Polar FT4 vs Polar FT7

Options
I am in the market for a HRM. I have never owned one. I have been reading reviews and comparing the 2 Polar models I listed above.My brother has the Polar FT 7 and loves his.

My questions are: .... Is the only difference the computer capabilities?
Is there a difference between womens and mens other than the colors?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Replies

• SarahE1092
    SarahE1092 Posts: 83
    Options
    anyone???
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's another thread on this somewhere. What I remember is that the 7 saves more workouts.

Here's one of the threads comparing them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/484861-polar-4-vs-polar-7?hl=Polar+FT4+vs+Polar+FT7++#posts-6719897
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and it works great for me.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT7 because, at the time, I found a deal on the FT7 which made it only a couple dollars more than the FT4. I thought that, for essentially the same price, I would like to have its ablity to remember more workout information; but, to tell you the truth, I've never used that function. I record my exercise information on MFP fairly soon after exercising, and then I'm done with it. I have been very happy with the FT7, but I think I would have been just as happy with the FT4. I'm glad I didn't spend any more than a couple dollars extra for the FT7, as I don't think it really offers anything of value over the FT4 for me.

The Polar website has a chart comparing the various HRMs and their features. You might take a look there. I think to see the chart you have to choose to compare the two models you're interested in. Either way, I think you'll be happy with a Polar HRM, no matter which you get.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Here's my advice on HRM(s). I have the FT7 and the FT6

1: Make sure the strap and watch have the ability to easily change the batteries. The FT7 is really easy and I love it while the FT6 strap does not.

2: Make sure the strap is the clip on kind that does not easily unclip on you while adjustng on your chest. FT7 is great, FT6 NOT.

I can only speak for the FT7, not the FT4.
  • SarahE1092
    SarahE1092 Posts: 83
    Options
    OKay.. thanks! I think I will go with the FT7, I am gonna spend the extra money and buy it from REI, since they have a 100% return policy. In case I do not like it I can return it.

Thanks again!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the difference is in a few programming features. FT4 works well for me, and when I was looking at both FT7 and FT4, the extra features did not really justified the extra money for me...

Good luck!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    FT7 has a fitness test and you can put in your own VO2 max. Polar website lets you compare www.polarusa.com (I think that is the name). ... I love the FT7
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    OKay.. thanks! I think I will go with the FT7, I am gonna spend the extra money and buy it from REI, since they have a 100% return policy. In case I do not like it I can return it.

Thanks again!

If you're a member and it's not on sale, you can use your member coupon through tomorrow - 20 or 30% off, I don't recall.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    has anyone tried to use the wearlink+ strap with Nike+? Is the strap on the FT4 or FT7 the same one needed for that compatibility?
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Question - do you have to have the FlowLink in order to transfer data to the computer? Or does the FT4 or FT7 have some sort of other way to transfer data? Just trying to figure out how much it would cost to get one and be able to log it all on MFP. Thanks!