'Clean' Bulking

Options
What is 'clean bulking' and how is it achieved?? I understand that the 'bulking' would indicate an increase and building up of muscle mass, but what is it when 'clean' is added to the term??

Replies

• spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    That is a reference to the kinds of foods you use to increase your calories for the bulk. Some people use cheeseburgers and fries and junky high calorie food, the clean version is upping your calories with more healthy foods like chicken breast, veggies, whole milk and nuts etc..

Refer to muscleandstrength.com or bodybuilding.com for information on proper body building diets
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    ^ obvioulsy has no idea what hes saying.. it mean to rinse your food properly 2x. shesh, its so simple :drinker:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ^ obvioulsy has no idea what hes saying.. it mean to rinse your food properly 2x. shesh, its so simple :drinker:
    qpUPq.gif
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Actually as it pertains to bulking, I believe that clean or lean bulking just refers to a smaller surplus and not necessarily a reference to the individual food selection.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It usually means eating "clean", healthy foods during your bulk, instead of "junk" such as McDonalds, takeaways, pizza etc.. I've also noticed that most clean bulks seem to have a limit on the calorie intake, for example, 500 calories above maintenance, instead of just eating anything and everything in sight.

My bulk consisted of whatever foods I liked as long as I was hitting macro goals and getting enough fruit, veg, fibre etc. This turned out to be mostly healthy foods, but if I was struggling to meet calories or just fancied some junk, I would have that too. I had a limit on my calories (2800 net) I wasn't fussed that much if I went over, but I tried to stay around this. The way I see it, there's only so much muscle you can gain in a time period anyway, if I ate everything I felt like with no limit, I'd just get even more fat!
  • nutandbutter
    nutandbutter Posts: 447
    Options
    Actually as it pertains to bulking, I believe that clean or lean bulking just refers to a smaller surplus and not necessarily a reference to the individual food selection.

QFT. It has nothing to do with the actual foods consumed. Larger surplus = dirty bulk (or fulk).
  • wolftrax
    wolftrax Posts: 50
    Options

This is the correct definition...you can also soak the foods in 50% bleach water for more cleanliness..the cleaner the food = the cleaner the bulk..