Paleo Nutrition/Diet

Options
Thinking about trying the Paleo Nutrition Diet. Anybody have any thoughts about it?

Replies

• damionflynn
    damionflynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about it. Getting ready to read up on it (actually have several books to read up).
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have thoughts about it.

First, I think that the concept of eating whole and minimally processed foods is a good one. I don't think it should be taken to an all-or-nothing level of adherence but I feel that way about most dieting philosophies.

I think that the concept of "eating like our ancestors" is silly and I think the arbitrary elimination of food items without ample scientific backing to validate their elimination is also silly and not necessarily the best way to establish a good relationship with food.

But let me reiterate that while it sounds like I'm being negative about it, I think that overall, it's not a "bad" diet. It has good concepts to it, but I think one would be best to just take those good concepts from it and ignore the sillyness.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Did someone say paleo? *sits back for the show*
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I dont think youre allowed dairy while following it.

Thats an automatic dealbreaker for me :noway:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of paleo, mainly the clean eating aspect of it. I don't really see a reason to eliminate things like grains and dairy entirely though. Not to mention most people eat a to of meat when eating paleo, which I cannot do. It personally makes me feel sick and bloated.
  • fieldsy4life
    fieldsy4life Posts: 155
    Options
    Go Primal - less restrictive. You can do some dairy on primal.

It's an awesome diet; I'm no longer Paleo, but I had amazing results from it. YOU HAVE TO DO IT RIGHT THOUGH! So many idiots on this site think Paleo means Wendy's with no bun.

Right now I'm applying everything I learned from Paleo - no processed foods, fresh veggies (organically grown if possible), and wild-caught fish. I still don't eat pasta and beer EVER, and allow bread occasionally (like a multigrain baguette from Panera). However, I do drink protein shakes, eat Clif Bars, drink Lactaid milk, and go on a cheat/binge once every week or so.

But yeah, if you're gonna do it, you really need to do your homework.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Oh yeah, and oatmeal. I eat oatmeal every day - which is def not Paleo.
  • yoyoannieo
    yoyoannieo Posts: 42
    Options
    Go Primal - less restrictive. You can do some dairy on primal.

It's an awesome diet; I'm no longer Paleo, but I had amazing results from it. YOU HAVE TO DO IT RIGHT THOUGH! So many idiots on this site think Paleo means Wendy's with no bun.

Right now I'm applying everything I learned from Paleo - no processed foods, fresh veggies (organically grown if possible), and wild-caught fish. I still don't eat pasta and beer EVER, and allow bread occasionally (like a multigrain baguette from Panera). However, I do drink protein shakes, eat Clif Bars, drink Lactaid milk, and go on a cheat/binge once every week or so.

But yeah, if you're gonna do it, you really need to do your homework.

Ive been doing primal for about 3 weeks now and love it... can you tell me more about your cheat/binge - what do you have? Also now that youre not drinking beer, what do you drink?
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think any fad diet is just that: a fad diet.

The one thing that's good about paleo is that it limits processed crap. The bad thing? It throws out alot of good stuff along with it like dairy and breads.

Just work on eating healthier, and avoid fads.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no point in doing something that you don't plan to keep up the rest of your life, which is why I am on MFP for a lifestyle change.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

First, I think that the concept of eating whole and minimally processed foods is a good one. I don't think it should be taken to an all-or-nothing level of adherence but I feel that way about most dieting philosophies.

I think that the concept of "eating like our ancestors" is silly and I think the arbitrary elimination of food items without ample scientific backing to validate their elimination is also silly and not necessarily the best way to establish a good relationship with food.

But let me reiterate that while it sounds like I'm being negative about it, I think that overall, it's not a "bad" diet. It has good concepts to it, but I think one would be best to just take those good concepts from it and ignore the sillyness.

Great point. I cant live with cereal and sandwiches. I guess if I choose whole wheat over white that would be more beneficial.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Great point. I cant live with cereal and sandwiches. I guess if I choose whole wheat over white that would be more beneficial.

I think that as a general rule, (with exception to allergies/individual intolerances or moral reasons) you should focus on eating the appropriate amount of calories with sufficient intake of protein/fat/carbs by the end of the day. You should utilize some common sense with food selection ("mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods would be a good idea and "some" treats should be incorporated as well). You should train hard and you should get rest.

Beyond the above I would really not get too caught up in some arbitrary and non-scientific set of rules that dictate what you can and cannot eat, because the names of the foods you eat do not dictate your body composition. The above paragraph however, does.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Binge/cheat means exactly that - totally balls to the wall competitive eating haha. It's mainly been because of traveling for work, dinners with coworkers, dates, weddings/bachelor parties - just my life in general. But yeah - cheat meals are usually elaborate seafood dishes (my favorite food), fried seafood, or sandwiches/burgers. And a diesel dessert like a brownie sundae.

A few months ago, I actually ate dinner before going out for my best friend's bday just because I couldn't eat anything on the menu. It kinda sucked. Eating out while on strict Paleo/Primal is pretty much impossible. So much soybean oil and butter (and it's not grass fed butter).

So yeah, Paleo made me feel incredible, but was really tough to balance with my social life.

Anyways, for drinking, I was never a big beer guy. I drink mainly Grey Goose martinis when I go out, and I drink straight tequila, vodka, scotch, or bourbon at my place. And tons of red wine :)
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I don't like calling Paleo a fad diet though. Plenty of people live without dairy and grains - you must not know anyone with lactose intolerance, IBS, or Celiac disease.

One of my best friends is going to Stanford in the fall (in other words, he's not dumb), and he has been strict Paleo for 3 years. He gets his blood tested every year and his organ values and cholesterol are all insanely good - pretty impressive for a diet that is over 50% fat.
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm staying as much as possible (for me) to primal and I have never felt better while loosing weight. Simple calorie cutting I felt deprived and hungry but with this change I have enjoyed it.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have been eating paleo/primal for about 2 months. I love it and have never felt better. Cutting out gluten, sugar and dairy was the best thing I have ever done for my health. Before turning to paleo I had IBS, eczema, allergies, asthma. Now, the eczema is cleared up, IBS is much better unless I eat something I shouldn't and I can tell right away when I do. Asthma is improved, allergies aren't as bad, although this time of year is pretty bad for allergies anyhow. But, I can't recommend this diet enough. I am never hungry and if I am busy and don't eat for awhile I don't get the headache and shakes like I used to. Just stomach growling and that's it. Beginning in January I went from being sedentary to working out 4-5 times a week, yet I couldn't lose a pound. I was crabby, bloated, and frustrated. I had a health assessment and the lady said my gut was a mess and recommended gluten/sugar/dairy free. I found out about Paleo by looking for recipes I could eat.

I don't think of it as a fad or a "diet" at all. I will never go back to another way of eating. Once you get off the sugar and grains and then try it again, you realize how crappy those foods make you feel. Not saying everyone should do it, but if you are having trouble losing weight, if you feel like certain foods make you moody, or bloated, or if you have any kind of auto immune disease I would give it a try for sure and see how you feel.

I mainly follow the Primal diet, although you can eat dairy on it and I don't, except pasture butter, and sometimes goat cheese. I drink unsweetened almond milk and also whey protein powder. The only "cheat" I have is an occasional KIND bar and certain salad dressings that have some added sugar or agave. I try to stay under 100 carbs a day.