Emotional Eating

Options
Right now I am dealing with my Nannie being very ill, they say that she only as a few days left and it has been very hard on all of us. I have done very well without over eating as I normally would when dealing with something emotional or stressful. So I am just wondering if what some Emotional eaters do to stop themselves from over eating. I have been overeating abit today.

Replies

• Nfairley
    Nfairley Posts: 84
    Options
    I too struggle with emotional overeating. When I'm able to control myself, I try to stay busy. I'll tackle a project, play a game, anything to take my mind off of food. I generally avoid anything that puts my mind on autopilot (e.g. talking on the phone) since I tend to "wander" and graze.

Good luck.
  • neecee101
    neecee101 Posts: 10
    Options
    I get up and go for a walk. I clean my closets and other areas in my house. i do avoid cleaning the kitchen for obvious reasons. If I really am upset, I will deliberately watch a movie, that makes me cry. I give myself a good cry. Godd luck to you and your Nanny is in my prayers.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of journaling when I'm upset instead of eating. Staying busy is a good idea, especially if you have a hobby that keeps your hands busy (knitting for me). And locking myself away from food/leaving the house so I can't eat.
  • Nfairley
    Options
    I will deliberately watch a movie, that makes me cry. I give myself a good cry. Godd luck to you and your Nanny is in my prayers.

How does this work? It sounds interesting. Does it help relieve the stress?
  • neecee101
    neecee101 Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes, it does relieve stress for me. I let all my emotions go. I think letting it out is good for you. By time the movie is over, I am bawling. i think we hold alot in, just to be strong, well it gives you that excuse to not be strong. Try it.
  • Nfairley
    Options
    I think that's a good idea, especially for me. I do tend to eat a lot of stress during the day, feel powerless, etc etc.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I will deliberately watch a movie, that makes me cry. I give myself a good cry. Godd luck to you and your Nanny is in my prayers.

How does this work? It sounds interesting. Does it help relieve the stress?

I do this too. Sometimes if I'm really upset, I put on the notebook and will sob for hours. It really relieves the stress, the pent up emotion is all cried out, and you take a nap and get the rest you didn't realize you weren't getting. I also write in a journal, draw (I tend to do the best artwork when I'm upset), go for a walk/zumba/run. Anything to keep my mind busy.

I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers.
  • jowriter
    jowriter Posts: 4
    Options
    Sometimes what I do is I drink a big glass of water - I find that if I get in that state that drinking a glass of water makes me feel like I don't need to munch on anything. That and gum. I can chew a pack of sugar free gum a day if I am stressed.