Exercising in the evening?

Options
how many of you exercise after dinner? I'd like to try it but I'm afraid I won't sleep well. I've read that exercising later in the evening will disrupt your sleep.....Just curious.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    There's really no way to know how it will affect you until you try it.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I get out of work at 12 am and sometimes lift then... I sleep like a baby after, LOL and I take jack 3D before usually to give me extra motivation
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    depends on you...give it a try
  • kepirus
    kepirus Posts: 79
    Options
    In the evening is when I always exercise . . . but that's what works for me. I'm naturally nocturnal, despite every effort to become a morning person.
    I don't think it's ever kept me from getting to sleep.
  • Cresentsharps
    Cresentsharps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It maybe different between people, but i've found that i actually sleep better after i've exercised in the evening...
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill while watching the Red Sox at night. Lately, that will put you to sleep! :)) I usually have dinner at 6:30pm, exercise at 9pm, in bed by 10:30pm. It doesn't keep me up. I actually seem to sleep better.
  • TheLittleOneThatCould
    Options
    I exercise around 9:30pm after kiddies go to sleep. I am then wide awake for at least 1 hour to 1.5 hours after working out. :(
  • RoosMommy01
    RoosMommy01 Posts: 88
    Options
    I walk in the evenings and I always sleep real good afterwards.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    About to Zumba right now. I almost always sleep better, whether it's from being tired physically or mentally draining it out when I run, it just helps me drift easier and faster!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think you should try it on a night where you don't have something very important the next morning.

I can't train at night because it totally screws with my sleep.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I love running at sunset bc it's been a heck of alot cooler and I have more energy that time of day bc I work nights. My husband and I will do our ab workouts before bed the nights I'm home and lately we've been adding in the punching bag to it. On the flip side when I work 7p-7a I hit the gym right after work and I can tell you I'm pretty wiped out when I get home and head straight to bed.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    It affects my sleep if I exercise too late in the evening. I cant switch off.
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings after kiddos in bed. I've always done that so I'm used to it and it doesn't affect my sleep. You just have to try it out and see what works best for you. I'm actually trying 1-2 days a week to workout in the morning, prior to work, kids getting up, etc. I find that even more challenging!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I only exercise after dinner, usually between 7pm-9pm its after the kids go to bed. I don't sleep well to begin so not sure it hurts it or not. I can't really get a workout in the morning since my youngest wakes up at 5:30-6am. Just try it out and see if it works for you. Good luck!
  • areeley
    areeley Posts: 4
    Options
    I exercise at night and find it helps me get a great night's sleep. For me, working out late in the day really clears my mind and reduces my stress level. Good luck.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I really like to walk early in the mornings, but lately I've been going out with my husband in the evenings. He's not an early bird, so this gives us time together. As long as I wait at least an hour after dinner, it doesn't bother me, and it hasn't interfered with my sleep at all.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I remember watching the **** Van *kitten* show from the 1960's. He would do exercises in his pajamas next to the bed and then hop in to go to sleep.
    I always thought that would just wake me right up.

I think I could exercise in the evening, just not right before bedtime.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    LOL MFP you so funny censoring a mans name
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I find I sleep better when I exercise at night. Sandman comes to visit very early and I can't go to bed until I get the kid to bed. I do twice a day exercise, morning and evening except on weekends where I only workout once a day.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It maybe different between people, but i've found that i actually sleep better after i've exercised in the evening...

This! As long as I give my body 30-60 minutes to just relax after exercising before bed, I fall asleep quickly and sleep like the dead. Plus I find I don't like to get up early enough to exercise in the morning, I just keep hitting snooze. :yawn: