how to get rid of the guilty feeling when you over eat

Options
So I had such a crappy day today and just pigged out and did no exercise at all and just feel like *kitten* really. I have not lost weight in two weeks and am really starting to loose motivation. Any useful advice to help with the guilty feeling you get when you really screw up and to help kick start the weight loss again?

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I can't say how many times I've had crappy days and pigged out. The next day, I do my best to get back on plan and remember WHY this is important to me. I can move forward, or I can stay where I am. Every day is a new choice.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    um yes, summer is around the corner and VS has sexy swim suits =D
  • wcerullo2000
    Options
    It's ok, these things happen sometimes. I also pigged out yesterday and didn't exercise. I agree that every day is a new day. What i try to do the next day is cut down on sugar as much as I can, eat as clean as possible. And for jump starting your weight loss, when was the last time you mixed up what you ate or what you were doing for a workout? It may be time to try a new kind of cardio and strength training and to incorporate new (healthy) foods. And lots of water and green tea :)
    Don't beat yourself up, we're all human and sometimes s**t happens. Hang in there! It's worth it!
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    Don't beat yourself as that makes it worse. its all about moderation, if you had bad day, thats okay, one bad day won't put weight on. Why don't you ask your friends to go for walk or gym class with you? So then you have to go and do some exercise to help you get back into the swing of things. :-) Thats what I do and I find it gets me back on track!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Realize how your actions have caused you to feel disgusted with yourself and decide if that's the path you want to continue down. We all know what it takes to be successful in this, it's up to us to decide how to go forward. Best of luck to you on getting your head back in the game. :flowerforyou:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    We all have those days. I ate meat for the first time in three months yesterday and totally paid for it. It was the only option at the party I went to, other than chips or strawberries. Just shrug it off and recommit mentally. Then make a plan somewhere in writing -- I often use my ipod because I have it with me constantly -- and stick to it for the week. It will help you get back on track. Good luck, you can do it!:smile:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Go work out hard and sweat it out. You will feel better afterwards.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    From some of the things I have read, when you are stuck on a plateau you need to make a few changes. Perhaps up your calories a bit and maybe change up your exercise routine.

As for feeling guilty, just don't. Stop looking at it as being on a diet (a negative) and "cheating" and start looking at it as living a healthier, happier lifestyle (a positive). It's tough to be "on a diet", but your lifestyle is simply that; how you live your life.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It's not really a screw up. Just a blip really. Make better choices next meal. Guilt is a seriously useless emotion. Sometimes you need to just wallow for a bit. Then get up, dust yourself off, put on your big girl panties and get on with it.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, it's sort of like shooting ourselves in the foot ....... why would we do that when we know it's going to hurt like hell ..... and yet we keep doing it !

So, what crap did you eat ? Can you avoid it in the future ..... go clean out your kitchen ...... dump the junk ..... change your routine ......

Let us know how it goes ....... and best of luck to you !
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i usually jump on the elliptical at night after a crappy over-eating day even if i've already done my exercise for the day...it makes me feel better
  • ellen_v
    ellen_v Posts: 33
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/606721-after-a-binge-after-a-meal-out-read-this

This is a really good thread to read. Just be healthy tomorrow, it's okay.
  • Montanarush
    Montanarush Posts: 76
    Options
    Just remember that everyone has crappy days and we will screw up. Just call it a treat day, because we need to change up and treat ourselves occasionally. Get up tomorrow, pick yourself up and start again. It really is not a big deal! You will be fine! Carry on! :happy:
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to realize that it wasn't the occasional pig out/no exercise day that made me fat, it was feeling crummy about it afterwards which gave me permission to continue pigging out and getting no exercise over and over again.

As a wise man once said, "Just stop it!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw