question for people who work night shift???

Options
Hi,
I just got a job where I will be working overnights for 12 hour shifts. This is a big change for me. I am wondering for those of you who work this shift how do you prepare your meals, etc. Did you have to totally change the way you usually plan? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS. I will be working in private homes as a crisis care nurse so I don't have to worry about having a "set" break time so to speak.

Replies

• scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    Hi there, I work night shifts too every other weekend and I plan my meals in advance. I treat the night like the day and the day like the night. BC I eat at night I don't eat during the day because I will be sleeping. Do you see what I mean?? I know this isn't that much help but I hope it helps a little.
  • jhutch365
    Options
    Hi there, I work a late swing shift at the hospital. I try to set my breakfast, lunch, and dinner times about the same amount of hours in between meals I eat on normal days. Let me clarify a little. On the weekends, I might eat at 8a,12n, and 6p... so on my swing shift days I eat at 1030a, 2:30p, and 8p. I also take light snacks like tomato soup and light popcorn. All of this also depends on what kind of schedule you plan for your days off (will you keep the same schedule through out your week, or try to return to "normalcy"!) Hope this helps a little. I always try to eat lightly or nothing at all when it is getting close to time to finally go to bed!:yawn:
  • RunLillian
    RunLillian Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have the same schedule as you...12 hr night shifts with undetermined breaks. what I do is i have breakfast (oatmeal) around 530pm and work starts at 7. Once I get to work I kinda get busy and don't really get hungry until around 9-10pm. I pack a kashi granola bar for my "mid-morning snack". Something light I can just eat at my desk. Then for my dinner I pack frozen lean cuisines or soup. I also bring fruit and veggies and just snack on them if i get hungry throughout the night. Sometimes I'll add some coffee to the beginning of my shift but found out the hard way that if i drink it after 1-2 am I'll have trouble falling asleep once I get home. For my dinner, I usually will go to bed without food, since i'm so exhausted from working, or i'll bring an extra meal to work to eat around 6am before I leave at 7am. This can be eggs, cereal, or a sandwhich. I sometimes don't get all my calories on the night shift but it evens out as some days i'm up too early in the afternoon and end up staying up around 18 hrs. It's a very unpredictable schedule but plan ahead and you should be fine! Just remember to stay away from ordering out...even if other people are doing it!!
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.