UGH.... we all hate it.. ACNE...

Options
Jessie1227
Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
I don't know if this is in the correct section but I didn't want to put it in the "Fitness" part of the forum, either. Anyone find that working out more brings on the breaking out?! Or maybe it's just hormonal, but I notice it more now that I've been working out alot. It's embarrassing! I work out and I sweat like crazy but I wash my face like there's no tomorrow and still get stubborn acne. I guess I'm just curious as to what anyone else here uses as a daily face cleanser. I use l'oreal go 360 clean for sensitive skin...

Replies

• LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use Cetaphil cleanser, followed by a glycolic acid toner and moisturizing gel. Then, for day I use a Boscia oil-free moisturizer with SPF and at night I use an intense moisture gel from Clinique on top of the glycolic.

But honestly? My skin did not improve until I significantly reduced the amount of dairy in my diet.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I use Cetaphil cleanser, followed by a glycolic acid toner and moisturizing gel. Then, for day I use a Boscia oil-free moisturizer with SPF and at night I use an intense moisture gel from Clinique on top of the glycolic.

But honestly? My skin did not improve until I significantly reduced the amount of dairy in my diet.

It's funny that you say that!

I recently got taken off of a number of things (including dairy) due to intolerances and my skin has gotten SOOO much better.
    Also since I started drinking around 2L of water a day my skin has gotten better.

But I do still get random ones and since I started working out regularly I now get the odd one on my back or on my ribs where my sports bra sits.
  • Jessie1227
    Jessie1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

It's funny that you say that!

I recently got taken off of a number of things (including dairy) due to intolerances and my skin has gotten SOOO much better.
    Also since I started drinking around 2L of water a day my skin has gotten better.

But I do still get random ones and since I started working out regularly I now get the odd one on my back or on my ribs where my sports bra sits.

I don't eat too much with dairy in it so I don't know if that's a problem or not. I drink a lot of water, about 12-13 cups a day.. It's not horrible acne, just random annoying spots like you say... Still frustrating! lol
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain, I thought by 28 I'd be done with blemish creams but apparently not lol
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I have sensitive skin, and I used to get acne. I don't anymore. I don't wash my face more than once a day. I don't use soaps or chemicals unless I wore makeup or sunblock lotion that day. My face broke out because it was too dry from overwashing.
  • lindsschou
    lindsschou Posts: 24
    Options
    It's important to stay moisturized! I use witch hazel which can be purchased from some drug stores and all natural food stores I have been to, helped me alot
  • domnut
    domnut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but then I have always had crappy skin... thought mine would be gone by now as well now that I am 26 but unfortunately not :( I use proactive and it works for me. I find that at first it dries out your skin a bit too much but then your skin seems to adjust and it gets better.

I also find that if I cut sugary/salty food significantly from my diet that my skin gets better. I haven't tried the dairy thing but I think I will give that a try too!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had ridiculously bad acne when I was in my late 20s. Perfect skin all through high school, early 20s... then BAM! I looked like a burn victim. The only products that worked for me were Mario Badescu. It's a bit on the pricey side, but my skin is back to perfect again.

When I first signed up with them they sent a sample pack of products--pretty good sized, truly enough to see if they'd help--for free, based on the skin survey I filled out. I don't know if they still do that (this was about 10 years ago...ack!), but it's worth checking out.

Good luck!
  • katenmills
    katenmills Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Okay, at the risk of sounding like an infomercial, I use Proactiv. I've been using it for 5-6 years and it has DEFINITELY worked for me. When I use it twice a day, every day, I never get pimples 0_o. The only downside is that it takes about 20 mins to apply the three layers + a moisturiser (I use a Nivea Oil-Free one).
  • el_miller
    el_miller Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to have really bad cystic acne until I started using LEROSETT, The Organic Acne Solution, by Gunilla of Sweden. Within 2 months of applying it twice a day, I was completely acne free!! It also lightened my scars and makes my complexion smooth and even. For maintainance, I now use it only at night. It was a total life-saver.
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    honey is great for it. look it up.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've encountered the same problem but i always find eating better & lots of water helps and the acne usually levels off after a couple weeks and my face returns to normal. I've also heard great things about cleansing with oil. Its an odd concept but it makes sense once its explained.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is in the correct section but I didn't want to put it in the "Fitness" part of the forum, either. Anyone find that working out more brings on the breaking out?! Or maybe it's just hormonal, but I notice it more now that I've been working out alot. It's embarrassing! I work out and I sweat like crazy but I wash my face like there's no tomorrow and still get stubborn acne. I guess I'm just curious as to what anyone else here uses as a daily face cleanser. I use l'oreal go 360 clean for sensitive skin...
    It seems counter-intuitive, but washing your face too often will make acne worse.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I use l'oreal go 360 clean for sensitive skin...

I used this for a long time every day but it was drying my skin out so bad I was getting a scaly patch on my jaw line. I switched to using it once a week or less and at night, I use one of the Neutrogena makeup remover sheet thingys and it's great. I barely get acne anymore. What also helps is switching makeup - I went from liquid foundation to using Bare Minerals and that helped so much too!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I use an Indian brand - himalaya neem facewash... It's supposedly herbal. Seems to have been helping, tho i'm not very consistent with my skin care an do still break out sometimes. Otherwise I also use clean and clear morning burst, which used to work great but seems to have dried me out over the winter :(
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My face is bad right now. Mine is directly related to my diet. Hubby knows when I've been sneaking in the crap food because it shows all over my face.
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    it sounds insane but i only use a mixture of castor oil with extra virgin olive oil. I was skeptical because of course I thought "putting oil on my face is suppose to clean it and NOT break me out?..no way!" lol but about 3 months later and my skin is better than ever. To be fair, I didn't have bad skin before but the occasional blemish and noticeable pores. This has been the ONLY thing to ever make my pores look better. Castor Oil is very cleansing and "purges" impurities from your skin. plus this is all very cheap. Oddly enough though castor oil can be very drying if you use too much. I have oily skin and use about 1/2 and 1/2. if you have dry skin i would recommend 1/4 castor oil to 3/4 EVOO. I mix it up and leave a container by my sink... i wet my face with warm water, then rub the oil all over. If you have time (and i try to do this once in a while) get your washcloth wet with as hot of water as you can stand and just lay it over you face with the oil.... relax for a few minutes until the cloth cools off then wipe the oil off your face. Pat dry and be amazed how soft your skin feels! when i'm in a hurry, after i apply the oil, i just scrub it off with the washcloth. It removes makeup and everything very well! Try it for a few days and let me know what you think! :) also, for more info you can look up "the oil cleansing method"