apetite? What to do, I eat when happy/unhappy/stressed/lonely etc?!?!
Somehow I manage to eat properly thru day and then I ruin all daily effort by eating too much at night, when I'm supposed to eat less.
I used to in-line skate, ride a bike, take a walk, swimm... but coming to Canada I stopped... and eat instead.
I want my hot looks back!!! :tongue:

Thank you all for advice :flowerforyou:

Replies

• novajamea
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar and white flour. I found that that curbs my appetite significantly. Also try chewing gum when you are bored and want to eat. You can DO IT!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    make sure that everything you eat is nutrition dense---cut out white flour, sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods.

log your food for the day in the morning or the night before and stick to the plan

find a motivation group on MFP and learn from them

take baby steps and learn something new every day so you can make gradual changes.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Try cutting out sugar and white flour. I found that that curbs my appetite significantly. Also try chewing gum when you are bored and want to eat. You can DO IT!

I agree with everything except the gum part. When I chew gum it INCREASES my appetite!! Try it, and if it does NOT do this to you, then make sure it is SUGARLESS gum!!

Also, use veggies to fill yourself up. They have fiber which will help you feel fuller without bankrupting your "caloric bank." Baby carrots are a personal favorite of mine, and a medium one is only 5 calories.

You will find if you follow the advice about flour and sugar previously mentioned that your appetite WILL lessen.

BTW, If you find your appetite jumps after you start working out, it may be a sign that you need more protein in your diet.
  • debbiejo
    Options
    I find that eating healthy proteins and carbs such as nuts, beans, hummus, low-fat cheese and yogurt, eggs, turkey and fish, and whole grain breads keeps me filled up much longer and I try to work them into my dinners and my after-dinner snack.

Sugar-free gum is great when I am stressed or upset... it gives your mouth something to do for much longer than eating normally would, and it has a nice flavor that satisfies sweet-tooth cravings for me. Water is also really good for filling you up, and sometimes if I think I should not logically be hungry yet I try a glass before venturing toward the fridge.

I think just the fact that you are logging in all your foods and being conscious of what you are putting in your body means that you are on a good path for success. I really think exercise is key to getting your body back. You can become thinner without it, but it is much faster and if you exercise and you will be more toned too.

Good luck! You can do it!!
  • zvezdica011
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks, I need All The Help and Support that I can get! :flowerforyou:
    My boyfriend that I'm dating 4 mths now (he's skiny!!) told me that I let myself too much to get all this extra weight. He doesn't know that I was seriously ill, he thinks "you ate too much".
    Maybe I made mistake to show him pictures from 3 years ago so he's bothering me to get into old shape "to be hot hot". Even though he has point I found it very harsh on me to listen to that comment often. It's not encouriging, it's Depressing me :sad: :grumble: :embarassed:
    It's past midnight and I can't sleep, too much upset and crying
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I am still fairly new here myself, but I just love it!

I am going to be honest about your situation. It sounds like you are trying to lose weight for your boyfriend and not YOU. Hounding you to get back into shape and get hot hot isn't going to help you! It doesn't sound like he likes you for YOU but what you look like.

I hope I am wrong, because only you know what's truly going on in your life. And I don't want to sound discouraging by any means!

But I do know that losing weight because you want to be hot or because someone else hounds you to do it isn't the right reason....you have to WANT to do it for yourself! To make yourself healthier, not just to be "skinny" because that isn't healthy!

Good luck!
  • Dizzel
    Dizzel Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi! First, I want to say I know what you're talking about - I also had a "hot body", but quitting smoking (yay me!), anti-depressants, and an operation following a major injury helped me to pile on the pounds. Boy, do I sympathize!!

Advice on your question: eat small, every three hours, at least six times a day. When you eat regularly, you give your body the message that it doesn't have to store up for a famine. Also, when you eat large meals, that actually tells your body that there's a famine coming up, so keep your servings small.

Also, cut out sugar. The insulin spike in your blood is what makes your body store fat.

There's my two-cents' worth. Chin up. Tell us all how you're going.

See ya!
    Dizzel

PS: By the way, your boyfriend sounds....well, not very supportive. Make sure you get a really good support network around you. And make sure you're losing weight for the right reasons!

