Low Calorie, low Sodium foods, HELP!?

Options
I'm trying to find foods that are low on sodium as well as calories. I bought some light wheat bread that was low calorie, but there's alot of sodium in it. I'm trying to cut back on sodium. Any food suggestions that are quick and easy would be greatly appreciated. I"m about to just start eating Salad and chicken. As that doesn't have alot of calories or sodium.

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Try to eat as little processed foods as possible if trying to keep your sodium low. After looking at your plate, a few ways I see you can do this is to make your own oatmeal, not instant. Eat less soup, or make your own with low sodium broths. Cut out or cut down on lunch meat. Grill or bake your own meats. Cut down or make your own salad dressings. Eat fresh veggies, not packaged ones with added salt or butter. It's just a matter of trying to eat cleaner so you can control the added salt.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    unfortunately most processed foods have a lot of sodium (canned foods and especially frozen dinners - even the low calorie ones). Fresh fruits and vegetables as well as frozen bagged vegetables contain little or no sodium and are your best best. I also make sure to buy no salt butter. If you need to season, try some Mrs. Dash.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I'm trying to find foods that are low on sodium as well as calories. I bought some light wheat bread that was low calorie, but there's alot of sodium in it. I'm trying to cut back on sodium. Any food suggestions that are quick and easy would be greatly appreciated. I"m about to just start eating Salad and chicken. As that doesn't have alot of calories or sodium.

But chicken has a ton of cholesterol. Keep an eye on it if you are going to start eating chicken to support all of your meals.
  • midnightangelz
    Options
    I like tuna, and usually have to stay away from it due to the sodium, so imagine my suprise when I was buying grocieries:: Starkist Premiun Albacore tuna - Low Sodium is now availible. No carbs, high protien, and low sodium! (gold can with red 'low sodium' label)