Olive Garden...

Options
13»

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sodium city! I always get the bean soup and fill up on that, and then take my pasta dish home and split it up and give my hubbub half the next day
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here's my Mother's Day dinner. Ate the other 1/2 the next day.

Olive Garden - Stuffed Chicken Marsala W/ Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, 0.5 entree 400 cals
    Olive Garden - Endless Italian Salad - 1 Salad, 1 serving 201 cals
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I order salad with no croutons, extra tomato, lowfat peppercorn dressing on side and dip not dump. Then lunch size pomodoro with whole wheat noodles and extra garlic and basil. Waitresses hate me
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options

R.G. (AZ)
    P.G. (TX)
    S.M.ASCE
    Practicing Engineering Geology for 7+ years
    MFP Member 1+ year

Um...THANK YOU FOR THIS
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Classic advice...I worked as a server for 10 years and could always tell who was focusing on fitness. Remember that restaurant portions are typically 1.5-2x what a real "portion" should be. Good advice to get your meal and immediately ask for a to go box and put half away for the next day. This way you get to enjoy it twice!

I do this for MANY restaurants. I try to savor ONE breadstick- break in 1/2 to eat w/ salad, the other w/ meal, just make sure to drink lots of water earlier in the day, during and after to offset the sodium.
    And most people eating with you won't mind if you ask for the dressing ON THE SIDE, instead of poured directly on the WHOLE salad bowl....
    I pass on the croutons= just not worth the added calories, carbs, fat and sodium. And easy on the grated Parmesan cheese.
  • hsass75
    hsass75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I will stick with my favorites, but only eat half or a third. I'm then usually able to plan the calories into my day. I refuse to get something I don't like just because the calories are lower. Oh, and I do tend to stay away from the bread sticks.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I say go and enjoy. One day isn't going to break you as long as you don't do it all the time. :) Put half in a to-go container and you can enjoy leftovers the next day! :D

If you want some rules of thumb...

Stay away from white sauces (e.g. alfredo). They are cream based and LOADED with cals.

Stay away from thick pastas (e.g. fettuccine) and choose thinner options (e.g. angel hair).

Stay away from fried things (e.g. mozzarella sticks, chicken parmesan).

Get dressing on the side and don't add extra cheese.

Don't eat too many bread sticks. :)

Hope this helps!

P.S. Chain restaurants often have nutrition guides available online. OG has one for sure, as does any Darden owned restaurant (e.g. OG, Red Lobster, etc.)
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I Love Zuppa Toscana, but it's definitely not fat free and to be honest I won't buy it at Olive Garden anymore because my homemade is much better. I bought all the makings this week to make a low fat version, including turkey sausage and turkey bacon as well as fat free half n half (not sure how that can be). I always use a lot more kale than the recipe calls for, so that is good too. I have a bottle of the Olive Garden and it has less fat and calories than some of the olive oil and vinegar dressing, but obviously more than the low cal/low fat dressing you can buy. Good Luck and Enjoy!
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've only ate there twice. But both times it threw everything off the charts. Since it's not something I routinely do I wasn't worried.
  • gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing last week end. I ended up ordering the parmessan crusted tilapia w/ zucchinni and a small portion of pasta. I also had the green salad w/the salad dressing on the side, so I used very little and no bread sticks:cry: I believe the main course was 590 calories and was very good.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Venetian Apricot Chicken is not too bad for you.

And it's quite tasty.
  • hbaby08
    hbaby08 Posts: 75
    Options
    agree with all. but drink plenty of water, their sodium counts on most dishes are no joke
  • Carissamr
    Carissamr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Venetian Apricot Chicken is not too bad for you.

This is what I was going to suggest...I believe the dinner was 400 calories...I am not sure about the other nutritional info but I am sure it is a bit high in sugar because of the apricots...Watch out though because when you add the salad, with dressing, drinks and bread sticks it can easily become an 800-1000 calorie meal
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I just got done eating my nice broiled chicken breast..and came back to hear talk of Olive Garden!!

Now I want Alfredo. LOTS of Alfredo. Swimming in Sauce!

/sigh

LOL...I just gotta remember that nothing tastes as good as thin feels...

(except maybe alfredo)

:tongue:
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We had this for dinner tonight. I had the Mediterranean Grilled chicken, one breadstick, one serving of salad and then we had zeppolis with chocolate sauce for dessert (at the request of a very persuasive 5 year old.) It was really really good. The sodium was crazy though and I'm sure I'll be retaining water like crazy.
  • killingtheantagonist
    killingtheantagonist Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I go to Olive Garden I always get the Parmesan Crusted Bistecca. It's 690 calories for the whole thing and it's a lot to me. I usually end up taking half of it home.
    Parmesan_Crusted_Bistecca.jpg
  • amberleighM04
    amberleighM04 Posts: 108
    Options
    I always have soup, salad and one breadstick.