Tips for trail running? I'm starting out. :)

Options
Hello MFP friends!

In the last year I have lost 70 pounds. All I did was eat less and hike. I currently eat between 1300 and 1500 calories a day and I hike 12-16 miles a week. Today I ran about half a mile at the end of my hike. I would love to start trail running. Any tips for a beginner would be great. Shoes, training, and nutrition.....

Replies

• Alaskan79
    Alaskan79 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good trail shoes is a must, regular tennis shoes will wear out very fast on the trail, not to mention the traction isn't the best. I personally use Salomon trail runners, they are light weight and have plenty of room in the toes. Start out on relatively flat trails, running on a trail is alot different than hiking on one.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I second the good shoes suggestion. A regular running shoe will work on all but the most technical trails. Also, walking up the hills is pretty common for trail running. Sometimes, walking up will get you to the top faster than running, depending on the hill.
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same as the previous two posts... good trail shoes are a must.
    As for actually running the trails, practice, practice, practice....
    The more you run, the faster and more confident you become. I was so afraid of falling while running down technical trails, especially downhill. Now I fly down them (well it feels like I fly LOL). Look ahead a few feet and plan where you're going to plant your foot. Don't look down at your feet all the time. I think a lot of beginners do that.. Power hiking up steep hills is expected in trail running.
    Relax and enjoy yourself.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoe comments. One of the best pieces of advice I got while starting out (from an ultra runner) - if you can't see the top of the hill, walk it.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great tips everyone! :)
  • invisible2k
    invisible2k Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do not forget to stretch before AND after. I started running outside three weeks ago, and I didn't stretch before and after my first run. My legs were killing me all day and the next. Stretch your legs out the best you can! Music is a good motivational tool as well.
  • Dynamofan
    Dynamofan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Any good websites/places to look for info on good trails?