What do you grow to eat?

Options

Replies

• sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I've got a limited space to grow things so i keep it to my favorites and the essentials. I've got herbs going on strong, tomatoes, green bell peppers, zucchini, yellow squash and plan on doing lettuce as well. It saves so much money on produce and it's homegrown organic goodness. I love having a garden! Also, we've got a lot of apple trees on the property.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb :bigsmile:
    Green & yellow zucchini
    beans
    peppers
    eggplant
    various tomatoes
    melons
    celery
    chard
    cukes
    chives
    basil
    strawberries
    thyme
    navel orange
    Meyer lemon
    satsuma mandarin

Over the winter (along with the citrus) I grow garlic, lettuce, spinach, carrots, taters, broccoli and whatever else I can plant - love seeing what grows. One of the bonuses of a year round growing season.
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    i have tomatoes strawberries and a cherry tree!!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Cilantro, garlic chives, rosemary, and I have a new tomato plant and jalapeno plant that aren't quite ready to produce anything yet
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    this spring we planted: kale, lettuce, broccoli, and snap peas.

just planted: cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, different variety of peppers (hot and sweet), beans, pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash, and honeydew.
    variety of herbs, too.

strawberries and raspberries.
    Forgot about the carrots and potatoes (sweet and red)

this fall we'll plant cabbage and spinach and put garlic in late October.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tomato plants and absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :)
  • Cgavigan
    Cgavigan Posts: 16
    Options
    We plant just a small garden but we put in: broccoli, brussels sprouts, bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, great lakes lettuce and butter crunch lettuce. And in a smaller container we have snow peas. We also just planted 4 blueberry bushes, and even have a few berries on one of them. I don't expect much from those for another year or so :)
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Strawberry, rasberries, variety of peppers, green beans, watermelon, cantelope, herbs, asparagus, spinach, mesculin, romaine lettuce...Brussels ....I'm sure I've forgotten some
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person on the planet who absolutely loathes strawberries?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have 2 tomato plants and absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :)
    That's ok, the tomatoes know all the important stuff.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have a small container garden. Tomatoes cucumbers peppers carrots basil and I know there is more... Oh onions
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    broccoli (didn't have success last year, but I'm trying again), beans (3 kinds I think), carrots, zucchini, bell pepper variety, summer squash, pumpkin, corn, cucumber, tomato (2 types) and a couple other things but I don't remember what. LOL!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    right now in our garden plots, we have

potatoes
    onions
    beets
    chard
    garlic
    peas
    nasturtiums
    tomatillos
    lavender
    thyme
    greek oregano
    peanuts
    basil
    mint (can't seem to rid)
    pickling cukes
    lettuces
    and radishes

oh, and tomatoes! 4 variety!
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    We have -
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Chillies
    Strawberries
    Potatoes
    Spinach
    Basil
    Mint
    Curry plant
    Sage
    Thyme
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    We have -
    Curry plant

oooh! i want!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    We have watermelon, cantalope, and tomatoes.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Our seedlings were extremely disappointing this years and haven't shown signs of producing anything, however were still hoping, we have tomato, zucchini, squash and spaghetti melon (mind you I have never be able to produce with my squash type plants, they fecking flower but no fruit, Things that are and will do well are the Yellow beans, mint (like a weed) and parsley. The red, white and black currents, the raspberries, strawberries, wild strawberries and rhubarb.
    Sweden's summers just don't seem long or warm enough for much, even though we baby our seedlings inside for quite a while, nights just get so cool here.

A friend on here gave me good advice on squash I'm going to try this summer, as we've always had that problem where it flowers and either no fruit or the fruit dies....when the male flower opens take a qtip and collect some pollen, and store in a ziploc bag, when the female flowers open, put some of the male pollen into the female flower.

great tip! Ill keep this in mind!
    We are trying our hand at 2 types of squash this year.
    As well as: Peas, yellow beans, radishes, cucumbers, 2 types of tomatoes, 3 types of pepers, turnips, carrots and parsley.
    Most of these are just starting to sprout now, we're very excited :D
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Great to see so many people who grow their own food! It's so rewarding to know that what you're eating is on your plate (or in your bowl!) because you've put in the care and work to make them grow!
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to grow my own fruit, but my yard is too small for my own personal orchard. Instead I have settled for tomatoes, fingerling potatoes, basil, purple basil, thyme and sage. So far they are in containers on my porch. In the fall I want to start a full vegetable garden.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    tomatos, basil, kale, radishes, chile peppers,

parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, onions

and probably something else that I'm forgetting.

eta: oh, and figs and grapes