jogging without stopping/shinsplints

Options
moreno89
moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
i go for a jog 6 days a week, i just started jogging again after a month of just power walking due to shin splints.I always find myself getting tired and walk for a bit then jog again i jog more than i walk but i'm worried that if i don't take a break and walk i might get shin splints again,although my shins don't hurt when i'm jogging but my calves do,any advice on how to go all the way without stopping? and am i just paranoid?

Replies

• DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I was the same way and turns out, it was my shoes. I was in so much pain and couldn't run far at all. I'd come home and my shins and knees would hurt so bad. So, I decided to try new shoes. Within a few days, the previous pain was gone and I've had no issues since then. I was shocked that shoes had such an impact.

I hope you can find a solution, I know how frustrating it is!!
  • moreno89
    Options
    may have to give that a try! thanks :) congrats on your weight loss that's amazing :)
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • soccermoma11
    soccermoma11 Posts: 126
    Options
    I found shoes make the world of difference I get shin splints so easily I got them while in holland walking around and than came home to a big soccer tourny I couldn't walk pain free for the longest time as well as a pulled hip flexor and a back injury... I got orthotics for my shoes and now I have no more pain! IT was so worth the big bucks.
  • XFallenAngel
    Options
    Ascis Kayano 18s worked very well for me, it eliminated all lower back pain as well as pain in my eyes. Definitely the best running shoes Ive ever owned, I recommend the female equivalent of those shoes. You wont regret it!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    why do you need to get all the way without stopping? Look into the Galloway method. He uses a walk-run-walk method for Marathons and has had plenty of clients set PRs for themselves using this method. I even got a new PR on a mile recently using his method. The theory behind it is that by shifting between walking & running, you're using different muscle groups, and placing less stress on them by alternating, thus lowering your risk of injury.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The secret to combating shin splints is STRETCHING. A lot of stretching. And hydrating. And stretching. Oh, and the shoes are a no-brainer.

Here's an article I always refer to!

http://www.squidoo.com/shin-splint-stretches

I practically live in cleats for about 7 months out of the year due to playing field sports. As you can imagine, they don't offer the best support and cushioning so shin splints are pretty much a constant in my life. Definitely check out the article above, it's helped me in so many ways!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes!

A number of sports shoe shops here do a fitting, where they look at your feet, and how you walk and run, and then find the shoes to match.

I was fitted with some new balance 880's and I love them
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was quitting running then after the shin splints healed starting again and increasing speed/distance much slower. I hope you have good luck.
  • moreno89
    Options
    why do you need to get all the way without stopping? Look into the Galloway method. He uses a walk-run-walk method for Marathons and has had plenty of clients set PRs for themselves using this method. I even got a new PR on a mile recently using his method. The theory behind it is that by shifting between walking & running, you're using different muscle groups, and placing less stress on them by alternating, thus lowering your risk of injury.
    oh good! i do that but i just thought it would be more beneficial if i ran the whole time. thanks that's good to know :)
  • moreno89
    Options
    thanks so much to you all.
  • Starklover
    Starklover Posts: 57
    Options
    I get horrible shin splints, even though this wont help you for running, but my chiropractor told me that standing with your back against a wall and flexing your toes up strengthens the muscles in the front of your calve and can help with shin splints. i have only been doing it for a week or so, twice a day doing 3 sets of 20 lifts, but it seems to be helping. Also if you have a friend/SO who can help, sitting down and having your legs straight out have them help you stretch your calves/shins by gently pulling your toes down to the floor, and then gently pushing them back towards you... the combination of this has really helped me!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes! Go get fit for shoes at a running store! This has helped me so much! Also stretch, ice, and drink lots of water!! And listen to your body. If your really sore...it might be time to take a day or two off and rest so you dont get hurt!