What book(s) are you reading?

13»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King yesterday.

I absolutely LOVED that book. Read it over a weekend, staying up half the night because I couldn't put it down. I hope you like it.

I read about a hundred pages yesterday...got really into it...can't wait to get started on the next section tomorrow. King is kind of hit and miss for me, I either love his books or can't get past the first few chapters...I think I'm gonna really like this one, though.

I don't normally like sci-fi, but this one sucked me in. It got me to open up to sci-fi (since it's sort of historical sci-fi) and read Under the Dome next, which I also really liked, except that I found the ending cheesy and thus the premise of the book (Dome) got whacked out of line for me...
  • ryuusei7
    ryuusei7 Posts: 4 Member
    I just finished Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth. They were both very good!! Can't wait for the final part of the trilogy.

Now I'm reading Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - thus far, it is very realistic and thought-provoking as well as beautifully written.

Yay literature!
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    I'm about 2/3 done with the complete Sherlock Holmes collection!

What's your fave so far? I'm not that far along, but I think my favorite remains the Hound of the Baskervilles.

ohh jeez lol. I really dont remember since Ive read soooo many of the cases over like 8 months time.. I don't really have time to read it when i'm in school, so it get's staggered. I know I have a favorite but I cant think of it at the moment. What I do know is I wish i lived in the 1880's London!
  • Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King yesterday.

I absolutely LOVED that book. Read it over a weekend, staying up half the night because I couldn't put it down. I hope you like it.

I read about a hundred pages yesterday...got really into it...can't wait to get started on the next section tomorrow. King is kind of hit and miss for me, I either love his books or can't get past the first few chapters...I think I'm gonna really like this one, though.

I don't normally like sci-fi, but this one sucked me in. It got me to open up to sci-fi (since it's sort of historical sci-fi) and read Under the Dome next, which I also really liked, except that I found the ending cheesy and thus the premise of the book (Dome) got whacked out of line for me...

I'm kind of a nerd, especially when it comes to books/movies dealing with time travel...so when I saw this on the Kindle store yesterday I had to get it...especially since I've always been real into the JFK thing, as well.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Hunger Games Trilogy
    Inheritance Cycle
    Twilight Saga
    Mitch Rapp Series
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I've just finished "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness.
    I'm in two minds about this one, and whether I want to read any more in this series. I get annoyed by authors who write with deliberately poor grammar and spelling to illustrate the lack of education of the main character, and im not quite convinced about the underlying premise, but I did get hooked into the story.
    I'd love to hear from someone who has read the rest - should I keep going?
  • MoreBean13
    OP- I realized I posted in your thread here a few times without answering your original question...are the Hunger Games and Fifty Shades examples of the types of books you like? I read like a fiend so if I knew what type you like I might be able to suggest some...I read hunger games but I couldn't get through 50 shades...If you're looking for series books, I would suggest:

Charlene Harris's Southern Vampire Series- It's the basis for the HBO show True Blood, very entertaining book series- start from the beginning, even if you've watched the show
    Janet Evanovitch's Stefanie Plum series- they're sort of mystery/comedies, a bit silly and some are better than others, but there's 18 books now so it will keep you busy for a while (don't reject them just 'cause the movie sucked!)
    Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy - much darker than the other two I suggested, but very well written smart storylines and Lisbet is an awesome main character
    For more YA themed books- the Pretty Little Liars books are a guilty pleasure for me
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    The Magic of Thinking Big
  • donnakparra
    donnakparra Posts: 10 Member
    OP- I realized I posted in your thread here a few times without answering your original question...are the Hunger Games and Fifty Shades examples of the types of books you like? I read like a fiend so if I knew what type you like I might be able to suggest some...I read hunger games but I couldn't get through 50 shades...If you're looking for series books, I would suggest:

Charlene Harris's Southern Vampire Series- It's the basis for the HBO show True Blood, very entertaining book series- start from the beginning, even if you've watched the show
    Janet Evanovitch's Stefanie Plum series- they're sort of mystery/comedies, a bit silly and some are better than others, but there's 18 books now so it will keep you busy for a while (don't reject them just 'cause the movie sucked!)
    Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy - much darker than the other two I suggested, but very well written smart storylines and Lisbet is an awesome main character
    For more YA themed books- the Pretty Little Liars books are a guilty pleasure for me

I second Charlene Harris and Janet Evanovitch! I laugh out loud through a lot of the books. I am re-reading One for the Money because I wanted to watch the movie. Is it really bad? I am not a big fan of who they chose to play Stephnie at all. I consider both series to be easy reads. If you want something a bit more, try J.D. Robb's In Death series. The first book is Naked in Death and i love her books. She also writes as Nora Roberts and her triolgys are really good too.
  • MoreBean13

I second Charlene Harris and Janet Evanovitch! I laugh out loud through a lot of the books. I am re-reading One for the Money because I wanted to watch the movie. Is it really bad? I am not a big fan of who they chose to play Stephnie at all. I consider both series to be easy reads. If you want something a bit more, try J.D. Robb's In Death series. The first book is Naked in Death and i love her books. She also writes as Nora Roberts and her triolgys are really good too.

I actually liked the movie because I love the book characters...but I think if I didn't already know the story/characters it would have sucked. Ranger was the best cast person. Debbie Reynolds, though a great actress, is not good casting for grandma, and I think Sandra Bullock should have been Stefanie. Still worth seeing if you love the books though. :)
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Read Aztec by Gary Jennings!
  • booshay71
    booshay71 Posts: 20
    RUN FAT ***** RUN
  • abejita803
    abejita803 Posts: 6
    Starting with "The Righteous" from Michael Wallace.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King yesterday.
    I loved that book. I have been disgruntled with Stephen King lately, some of his books have been real stinkers lately, but this one is top-notch. Like the Old Stephen King who wrote masterpieces like The Shining.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    I'm currently waiting for my trilogy of the hunger games to come in the mail. But I am reading my all time Fav" gone with the wind"
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Currently reading a Nora Roberts book-The Witness. I needed something easy and engrossing and I am pleasantly surprised at how well she writes. I wasn't aware that she is known for her romance novels which would have prevented me from ever picking it up. But I really like it so far.
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, one of the best I've read; I'm on a Rose Pressey tear right now. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells, then th second one, Pies and Potions and I just started Murder at the Honeysuckle Hotel. I had to stop for a minute to log food. :wink:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Final Price and ... crap what was that other one called... Unclaimed...