Angry vegan

Options
I just bought this soy protein powder because I wanted to supplement my diet with it, and I (of course) read the ingredients before buying it: Soy Protein Isolate, Fructose, Natural & Artificial Flavors, and Soy Lecithin. So I think, "okay, it's vegan, that's great!" just as I break the seal, rendering it nonreturnable, I realize that in bold print just under the ingredients, the label reads, "contains milk and soy ingredients" uuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh damn it. But I'm not about to waste ten bucks and throw it away, so I guess I'll just be 99% vegan for the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, if anyone is vegan, add me! I'd love to see how others get protein in, maybe share some recipes.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegan but I can help you out with a protein powder that is. You do have to order it. It didn't taste too bad (I don't like soy at all so it was okay for me not good).

http://www.sunwarrior.com/product-info/warrior-blend/

The macros are good and the company will send you samples if you e-mail them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Angry Vegan would be a good brand name for soy patties and such.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Vegan or not...I would stay away from soy products as much as I can.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I think the soy-estrogen link isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, if that's what you're getting at.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use Vegan Protein +. It's plant based. I get it at the health food store. Don't get strawberry. It literally made me throw up.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options

I think the soy-estrogen link isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, if that's what you're getting at.

Agreed. If you actually read the research you'll find the fear of soy is unsubstantiated. :flowerforyou:
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    you can also avoid soy because it is one of the most common genetically modified foods.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree on the GMO soy. Nasty stuff.

There's a good pea protein powder also at Vitacost.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would suspect that if the ingredients don't say dairy, the statement about containing milk is just to avoid lawsuits from people with dairy allergies. They may process dairy products in the same factory, or they may not be able to be 100% certain none of their suppliers process dairy on their equipment. "Natural flavors" often covers products from suppliers that may change from time to time, and they don't want to revise their labels.

People who really have allergies get very frustrated that products have those warnings on the label whether there is a real chance of an allergic reaction or not.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Agreed. If you actually read the research you'll find the fear of soy is unsubstantiated. :flowerforyou:

actually, I have actually read quite a bit about soy and while I do not fear soy, I avoid it
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I would suspect that if the ingredients don't say dairy, the statement about containing milk is just to avoid lawsuits from people with dairy allergies. They may process dairy products in the same factory, or they may not be able to be 100% certain none of their suppliers process dairy on their equipment. "Natural flavors" often covers products from suppliers that may change from time to time, and they don't want to revise their labels.

People who really have allergies get very frustrated that products have those warnings on the label whether there is a real chance of an allergic reaction or not.
    This is my thought, too. It is probably just a liability issue if it isn't listed in the ingredients.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a fan of soy either.... i have heard though that there are Pea Protein powders and Hemp Protein powders. Perhaps those would be a better option, but it's going to depend on the brand and what they mix with it. I think a company called Nutiva... or Nutriva.. something like that makes a hemp powder that's organic and vegan :)
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm not sure if it helps, but I get veganessentials.com news letter and their vega protein powder is on clearance right now.

Also, when I was vegan, I used a lot of hemp protein powder
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    I just ordered some of the vanilla protein powder from the Vega website. It had some pretty good reviews on Amazon.com
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some of the vanilla protein powder from the Vega website. It had some pretty good reviews on Amazon.com

I use Vega One. The chocolate kind is great mixed with soy milk, and the berry flavor is great in a fruit smoothie. And its vegan.
  • michellegr88
    Options
    I agree with most on the soy products being not so bad as once thought....it was a 90's myth debunked. As I understand it, it goes like this....instead of your own estrogen kicking in when you have soy products, that will take over and because your own estrogen can and will help cancer grow by replacing it with a soy plant based nutrient is better for your overall health.