Push through it or see a doctor? (running)

Options
fae14
fae14 Posts: 54 Member
I used to be in the air force and during basic training, my legs felt like they were on fire every time I ran, to the point of going back to the barracks and taking a COLD shower to ease the pain when PT was over. Now, every time I run I get a sharp pain in both of my shins. I've been told that it's shin splints, but all of the research I've read says that they go away. I've had this sort of painful experience for years every time I run or jog, but only when it's on cement or grass, not on a treadmill. I even feel it when I long for long periods of time where my stride is too long.

I recently found out that I don't have flat feet, but I'm pretty close and that I need good arch support and lots of cushion in my shoe. So I got a new pair of running shoes and I went for a power walk and I threw in a 15 second jogging sprint in there and, again, it hurt. My husband is in the army and really wants me to run with him and I would love to be a runner, too.

Is this a normal kind of pain that I should push through...like muscle development...or should I see a doc and see if I have stress fractures?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Did you get those new running shoes at a specialty running store where they did a fitting for you? Shin splint will usually go away when you have the proper footwear. Ice packs on your shins will help with the internal swelling and the pain.
  • fae14
    Options
    Did you get those new running shoes at a specialty running store where they did a fitting for you?

I did. I went to Scheels. It's the only local running/fitness/outdoor sports store that I know of around here. They're a pair of ASICS.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Did you get those new running shoes at a specialty running store where they did a fitting for you?

I did. I went to Scheels. It's the only local running/fitness/outdoor sports store that I know of around here. They're a pair of ASICS.

I would keep any running to a slow, easy pace until the pain goes away. No sprinting. Use some ibuprofen to help with the inflammation too.
  • ichangedmyname3
    ichangedmyname3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd be seeing a doctor just in case. You can never be too sure.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    It can be from other factors aside from the shoes.

Read this thread, not just the first post. There are good posts throughout.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    As someone who is currently in a boot for another 5.5 weeks (8 total) due to a stress fracture and who is not allowed to run (which I LOVE), my advice is go see a dr. If it's a real issue you need to have it addressed and dealt with. Running on it could mess you up permanently. Just my 2 cents on the matter. Good luck and I hope you figure it out soon!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    There is so much that goes into running. As mentioned shoes are essential. You need the ones that give you the proper arch support, cushioning and are correct for your stride and style. If the shoe are a fit, then you need to look into other things. If you can't squeeze out a mile 3 times a week with a good 5 minute warm up and some stretching, I would see a podiatrist. Hopefully one that also runs.

I have had all sorts of issues and a couple of surgeries. Strength training for your legs with machines, or old fashioned lunges and squats, good warm ups and stretching are just as important as good running shoes. Build slowly.

If you need ice and/or Motrin after every run, I would see a doctor if you are in shape. If you are really heavy, it's going to take a while.

Good luck.
  • fae14
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I am going to call my doc Monday morning and set up a time to see her. I live in an area with a lot of runners, and I'm so envious of them because they can do it and I can't. If I don't have anything stopping me from becoming a runner, I'll start on those exercises that were mentioned.

I'm getting excited that this isn't something I'll have to deal with every time I do more than power walk!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Generally, any time you have to ask, "should I see a doctor", the answer is yes.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I ran on a broken foot for two years before I saw a doctor - I had pain, but "pushed through" and all that got me was surgery in the end. Now I cannot wear heels at all due to pain, even after the surgery. I *wish* I could go back to my 20 year old self and say GO TO THE DOCTOR! So, even if the doctor tells you it's shin splints, I think it's worth it in the end to be sure. Good luck and I hope you are someday pain free when running!
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    Yes, go to the doc. I've been having foot pain, thought a new pair of running shoes would solve it, doc thinks I have a stress fracture. I'm dying to hit the treadmill again but I don't want to do worse damage (already suspect I ran on it for a while), so I'm waiting to hear back for sure before I get back to moving.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    1. Definitely consult your doctor.

2. Check your running stride. You should land on the mid-part of your foot, not on the heel. Running with a heel strike is killer for shin splints. That is what I had been doing wrong and was paying for it, like you are. Once I learned how to run so that I landed on the mid-part of the foot instead of the heel I stopped having the shin pain.

3. Stretching exercises targeting those muscles really do help. Toe raises and heel raises help as does, while sitting down and extending your leg, write the alphabet in the air with your toes (seems silly but it works).

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted out. Shin splints are very painful and can lead to more serious injuries.
  • jennetsullivan
    jennetsullivan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to be a runner (before I fell in love with cycling) I did a lot of research on it because I had a similar problem, mainly due to my weight, and had CONSANT shin issues. Nothing helped. As I was researching it someone recommended doing some toe strike research. Once I started running "toe-strike" or "toe-first" or "toe running" the shin splints literally disappeared.

I highly recommend people interested in running give it a look. It changed the way I ran completely and not only had increased times but also had less pain. Here are a few of the links that I looked at:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/toe-running.htm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo (this was one of the best things that sealed the deal for me)
    http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/foot-strike.html (good comparison)
    http://www.thepeacefulrunner.com/foot-strike.html#axzz1w4ynUOcn

No matter what you do, good luck!! :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    An exercise that (might) help with shin splints:

Put a tube sock on the ground, flat. With your foot over it, heel touching the sock/ground and using your toes, scrunch the sock up into a ball.