LOW CARB DIET

Options
My DR wants me to go on one since the weight is not coming off as quickly as we had hoped for ... Anyone else do this??? If so what do you eat other than the basics meat eggs cheese and vegetables ... That could get tiring real quick

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    How low? You can still have many veggies and even a few fruits (berries and melons) on a lower carb diet.

I stay under 75 net per day (I shoot for under 50 net but damn strawberry season is wrecking that). I don't find it too hard.

My go-to snacks are:
    Jerky (I buy healthier lower sodium)
    Raw nuts
    String cheese (usually low sodium)
    Protein shakes/some protein bars
    Dark Chocolate
    Greek yogurt (although this one only if I am desperate as the unflavored not so yummy)

You can get some bread products: Sara Lee 45 & Delightful; Mission ultra thin corn tortillas; Flatout Light; Joseph's Flax Pitas; and a bunch others that have reasonable amount of carbs in them. I usually only do this one meal a day and then the others I eat only protein and salad.

Make your own spaghetti sauce and other sauces so you can avoid the added sugar they put in them (or Hunts has a no sugar added now). I also search out sugar free condiments.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    How low? You can still have many veggies and even a few fruits (berries and melons) on a lower carb diet.

I stay under 75 net per day (I shoot for under 50 net but damn strawberry season is wrecking that). I don't find it too hard.

My go-to snacks are:
    Jerky (I buy healthier lower sodium)
    Raw nuts
    String cheese (usually low sodium)
    Protein shakes/some protein bars
    Dark Chocolate
    Greek yogurt (although this one only if I am desperate as the unflavored not so yummy)

You can get some bread products: Sara Lee 45 & Delightful; Mission ultra thin corn tortillas; Flatout Light; Joseph's Flax Pitas; and a bunch others that have reasonable amount of carbs in them. I usually only do this one meal a day and then the others I eat only protein and salad.

Make your own spaghetti sauce and other sauces so you can avoid the added sugar they put in them (or Hunts has a no sugar added now). I also search out sugar free condiments.

thank you :-) well he said South Beach or Atkins ....
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Go with South Beach. The first few weeks of Atkins is really hard as you have to net less than 20 carbs which means meat and cheese and maybe 1 serving of veggies a day. Most protein shakes also have carbs so you would need to limit the use of those too.

South Beach is a little more forgiving on the carbs and people still see good results.

Good luck.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Go with South Beach. The first few weeks of Atkins is really hard as you have to net less than 20 carbs which means meat and cheese and maybe 1 serving of veggies a day. Most protein shakes also have carbs so you would need to limit the use of those too.

South Beach is a little more forgiving on the carbs and people still see good results.

Good luck.

thanks I am really nervous but we will see ... If I see the weight coming off I will stick with it for sure
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just started Dukan Diet today . One of my friends did it and in phase one ( atack) she lost 10 pounds. It was my understanding that in like Atkins Diet. Seems to be easy , so far:) I wil be at 1500-1600 cals per day, so I am really courious how the weight is going down but I struggle with the last 15-20 pound , for three months now....If you want to do it together , sent me a friend request and I can send you all the links regarding this diet. ( I can send them anyway:)) ) I will do 7 days Atack phase and they said I should expect to lose 8-10 pounds:)
    Will see:)
  • KathLup
    KathLup Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you looked in to the Paleo/Primal diets? I have been having good success with these and don't feel as hungry any more either which has been a big issue in the past for me.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Have you looked in to the Paleo/Primal diets? I have been having good success with these and don't feel as hungry any more either which has been a big issue in the past for me.

i havent but i will....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Dieting just for the sake of losing weight doesn't last. You low carb then later return to eating them and you'll gain a sufficient amount of the weight back.
    Unless you're willing to stay on a low carb diet, then it shouldn't be one you need to pursue for lifelong weight management.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Dieting just for the sake of losing weight doesn't last. You low carb then later return to eating them and you'll gain a sufficient amount of the weight back.
    Unless you're willing to stay on a low carb diet, then it shouldn't be one you need to pursue for lifelong weight management.

IDEA Fitness member

yep you are right.... So I need to chose wisely ....................
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    choose*
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I keep hearing this...if after a low carb cycle, you then eat carbs again, you will gain the weight back? this is assuming a total caloric surplus when adding the carbs back? correct?

if you add carbs back but maintain a deficit or maintenance level you wont gain the weight back?
  • deniseearheart
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I keep hearing this...if after a low carb cycle, you then eat carbs again, you will gain the weight back? this is assuming a total caloric surplus when adding the carbs back? correct?

if you add carbs back but maintain a deficit or maintenance level you wont gain the weight back?

I know I hear mixed things but I will do what my DR wants...
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's not about the calories, it's about the hormonal response when you add them back in. If the body has been carb depleted for a long enough time, then carbs are introduced, the muscles and liver will "suck" up all those carbs and store them along with water as glycogen. This will not only increase weight but increase circumference just about everywhere on the body.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's not about the calories, it's about the hormonal response when you add them back in. If the body has been carb depleted for a long enough time, then carbs are introduced, the muscles and liver will "suck" up all those carbs and store them along with water as glycogen. This will not only increase weight but increase circumference just about everywhere on the body.

IDEA Fitness member

interesting. know where I could read more on this?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. I believe there was an study on this posted in the archives of bodybuiliding.com. Or Muscular Development. Can't remember which one.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    thanks
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The average body stores something like 400-500g of glycogen, and for each gram of glycogen, 4g of water is stored. 2500g=5.5 pounds. Depleting glycogen on a low-carb diet gives a free 5+ pounds of weight loss, but it is all water weight, and comes back as soon as carbs are reintroduced. This is why the first 2 weeks on a low-carb diet show such great results, but results tend to drop off after that.

The effectiveness of low-carb diets has actually been attributed primarily to two factors:
    1) decrease in caloric intake, on average
    2) increase in protein intake, on average

A high-carb diet with the same caloric intake and protein intake as a low-carb diet yields the same weight loss when controlling for water weight. There is an argument for low-carb diets once you are at extremely low body fat levels, but for most people who are just trying to lose weight, there is really no advantage other than that which you get eating fewer calories and more protein.

Edit: To OP: I still recommend following your doctor's advice. There is a lot of expertise here, but if he feels that a low-carb diet will elicit better compliance from you and make you healthier, I, being a random person from the internet, am not going to second-guess him.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Cold day in hell when I listen to my doctor for nutritional advice. I think the majority of them have like a MINUSCULE amount of time dedicated to nutrition and actually understanding it. This is not who I want my advice from.
  • deniseearheart
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Cold day in hell when I listen to my doctor for nutritional advice. I think the majority of them have like a MINUSCULE amount of time dedicated to nutrition and actually understanding it. This is not who I want my advice from.

well I saw a dietitian as well and she agreed..... I think I will take their advice they have the degrees after all