What snacks do you buy?

Options
When you go food shopping what snacks do you buy to stay healthy?

Replies

• elenaviolet
    elenaviolet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i usually get some nuts or a granola bar
  • alyecat
    alyecat Posts: 28
    Options
    Vanilla yogurt with banana granola, sunflower seeds, bananas, grapes, apples, carrots, almonds, kashi granola bars... I am trying to stkck to healthy stuff. Stuff to satisfy my sweet and salty cravings too.
  • pinto_bean
    pinto_bean Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    fruit, raw cashews, pistachios, peanut butter, celery, baby carrots, hummus, lentil crackers, string cheese, roasted seaweed snacks
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    carrot sticks, a lot of veggies to roast in the oven and keep on hand, apples, peanut butter, frozen grapes, rice cakes to spread pb on, yogurts (I like siggi), low fat cheese sticks, tuna pouches, popcorn, bananas, fresh fruit cups from whole foods
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit, peanut butter, plain unsalted nuts, plain fat free greek yogurt
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    Mini clif bars (only 100 calories!), fresh fruit and veggies, hard-boiled eggs, light string cheese
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I use to buy fresh fruit and veggies but not anymore. They are so EXPENSIVE. When we stopped buying them our food bill went down a lot. So we buy few things of fruit and when we eat veggies its from a can or frozen. I also buy those 100 calorie snacks from the keebler brands since I have a sweet tooth. I try to eat nuts as much as I can but they are expensive as well. Instead of having chips I buy pretzels. I eat yogurt. The thing suxs is that we live on military base and whole foods, or any health foods stores isn't located near us. We have to shop at the commissary or walmart.
  • prettyGAMMA
    Options
    I like to buy fresh fruit like cantalope and honeydew melon. I also like to buy granola and wasabi peas. My absolute fav snack is steam-bag edamame (soybean) because it has a nutty flavor like a boiled peanut
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Celery and Peanut Butter
    Sugar Free Pudding
    Sugar Free Jello
    Can of Mixed Nuts
    BBQ Pork Grinds
    Non-Fat Yogurt (not the low Fat)
    Grapes
    Pears
    Kiwi
    Meat and Cheese Roll ups
    Beef Jerky

I have more I like to use. But these are what I have been using the last few weeks.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Options
    Celery and Peanut Butter
    Sugar Free Pudding
    Sugar Free Jello
    Can of Mixed Nuts
    BBQ Pork Grinds
    Grapes
    Pears
    Kiwi
    Meat and Cheese Roll ups
    Beef Jerky

I have more I like to use. But these are what I have been using the last few weeks.

Isn't BBQ Pork Grinds filled with fat? I always thought they were filled with fat.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well the whole concept of "snacks" and "snacking" change when you are shifting over to a healthier lifestyle. No snacking after dinner especially after 7pm. Snacks between meals are usually a carb with one protein to keep that full feeling. So for me it can be an apple and a hard boiled egg, or some other fruit or veggie with nuts.
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Jiff Peanut Butter To Go (Natural or Chocolate Silk) with and apple
    Jello Sugar Free Pudding
    Wassa Crisp with 2 TBLS Jiff Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
    94% Fat Free Popcorn (2 cups)
    Yoplait Strawberry Greek Yogurt with Granola
    Yoplat Honey Vanilla Greek Yogurt
    Yoplait Very Vanilla Light Yogurt

I also buy fresh fruit and veggies at the Farmer's Market. I get enough for a family of 6 for $60 and sometimes it lasts two weeks.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Celery and Peanut Butter
    Sugar Free Pudding
    Sugar Free Jello
    Can of Mixed Nuts
    BBQ Pork Grinds
    Grapes
    Pears
    Kiwi
    Meat and Cheese Roll ups
    Beef Jerky

Isn't BBQ Pork Grinds filled with fat? I always thought they were filled with fat.

Fat in the diet suppresses hunger and is an important nutrient. If you keep your calories in check, then fat is actually good for weight loss. Sugary and carby stuff cause you to get more hungry, hence why you usually get hungry 30 minutes after eating Chinese food, which is mostly rice and noodles and all the meat's covered in sugary sauces.

I love to eat nuts, pork rinds, hardboiled eggs, canned fish and cheese for snacks. A small amount usually keeps me full until my next meal.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, granola bars, Special K stuff, produce. I try to mix things up every week, doesn't always work. And sometimes I find something I really like and eat it until I get burnt out on it :-/
  • Iansmommy123011
    Options
    I just bough fresh grapes not too long ago. I went into my fridge and they are rotten already. I hate buying fresh fruit and fresh veggies because they rot easy. :(
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    fruits, veggies and nuts! When I do granola bars I tend to stay away from the chocolate and yogurt covered stuff and go for the 'whole food' bars, such as Quaker Harvest Crunch, occasionally Oatmeal to Go, definitely Taste of Nature and that sort of thing
  • f1ctional
    f1ctional Posts: 235
    Options
    I have 100 calorie snack packs of pretty much everything, but it's working for me!
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If the fruit is rotting then you are buying too much at one time. I will buy 2 apples, 3 bananas, 1 bunch of grapes, a small bunch of mixed greens etc. You don't have to take a big pack.

Hard boiled eggs are very cheap and good for you.

Nuts are expensive...but if you can find it in bulk - like at Walmart, then you can buy smaller portions. Remember - a serving is about 22 nuts so if you portion them out properly they will last a while.

I make sweet potato chips. Slice the potatoes super thin, toss with olive oil and bake. I lightly salt them and they are a great little snack.

Popcorn. The cook your own variety is very cheap. Just use a good oil.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I am a chip kinda girl and the Special K Cracker Chips are so so tasty and only 80 calories a serving!
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For on-the-go snacks, fruit is always great. Apart from that, I like to get roasted or fresh edamame.
    As far as more packaged things go, my current favorites are:

-Pure Organic bars (I usually have 1/2 at a time to consider them snacks)
    -Kashi crackers
    -Veggie sticks
    -Greek yogurt or soy yogurt
    -Dried fruit, especially the ones from TJ's
    -Roasted wasabi peas
    -Almonds/mixed nuts
    -Back To Nature cookies
    -Bora Bora Food Bars