And I shall now step down from my soapbox. You look like you could do with one of these: HUG!
  • healthylivin
    Options
    I totally know what you mean about being able to stick to the healthy foods during the day but blowing it at night.:wink: Staying away from the kitchen is the only thing that works for me!
  • zvezdica011
    Options
    "I find that eating healthy proteins and carbs such as nuts, beans, hummus, low-fat cheese and yogurt, eggs, turkey and fish, and whole grain breads keeps me filled up much longer and I try to work them into my dinners and my after-dinner snack. "

I'll try tonight to eat this kind of food, thanks
  • zvezdica011
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Try cutting out sugar and white flour.

Sugar! It's like addiction...Once I didn't eat it for a 10 days and my apettite was reduced.
    From today I'll use it only once a day in a coffee.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you have to sweeten your coffee, try stevia, it is a natural sweetener, available at Trader Joe's and other natural food stores. Splenda is another possibility, but since it is a chemically altered version of sugar, it is probably not your best bet.

As for your boyfriend, well, I don't know him or you, but I will be blunt. He sounds like a control-freak and a twit!! He may not be that at all, but his actions as you described make him look that way to me. Maybe in his mind he is being "supportive." Putting you down and upsetting you :sad: is not supportive.:mad:

Tell him to put his money where his mouth is. Tell him you want to start walking together or working out together. If you get a bunch of excuses as to why he can't or won't, that will speak volumes about his true colors.

Feel free to show him this message and others on the thread as a basis for a frank discussion about how you are feeling and the effect his words and erroneous conclusions are having on you.

If it causes him to see the error of his ways and treat you with more respect, I am pleased. Maybe that will mean something for the future. If he cops an attitude and insists he doesn't think there is a problem, my advice would be to work on shedding a boyfriend as well as a few pounds!!

Good Luck. You CAN do this!!!and everyone on MFP will be glad to give you all the support and encouragement we can!!:flowerforyou:
  • zvezdica011
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    make sure that everything you eat is nutrition dense---cut out white flour, sugar, artificial sweeteners, processed foods.

OK, I wil!

(quote) log your food for the day in the morning or the night before and stick to the plan
    find a motivation group on MFP and learn from them
    take baby steps and learn something new every day so you can make gradual changes.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Great advices, I've tried to log my food after every meal and I gave up after couple days, now it'll be once a day.

:flowerforyou: Anyone has more advices how to organize my day, food etc?

My wish to lose weight is firstly because of health, 20 ponds from normal BMI!
    But BF is not supporting like you said, he's adding salt to my wound.
    If I have anybody closer like family or relative it will be easier but I'm almost alone here, with few new friends. People here, on this website, can relate to each other, when I was normal weight I couldn't imagine how hard is to loose extra weight, all pain, shame and regret that goes with it.
    I've asked my BF to go together when he jogg every day but he rejected me saying that I "break his schedule", he "has to wait for me" (cause it's hard for me on in-line skates to follow his spid while he jogg) If he continues like this he is soon-to-be-ex, better alone than in bad company. Since we're together I re-gained 10 ponds that I managed to loose before we met.
    Thanks everybody for advices and support! :heart:
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    oh dear, it does sound like your boyfriend is very selfish! Time for YOU to be selfish now!

You might be slower than him, but it would be nice if he took a little time and ran with you to support you!

As for logging in calories, I know what you mean about finding time. I am lucky that I can use my cell phone to log in whenever I eat. It makes it 100% more efficient.

Do you have a little notepad you can carry around with you and perhaps jot down notes of your meals each day, then log them in the evening?

A lot of members find it helpful to log meals BEFORE you eat, so planning out meals can help with the calories.

Personally, I don't do that because I am not always sure what I am going to eat, but if you pack your lunch, including snacks, you can probably log the food beforehand in the AM before leaving.

Good luck! and good luck with the BF. I hope he shapes up!
  • nicole_a
    Options
    Drink 8 oz of water before every meal (and at night whenever you feel like eating). If you are still hungry after that, eat raw veggies, which you can't have too many of!