People who gave up soda

Options
How much did you drink before, and how long did it take before you stopped feeling like crap?

Replies

• MelanieLeanne
    Options
    I would drink 2-3 a day. I gave them up cold turkey & had cravings for the next week. But after that, my body felt 110% better. I also lost a few pounds just from doing so.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's been years - but I used to drink ONLY soda. I have no idea how much a drank, because I got it for free at work AND went through a case of 24 at home/week.

Needless to say, it was a lot. The first week was hard. First I stopped drinking it at home. Then I held myself to 1 at work. Then I stopped all together. The caffeine withdrawal was the hardest part :/
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If I had it at home I would drink 1 a day but I had about 3-4 a week on a regular week.

The first week was the hardest not just because of the soda though... I still have some sometimes but only at parties where there's no choice of water because it's better than alcohol.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I used to have at least 2-3 20 oz bottles a day. Instead of soda I drink tea or iced tea, so I didn't have the caffine withdrawal. I occassionally try to go caffine-free, but I can't stick to it - the headaches get to me. Good luck and keep it up.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I gave up regular soda a couple years ago... I still have some every now and then if I don't have the option of diet soda, but usually all I drink is diet. I could have up to 3 or 4 cans a day, depending on my moods. No good! I'd developed a dependency on them. Whenever I wanted something sweet, I'd have a soda. Whenever lunch didn't fill me up enough, I'd have a soda. Instead of dessert before bed, a soda.

I wasn't oblivious to any of the soda warnings, such as its contribution to weight gain, long term health issues and its ability to make you crave sugar even more, however, I chose not to believe any of it. I was stubborn and didn't believe that diet soda could make me crave sweets more than I normally do. So I conducted my own tests and went cold turkey two weeks ago.

I don't know if it's just my imagination or just me WANTING to believe it, but I feel like most of my cravings for sugars really decreased because of it. I went a full week without salivating over just the scent of anything sweet, which is a HUGE deal for me because I typically don't go longer than 2 days without having something sweet ... and that's when I REALLY try lol So a week was a huge feat for me!

Anywho... I'd like to point out that my increase in protein and fiber has also a part to play in my undeterred avoidance of sugars and sweets, so I'm sure it wasn't JUST the soda... but I do believe it helped!

After almost 2 weeks of not having ANY soda, regular or diet, I decided to have one yesterday. Shortly after that, I binged. Again, I don't know if it's a psychological thing, or if it really is the soda... I don't WANT to believe it's the soda, cause I do miss it, but then again, I've NEVER been able to stop myself from binging, nor have I ever really been able to recover from one when I WAS drinking soda, so... yeah.

That said... I'm giving up soda for good! :)

Good luck, hope this helps.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, I gave up Soda years ago! I was literally drinking 2 or 3 per day of the largest size McD's had at the time - they have an even larger size now. :noway:

I coupled giving up soda with doing something I really enjoyed but only got to do once every few year (going to a family camp with teens - who were drinking soda the majority of the time). found I was so into enjoying being at camp that I didn't crave the soda and the water satisified me just fine in between meals where lemonaide and tea were served.

I have had a few soda's here and there in since, but after each one (unless it is a last resort before meds for migraine treatment), I don't like the taste or the feeling it creates in my body.

I have also been told it is mind over matter and I guess in some way that is what I did when I was at camp - I let my mind focus on being at camp opposed to missing the soda!
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a caffeine addict, I drink coffee and unsweetened tea, so I didn't go thru withdrawal...

What I did notice, when I gave up coke zero, was my sweets cravings subsided a bit. And best of all I don't have bubble guts... I know that may be TMI but I had never really linked stomach issues with the soda until I stopped drinking it. I had one last weekend and guess what happened....drum roll.....bubble guts!

Good luck!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drank 3-4 a day, and I think it probably took me about a week to stop having headaches from them. They were just dull headaches, but never the less, they were still there. I have never felt better since I quit drinking pop though. I have so much energy, plus I lost 9 lbs from just quitting pop itself!! I don't have any ambition to start drinking pop again either. Tried a drink of my boyfriends pop the other night and it tasted horrible!