Before (5 years ago) and now (post pregnancy) - blech!

Options
I was just looking at a different sort of before and after pictures than are usually posted here.

5 years ago, these pictures were taken:

IMG_7333.jpg

Triathlon.jpg

This was when I was running half marathons, doing short triathlons, competitive horseback riding and a whole bunch of other activities (tennis, badminton...) just for fun. I also loved to work out.

Then I met my now husband, moved halfway around the globe, had two kids, postpartum depression and no sleep (my 2nd child literally did not sleep for longer than 2 hours at a time for the first NINE months of his life), and now I look like this:

IMG_3137.jpg

I went from 140/145 to 225. I look like crap and I feel like crap. It doesn't help that it is really hard to get out of the house. I did manage to finally commit to MFP about 3 weeks ago, when I started to log my food intake. I have since lost about 10lbs. That is only a small goal though, when looking at the overall picture.

This community is very encouraging, and I am just hoping I will be able to get back to my original weight and maybe even get a little more toned...

Replies

• Kelsathebay
    Kelsathebay Posts: 34
    Options
    good luck on your journey and mfp is a great tool definately helps me. great results so keep it up.
  • CharlottetheHarlot
    Options
    Stay faithful to your tracking. Exercise and drink lots of water! You've got this!
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am mom to 3, and can really understand when you talk about the before and after pictures!
    My youngest is almost 3 and I still have a long way to get back to my pre-babies body! Sometimes I even wonder
    if I'll get there..but I know I'm going to try my hardest and hopefully I'll see that body that I've missed this
    last 10 yrs! Good luck on your journey!
  • yoyoannieo
    yoyoannieo Posts: 42
    Options
    Yep im hearing you too about the pre and post bubby body! This is a great site and tracking is a great way to go. I also downloaded some podcasts which ive found super helpful and informative - they are 'cut the fat' and the 'underground wellness' podcasts. Lets not forget that we have and are doing the most important jobs in the world being mummas - so cheers to us! Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me too!
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't be disheartened by the journey! If you take it steady at 1 pound a week loss, this time next year you will have lost nearly 4 stone...think about that.
  • wvval
    wvval Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MFP will help you lose your weight and get back into shape:) Take your time, keep logging, and enjoy the journey. Good luck!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey, you'll get there! The community here is very supportive and I'm sure you will be successful.
  • colechartier
    colechartier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm a mum of 3 boys (all born between 2008-2011) i gained over 50 lbs with each pregnancy. You'll find ton of support and encouragement here mama!

Like others have said, lots of water will do wonders! Also i find tracking my calories makes me more aware of what i eat and i don't want to waste precious food calories of "crap" food....but with kids it's so easy to just steal part of their lunch or snacks eh?

there will be ups and downs....reward yourself for the ups but don't beat yourself up for the downs....just get back on track and only look forward :)

YOU GOT THIS!
  • satxdc99
    satxdc99 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track by joining MFP. You can do it. Losing weight and getting healthy will give you so much more stamina and energy to keep up with your new baby. Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Aww I wish you had some help with the little ones when you were so stressed out. I've been there but it wasn't as hard as what you've been through. In the end, family is worth it, even if they do make you crazy! Be proud of yourself for being such a good mother!

You've taken the right step by joining MFP! Gradually changing habits in a way that works for you and your family would help all of you in the long run. You know how to get in shape and you can involve the kids now too! Even if it's just going for walks and you get the bonus of spending quality time together. I hope that by now you can spend some time ALONE too. It's so important to 'get away' from the house, even if it's just for a bit.

You can do this, you'll feel better and it may even help with the depression. Exercising helps me a LOT with stress and I have a ton of it. Keep logging faithfully and gradually make healthier choices if necessary. Sometimes it helps to look back on your diary. I've been doing this since January and I've lost 35lbs but sometimes I'll go back to my early diary days and see some of the junk I was eating and gasp. lol Small changes make all the difference. Be patient and don't try to lose the weight too fast. Make it a lifestyle and not a diet and you'll be more likely to stick with it once you reach goal.. and you WILL reach goal!

Add me as a friend if you'd like. I just started jogging a few weeks ago and I could use YOUR experience and support too. :)
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You are going to do great!! Keep logging in the food intake. Focus on that. As your kids get older, IT WILL GET EASIER!! If possible, can you take long walks with them in a stroller? Or in a back pack or front pack thing? Try to just walk for now. Maybe add in a fitness dvd when they nap. Don't give up. :flowerforyou: