How long after eating to exercising?

Options
lindsy721
lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
It seems like common sense not to jump right into a strenuous workout 5 minutes after a filling meal, but how long does one wait after eating to exercise? Would an hour be long enough?

Replies

• today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually go walking when i finish dinner. About 15 min warm up walking moderate, 15 min speed up to make sure i dont get a cramp. I find it depends what and how much you eat.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Probably depends on what kind of exercise you're going to do. I usually wait 1-1 1/2 hours after breakfast to exercise. If I workout any earlier than that it makes me sick. If I'm just doing something light like yoga then I don't have to wait as long, but if my heart rate is going to be flying I definitely wait.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    90 minutes if I plan on doing something intense - like some boxing or hard cycling.

I'll do low intensity immediately after eating though (walking...)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I usually wait an hour. My normal routine consists of a pre-workout snack like a bar or pb toast so I typically don't wait but 15 to 30 minutes but if I have a normal sized meal I will wait at least an hour.
  • Outcastjack
    Options
    Depends what you have eaten and how intensive the exercise will be.
    Red meat sits in your stomach for a long time, pasta/bread etc fairly quick and sugery things are almost instant, during bike rides i will eat a bannana or similar, and during races I eat gummy bears.
    For general fitness training (around 150 bpm hr) I am generally ok an hour or so after eating more or less anything.

I find for more intensive things eg rowing races (6-7mins at 200+ bpm) I eat around three hours before, largely pasta and then eat some sweets about 30 mins before.

Hope that helps
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    usually an hour after a light meal. i take a pre workout supplement about 30 minutes before the workout.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I workout first thing in the morning and have I have minimum of 250 calories prior to working out (like 15 min) and then another 250 during my lifting session. Or sometimes depending on what I have a available to me I'll have 500 to 600 calories at once before I lift.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    On lifting days, I get some oats in me about 15 - 30 minutes before I start getting under the racks.
    On cardio days, if I'm cycling it doesn't matter. However, if I'm running it will have to either be on an empty stomach with very little water or I will have to run slower.

I think it just depends on your body and how it reacts to the various stimuli you subject it to while under/not under the influence of food. I do think you should always have some fuel in the tank before lifting though :)
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I do p90x and Insanity and they both suggest at least 1 hour wait after eating to digest your food. Personally I workout before I eat.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a meal is energizing...and makes you ready to go get 'em. Other times my digestion needs to work at it first. I like to exercise just before I start to get hungry again.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't do anything strenuous on a full stomach, so a minimum of an hour wait after eating, usually longer. If I'm doing more strenuous yoga, then at least 2 or 3 hours. A light snack, OTOH, 15 minutes before is fine.
  • adayada
    adayada Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i watched on dr. oz a few weeks ago that you should eat something like a prtien shake or just something lite 20 minutes before you work out ,,,,,because if you work out on an empty tummy your body will burn muscle ,,,,on a satisfied tummy you will burn fat,,,..granted you burn the same amt. of calories both ways ,,,,but you do not want to burn muscle