Mostly the same foods each day?

Options
Cirrex
Cirrex Posts: 4 Member
I have simple tastes. If I like a food, I can eat it for weeks or months just about every day at work. (Mon-Fri same breakfast, same lunch). Dinner and weekends vary upon what my wife cooks or the family wants.

Question:

Are there any weight loss draw backs to eating the same thing so often. (Along the lines of doing the same workout routine without variance leads to an ineffective workout)

My meals:

B-fast: Morningstar soy sausage biscuit
Lunch: PBJ, Cheezits( 1 serving), Banana
Snacks: Pistachios (about 30), M&Ms (10 pieces)
Drink: Lots of Water (no pop, coffee, tea, juice etc.

I also suppliment with vitamins.

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Having a diverse diet is just as important as changing up your exercise routines. Your body will get used to both and start working against you if you don't change it up once in a while. I would suggest every two weeks. It generally takes your body 2-4 weeks to become to used to the same diet and workout routines, so changing it up a bit every 2 weeks (or 3 weeks) will really help out!
    :flowerforyou:
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    sausage and cheesits aren't very healthy and pbj every day is okay but eat other things too.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vitamins are important to have ( I wouldn't worry about changing them at all ). which ones are you taking and what's your weight loss goal?
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I was reading a bodybuilder's blog where she was talking about how routine her food is, and how she cooks up like 9 pounds of chicken every sunday for the week. Seriously though, it's not at all a problem, I'm the same way, and deviating from my norm tends to make me hungrier. Boo for novelty!
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. As long as you stay within your macros you will be okay.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Do you not eat dinner?
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    I find eating the same things particularly easy to track, as long ad they are nutrient rich
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do you not eat dinner?

He said, dinner and weekend meals are varied cause his wife makes them
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The only issue I see is, you might want to add a dairy in there somewhere... I only say that for bone health and the other things calcium does.... but other than that.... I see no issue with just eating the same meal over and over and over. It would save on grocery shopping
  • emma9797
    emma9797 Posts: 36
    Options
    Most nutritionists even suggest people to eat the same kind or even the same foods over a day so i guess it is ok until you den't get tired of the food :)
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! There are some things I just never have gotten tired of and really crave. I have had a smoothie for breakfast for about 4 years now (even on weekends) with a little tweaking over time, I usually eat the same snacks throughout the week- gala apple, reduced fat cheese, cucumbers and hummus, Greek yogurt with honey, dry high fiber cereal, nuts - and recently I have begun baking chicken breasts on Sunday for lunch all week (as well as a quick protein snack). There is still plenty of room for variety, but as a busy person, I find it makes it easy to plan the day's eating and provides healthy choices when I don't have time to think about it.

I do try to make sure I am balancing fruits, vegetables, protein whether meat or not, and dairy, but don't worry if a day is heavy in one thing and light on another as the overall week is pretty balanced.

*Edited to add this link- not that I am a Dr. Oz follower, but if you Google the topic there are lots of articles to back up the idea of automating your diet a bit to help in weight loss.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/327054-eating-the-same-meals-helps-lose-weight/
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I tend to have slightly different dinners, but there are foods I eat daily, because I know they are nutritious and filling, and these include pears, apples, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs and my greek yoghurt mixed with pb2, seeds and a little jam. I have these things almost everyday.

Dinners tend to mostly be fish of some kind with a lot of vegetables, but also various vegetarian options in between, including a bean stews.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Do you not eat dinner?

He said, dinner and weekend meals are varied cause his wife makes them
    Sorry, didnt read it properly.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the same foods every day, I'm pretty picky, and very happy to be eating the same foods that i know and love day after day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Your body does not "adjust" to the foods you eat in terms of weight-loss. You can continue to create a calorie deficit eating the same foods day in and day out -- however this is just the weight-loss portion of your question.

A secondary issue is micronutrient deficiencies (or even macro deficiencies). For example suppose your daily diet is fat deficient or deficient in a specific vitamin. Over the course of a day or two, or a week or two, you might not have any issues by neglecting your need for that macro or micronutrient. But over the course of months, you might start to have health issues.

I would not recommend eating exactly the same thing every day unless you've got a good handle on what your body needs nutritionally.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    "I" look at it this way...Do you/can you eat the same stuff every day for the rest of your life?? There are going to be times when you are out and about (weddings, funerals, sports games, etc..) and there will be different varities of food choice out there. Why not spice it up now and get creative!? Live a little....your mouth/body will love new things!...LOL. This is a whole lifestyle change...your taste buds will change too. Good Luck. :smile:
  • AuntieLee
    AuntieLee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat the same meals every day... and have done so for the last year with slight variations:

B: 3 fried eggs, 2 fried tomatoes with parmesan cheese
    L: salad with chicken or tuna
    D: baked chicken or salmon and veggies or salad
    Snacks: celery, almonds, chocolate
    lots of hot sauce
    vitamins and minerals
    coffee, full fat cream

this works for me and I have had steady weight loss and absolutely no hunger
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way!! It's just simpler that way also. But I do try to switch it up as much as I can just in case i'm missing something....don't wanna be missing it on a regular basis. I haven't read anywhere that it's not a good way to do it.....yet.
  • smshur
    smshur Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same foods every week, too. I wish MyFitnessPal would alphabetize the list so that I don't have to waste time looking for them. I also exercise about the same amount every week. I'm still losing weight so if it's not broke...I'm not fixing it. :)
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Your body does not "adjust" to the foods you eat in terms of weight-loss. You can continue to create a calorie deficit eating the same foods day in and day out -- however this is just the weight-loss portion of your question.

A secondary issue is micronutrient deficiencies (or even macro deficiencies). For example suppose your daily diet is fat deficient or deficient in a specific vitamin. Over the course of a day or two, or a week or two, you might not have any issues by neglecting your need for that macro or micronutrient. But over the course of months, you might start to have health issues.

I would not recommend eating exactly the same thing every day unless you've got a good handle on what your body needs nutritionally.