What do you grow to eat?

Options
FTIM2015
FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
So... What do you grow in your garden, allotment, window sill to cook with or eat?

So far we have strawberries, sweet pepper seedlings, spuds and a selection of herbs!

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, snap peas, green beans, different varieties of peppers, zucchini, broccoli, chard, rapini, carrots, and....I am sure there is more but I can't remember.

Oh, yeah, cilantro, rosemary, tons of basil, chives and sweet potatoes. (the potatoes were volunteer, they are growing out of the compost bin and I'm just going to go with it.

I love tending to the garden, there is something magical about going out there to water and tend before work in the mornings. :heart:
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes (all kinds including heirloom), peppers, baby lettuce, garlic, and herbs. We also have orange and lemon trees but the fruit leaves something to be desired :-(
  • JordanandJacque
    JordanandJacque Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We have watermelon, cantaloupe, green beans, peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, blackberries, strawberries, two fruit trees- apple and nectarine. I also love to garden. There's just something about growing your own food!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    We are growing Kale, Romaine lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, yellow and green beans.
    Some Oregano, Basil, chives, chocolate mint, lavender, thyme.

Good Luck with your garden. :bigsmile:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes (all kinds including heirloom), peppers, baby lettuce, garlic, and herbs. We also have orange and lemon trees but the fruit leaves something to be desired :-(
    Jealous of your tropical fruit trees. It's always been a fantasy of mine to have lime, avocado, fig and mango trees. That ain't gonna happen in Michigan. :laugh:
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, onions, new potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes. I will have a cheat day when my first large tomato is ready because I have to have a tomato and mayo sandwich - heavenly. After that I just slice a tomato for each meal or have on a salad. :tongue:
  • alli_baba
    Options
    Jealous of your tropical fruit trees. It's always been a fantasy of mine to have lime, avocado, fig and mango trees. That ain't gonna happen in Michigan. :laugh:
    Trust me -- the orange trees are a zero (way too sour of fruit and too many seeds). Maybe if I knew what I was doing, I would grow an edible type of orange tree.

Besides, you have lovely blueberries and cherries (I have family in Traverse City and I love Michigan cherries!!!!)
  • alli_baba
    Options
    Tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, onions, new potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and radishes. I will have a cheat day when my first large tomato is ready because I have to have a tomato and mayo sandwich - heavenly. After that I just slice a tomato for each meal or have on a salad. :tongue:
    Aren't fresh tomatoes the best? I buy some fresh mozzarella and layer with tomatoes and basil for a caprese salad -- my favorite summer salad!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, peppers, onions (gotta make homemade salsa), green beans, spinach, lettuce, and sugar snap peas in the garden. A separate patch with asparagus and rhubarb. Plus we have a cherry tree (although with the weird weather it bloomed early then got torched by frost so not many cherries this year :( ), blueberry bushes, strawberries (too tiny of fruit though, have to figure out how to fertilize) and oh, yes, raspberries. Can't wait for fresh blueberries and raspberries soon!
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had kale and cherry tomatoes already died out for the summer, it's hot here!

Now just:

3 types of peppers
    a gorgeous rosemary plant
    basil
    chives
    a meyer lemon tree :)
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've eaten lettuce and herbs from my garden so far this year. My strawberries fizzeled out. I have tomatoes and cucumbers growing.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Summer gardening in the Phoenix area is tough... well, at least for me. I have quite a bit of mint right now (mojitos anyone?), some radishes, green beans... I think that is about it right now. The heat got to just about everything else already.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    mint
    chives
    cilantro
    basil
    Following havent fruited yet
    peppers
    strawberries
    raspberries
    blueberries
    zuchinni
    green beans
    peas
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just started a balcony garden. So far I have bell peppers, rosemary, mint and catnip (for the cats).
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Tomato, spinach, head lettuce, romaine lettuce, leafy green lettuce, beans, peppers and cucumber
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, tarragon, lemon thyme, dill, fennel, garlic chives, onion chives...and probably something I haven't thought of. I fancy myself as a novice chef and use all of these for cooking.

Edit: Yep, how could I forget .. basil.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Cats.
  • grumpers
    grumpers Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    we are eating the last of our broccoli tonight and need to harvest a "volunteer" cauliflower that surprised us! We've pulled and stored our onions planted last fall, finished the lettuce, and first round of tomatoes and peppers. Cucumbers are presently pickling and bush beans starting to go in the heat. Last weekend put in corn, carrots and radishes. The oregano and mint are currently threatening to take over the world, but the dill and basil are making a brave stand for space :-) So much fun being able to walk out and get something for breakfast or dinner that is really fresh!
  • reginapeak
    reginapeak Posts: 24
    Options
    Beef- and chickens for eggs. LOVE fresh eggs. :wink:
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Summer gardening in the Phoenix area is tough... well, at least for me. I have quite a bit of mint right now (mojitos anyone?), some radishes, green beans... I think that is about it right now. The heat got to just about everything else already.

Yeah, its tough here in Texas during the summer as well. I already have to water my plants everyday. Seems like the mint is the only thing that survives the heat, so mojitos it is!