Stop telling me i shouldnt lose any more weight!

Options
I get this all the time. People telling me that "you shouldnt lose any more weight its unhealthy" or "you're so skinny, you need to eat more" it makes me want to say "oh, you've really cleared that up for me, excuse me while i go to eat myself into an early grave because its apparently healthier than being skinny with a low body fat percentage."

Im 117lb, 5'3" and im training to lose excess body fat not weight.

I was mainly just wondering if others get this type of thing and how you handle it because i have a hard time not slapping them in the face....

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    A guy I was dating told me to stop exercising because my body is already amazing, and I will waste away

Uhh, I don't look good by sitting on my butt buddy...
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    In yesterday's version of this thread, someone had a really good answer. Just say you are focusing on recomposition rather than weight loss per se.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think i will have to start altering my answer in order to stop getting stupid respones. :)
    Maybe just for a laugh, i'll just start telling people im in the secret service and for the good of the nation i have to be skinny. (Just because i know most of you are in the USA, New Zealand doesnt have a secret service or any kind of services really. lol.)
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Tell them you have to make weight for your next powerlifting meet.
  • Awkward30
    Options
    Maybe NZ does have one and it's just REALLY secret
  • SashThompson
    Options
    Maybe NZ does have one and it's just REALLY secret

In that case i better start exercising more!!!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Excess body fat... Weight..
    Theyre the same thing, you lose weight.. Mainly fat. It depends if you are dieting so badly you are losing muscle.. and you wouldnt have much body fat even left... with your height and weight ratio.

No one can tell you those things, although you are in the healthy weight range I recommend not losing anymore fat because your body needs it, even if its 10 - 20%. But its your choice and no one elses.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd just be like, "I don't eat crap because I don't wanna, and I work out because it feels good." And then I'd add something extra sassy and likely to offend to prevent future queries.
  • Awkward30
    Options
    Respond with "you really shouldn't gain any more weight"
  • ßlackSwan
    ßlackSwan Posts: 6
    Options
    I get this all the time. People telling me that "you shouldnt lose any more weight its unhealthy" or "you're so skinny, you need to eat more" ... I was mainly just wondering if others get this type of thing and how you handle it.

Yes, I have. Next time they hound you, smile sweetly and explain that your BMI is NORMAL. This is not a statement, it's a scientific fact. If they don't know what a "BMI" is then perhaps you should educate them, so that they stop proclaiming that the world is flat when it's not.
  • penelopepitstop2012
    Options
    I get this all the time especially from my not so fit friends, not to sound up myself or anything but I really do think they are just a wee bit jealous and want everyone else to look like them so they feel better about themselves. I just tell them I eat healthy and exercise because it makes me feel good and keeps me sane than kindly suggest they do the same and it should shut them up
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think some people see that as a kind of left handed compliment. Or. Something.

Anyway. If someone were to say that to me, I'd say "Thank you for your opinion" or "I'll take you opinion under advisement" (with as much sarcasm in your voice as I can manage) and I'd change the subject. You do not owe anyone any details or explanations and it's certainly not worth arguing about.

I find it extremely rude for anyone to make comments on another person's weight unless it's coming from a physician you are under the care of or have actually asked for advice. But that's just me.

People love to try to control what other people do with their lives for some reason that perplexes the crap out of me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been getting a lot of this lately, and mostly from friends who are smaller than me. I know for one friend it's definitely jealousy because she got drunk one day and told me to my face that I need to stop dieting before I'm smaller than her (just few more pounds before I hit that goal!)

For the rest, I think my friends have a skewed concept of my body right now. They're so used to the extra weight I was carrying around that they see me as much smaller than I am.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I always replied very honestly with the following:

"Exercise helps me reduce stress. If I don't exercise regularly I feel very stiff, I can't sleep and I don't want to eat. It is not about the weight loss, it's about my health."

Then again, I'm in medical school so the stress thing is a HUGE issue here.
  • SashThompson
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies :) you've all got some great suggestions! Hopefully I'll be more prepared for the next time it happens so I don't get so mad!
    Thanks again xx
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I work in a bar with nothing but deep fried crap. I tell my coworkers I respect my body enough to not fill it with junk. I'd rather eat my banana and protein bar with my bottles of water.