Should I be satisfied with 1-2 lbs a week?

Options
2»

Replies

• orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are losing weight at a healthy rate. You are doing great. Dont get down about any weight loss even if its a half a pound. I also worry about sagging skin but I worry more about just getting healthy. You are getting healthier and thats all that matters.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    LesIsMoreXX Posts: 169
    Options
    I think that sounds perfect. I know it's kind of annoying because you'll want a more noticeable result faster but trust me, when I've lost more weight per week than that it usually just ends up right back on shortly after. But if I lose about 1-2 pounds per week it's much easier to maintain that weight.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Your choice. But I'd suggest you be satisfied with 1-2 lbs/week. Sure, if you lose faster, it may also be fine. But read some of the other chats around here... people who worry about their skin sagging because they lost quickly, people who have successfully lost weight in the past with faster diets, and are here because they yo-yo'd back up. There are probably others for whom a faster weight loss worked, and we just don't hear from them. As you state, when you start heavier, it may work to start off losing faster, but eventually you would need to level off and lose more slowly. It may make sense to start off fast, that is, to kick off your weight loss with a motivating speed, making it easier for you to continue by making some other things like exercise easier. For some people that fast start may be motivating. But, if you're the kind of person who will be disheartened when you need to slow down, then it may not be good for you to start off in "overdrive".
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The "ladies" magazines are full of diets that promise to help you lose 10 lbs in two weeks and stuff like that. They print a new one about every month. Why? Because they aren't having any long term impact on their readership. The people following those diets keep gaining it back and never make long term progress.

If you set modest goals, you will find you are not hungry after the first couple weeks. You will not feel you are depriving yourself at all. It is completely sustainable. You won't be miserable waiting for your "diet" to be over. Instead of climbing on and falling off a diet and continuing to gain over time, you will be eating a new way and losing at a steady pace. So don't just look at how fast you are losing from your current weight; look at how much less you will weigh than you would if you continued to gain at your current pace.

With modest weight loss, you will also feel good. You won't be tired and lacking in energy. You will have a healthy appetite, though you will eat only your measured portions and will learn to consider them adequate through practice. As you start to actually weigh less, you will feel like gravity has less of a hold on you, and you'll enjoy moving around. If you try to lose fast and burn a lot of fat fast by sparing the carbs, you will feel tired and have bad breath from the fat breakdown products.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's really friggin hard to lose weight. REALLY hard. Everything about your biology wants you to hold onto that weight. You should be celebrating a 1 or 2 lb lose per week!!!!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's healthy and sustainable. That is how I have approached it. If I have to look at my watch, constantly starving, and think "Is it over yet? Can I go back to normal now", I will not maintain any weight loss. Slow and steady is the way to do it!
    In a year, you'll be a year older, thin or not. Right? RIGHT! :flowerforyou:

Totally agree. I don't weight myself on a weekly basis and frankly don't believe your body works with precise numbers like that. I would focus on doing what is right for you (body and mind) and weight in occassionally.